NCL Spirit dress code question/traveling light

ConnCruise

We're on the Spirit for a 12 nighter from Venice to Barcelona, leaving Oct 14. From past travels we know denim jeans are great daytime wear in European cities.

I'm assuming, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that "decent" jeans are now OK in the dinning rooms of the Spirit.

Hoping to travel as light as possible and make extensive use of the ships laundry too, so if anyone has any experience with that service on the boat, please advise.

We're on the Spirit for a 12 nighter from Venice to Barcelona, leaving Oct 14. From past travels we know denim jeans are great daytime wear in European cities.

I'm assuming, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that "decent" jeans are now OK in the dinning rooms of the Spirit.

Hoping to travel as light as possible and make extensive use of the ships laundry too, so if anyone has any experience with that service on the boat, please advise.

Here's the CC section for the NCL dress code, http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545

Norwegian Cruise Line

The Code: Norwegian has no formal dress code. For dinner, collared shirts and pants or "nice" jeans are suggested for men, and slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts, and tops for women. Suggested dress applies to dinner in all restaurants.

Number of Formal Nights: There are no official formal nights. One restaurant each night is reserved for those who want to "dress up," but no dress code is specified.

Nightly Casual Option: It's all casual, save for the one restaurant that's been reserved as a spot for potentially dressing up.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Swimwear is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant -- so long as you put on a cover-up. Jeans in the main dining room and specialty restaurants are acceptable as long as they aren't overly faded, with holes or tears or worn below the hips.

Jeans are allowed in any dining venue, at any time, on any NCL ship. There is a very non-restrictive dress code on NCL ships. It can be summarized as "no shorts at night in the more formal of the two main dining rooms, and at least one of the specialty restaurants (usually LeBistro)". Of course they still frown upon ratty jeans and t-shirts, flip flops, etc., but decent jeans are NEVER an issue on NCL.

On all our cruisies 1 dining room is for more casual dressed, and the other is for people who wish to get a little more dressed up. Jeans were fine and so were nice dress shorts and polo shirts that my DH wore.

It's my understanding that jeans of any kind are a NO NO in the MDRs. But many do and nothing is said. Others say that they have been turned away on formal nights. I would take a pair of slacks or a dress that was easy to pack just in case. But you can always wear jeans at the buffet.

This is incorrect. Jeans are always allowed. There are also NO formal nights requiring nicer clothing on NCL ships. There will be a couple nights on this trip where NCL makes dressing up easier for passengers that want to do so. They've been called "dress up or not night", or "NCL night out" (or similar), and they will have photographers, etc. like on a formal night. HOWEVER, there is no additional dress code. Jeans are perfectly fine on these nights, as are shorts in most of the dining venues. NCL is very casual, and their lack of a restrictive dress code is one of my favorite aspects of the line

This is incorrect. Jeans are always allowed. There are also NO formal nights requiring nicer clothing on NCL ships. There will be a couple nights on this trip where NCL makes dressing up easier for passengers that want to do so. They've been called "dress up or not night", or "NCL night out" (or similar), and they will have photographers, etc. like on a formal night. HOWEVER, there is no additional dress code. Jeans are perfectly fine on these nights, as are shorts in most of the dining venues. NCL is very casual, and their lack of a restrictive dress code is one of my favorite aspects of the line

You are correct and after I responded realized I was wrong and edited my response..................thanks for having sharp eyes and quick fingers! And, a nice way of letting me know of my error!

That is the one main thing that I like about NCL, you never have to wear a jacket or tie but may if you wish. Casual clothes are good all the time. Just don't get too carried away with rips, tears, or dirt.

What's with wearing jeans? You think you're at a rodeo?

If you haven't noticed, most of the western world (no pun intended) wears jeans even if not in a rodeo. I'm not sure how you could have not noticed this

What you wear is NCL "Freestyle"

Here's what NCL has to say http://www.ncl.com/new-to-cruising/why-freestyle-cruising

In our world, that translates into the freedom to dress up or down. To catch a sunrise from your own private balcony or sleep in. To take in some never-before-seen-at-sea entertainment. And to eat in a different restaurant every day of your cruise, on your own schedule. Whether it’s exhilaration or relaxation you’re looking for, we’ve got it all. When you have thousands of choices, all of them right, that’s Freestyle Cruising. Only on Norwegian Cruise Line. And you’ll see it makes all the difference in the world.

Agree completely Mike. Last Euro cruise on Celebrity, so I had tons of clothes. Lots of work-corporate casual and a suit and sports coat, too. Jeans were ubiquitous in all the cities we visited. Two pair of jeans fit the bill perfectly for me, when touring during the day. If only Celeb allowed jeans at night.....

So glad NCL has seen the light.

Archived