Galveston Web Cam

sharonny

Currently on the ship. They are saying scheduled maintenance but apparently it appears to be an on going issue. Originally we were to leave at 4:00, then changed to 8:00, currently 9:30, and now the update is "they will let us know".....

Y'all are off!! HAVE TONS OF FUN! Take care of her, we'll be on her next week! :D

Maybe they are going to back up to Jamaica.. I'm thinking if the thrusters aren't working they can't spin it around in the harbor.. they just pulled straight in this morning. usually they are facing the other way.:eek:

they have 97 days to figure this out..

Maybe they are going to back up to Jamaica.. I'm thinking if the thrusters aren't working they can't spin it around in the harbor.. they just pulled straight in this morning. usually they are facing the other way.:eek:

they have 97 days to figure this out..

Sometimes she turns before she docks, sometimes not. The triumph didn't turn this week, either...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Carnival Magic is too long a ship to spin it around at the dock, it has to back up to a wider area to spin it around and get out to the channel.

On numerous occasions the Magic has turned around(the 180 manuver) at that location. It does it most every Sunday morning when the ship turns around as it docks in Galveston. With that said I do not think length plays a factor in turning around at this spot and also this is not the first time the Magic has reversed out of the channel.

On numerous occasions the Magic has turned around(the 180 manuver) at that location. It does it most every Sunday morning when the ship turns around as it docks in Galveston. With that said I do not think length plays a factor in turning around at this spot and also this is not the first time the Magic has reversed out of the channel.

I've never seen her (or been on her) turn at the dock. The Conquest used to, but the Magic can't... She turns up the channel...

The Magic spins around before docking at the dock. This still looks like a problem not fix.

We live in Texas and have cruised out of Galveston multiple times. If you are watching the Galveston Web Cams Harbor Video, you can see that the ship is spinning. That is where is always spins. It will either spin there on it's way in and thus "back into port" or it backs out and spins on its way out of port. This ship is too long to spin where the old Carnival Ecstasy spun. Remember the Magic is over 1000 feet long.

Just got off Magic this morning. Last Sunday we left late due to a computer problem checking folks in. Apparently the computers went down and they had to hand write everyone in. We had FTTF so we got thru before the computers crashed... We spent much of the day with the ship empty. So our late sail had nothing to do with the thrusters.

In Freeport, we were there until midnight as they worked on the thrusters then. We didn't have any problems and had a great cruise.

I've never seen her (or been on her) turn at the dock. The Conquest used to, but the Magic can't... She turns up the channel...

True! I have never seen her spin at dock, only the Triumph. Think she's too big, but I have seen her back out 2 times now once about a month or so ago and then today. :D

Just got off Magic this morning. Last Sunday we left late due to a computer problem checking folks in. Apparently the computers went down and they had to hand write everyone in. We had FTTF so we got thru before the computers crashed... We spent much of the day with the ship empty. So our late sail had nothing to do with the thrusters.

In Freeport, we were there until midnight as they worked on the thrusters then. We didn't have any problems and had a great cruise.

Thanks for the first hand information!

I was looking at the cam a couple of weeks ago and of of the ships, don't remember which one, pulled farther up the channel from it's berth, did its 180 and then went out forward. Only time I've seen one do that, but I don't watch every time.

I stand corrected :-)

The last 2 times we were on her while in bed, I felt the ship rotating and I thought we were at the dock. We must have been around the Ferry area.

We were in Galveston yesterday until about 5:30pm to see her off but we left due to the delay.

If the Captian and PA really wanted to, the ship might have enough space to 180' but it be close as the channel at that spot is a bit over 1200ft wide.

Archived