Which side best for cruise to Sawyer Glacier?

Molokai-Chuck

I suggest taking the excursion. You get much closer to the glaciers on a smaller boat.

If you're not into that, I would say the starboard side has a longer view when we went. It came around the corner from the right side, so the starboard side had the first view. However, there was a HAL ship blocking better access, and the Jewel was not able to get closer. The HAL ship had the PORT side facing the lower glacier, so maybe that's what Jewel would do as well. I would also think that the captain would make every attempt to give a great view to both sides.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Here's how the HAL ship was sitting, with the port side towards the glacier (we are closer to the glacier on our excursion boat). The HAL ship was hitting the bergs, and it was making a horrible noise. We all commented that the captain might get in trouble for being that close

IMG_3158-vi.jpg

Here is how the Jewel entered the main area in front of the glacier. You can see the starboard is facing Sawyer

IMG_3233-vi.jpg

This is the top deck of our excursion boat. You get a lot closer than the ships

IMG_3161-vi.jpg?1376933178

IMG_2163-vi.jpg

DSCN5278-vi.jpg?1376933259

As for overall scenery on that day, it really doesn't matter. Heading down from Juneau you will be in a channel. You'll be closer to land on the port side, but will get great views from each. In the fjord the views are stunning on both sides. Again, I suggest the excursion because they take you up to waterfalls, etc. that the ship doesn't. Here are some general pics of Tracy Arm from the excursion boat. It was a cold, overcast and rainy day

IMG_2151-vi.jpg

IMG_2158-vi.jpg?1376933499

IMG_2156-vi.jpg?1376933505

IMG_2155-vi.jpg

IMG_2153-vi.jpg?1376933590

ok..here's one thing that might impact your decision. The scenery on the leg out of Skagway is stunning from the starboard side. You pass Sullivan Island during the day, and it might have been the most scenic 3-4 hours of the entire vacation

This is from my balcony:

IMG_3417-vi.jpg

IMG_3391-vi.jpg

IMG_3398-vi.jpg

IMG_3406-vi.jpg

IMG_3449-vi.jpg

Wow. We've been twice and sure need to go again. And I concur. It's hard to say if one side of the ship is better than the other. Both sides see beautiful things constantly. While at the Glaciers, I go out on deck and try to view from every angle.

Thanks for the answers....and sdmike, wow ... I just finished reading/looking at your review from last year on the Jewel. Great and beautiful it was.

I think it is going to be a starboard room for sure ...and also probably a tour on the Tracy Arm like you took.

Thanks again all...

Chuck

Archived