Children cruising docs

ali6879

HI everyone,

Not sure if anyone else has run into this - Carnival wasn't sure what to tell me when I realized it.

The website states that if both parents are not cruising with the child, the other parent must sign a letter giving permission. In my case, my daughter's father legally terminated his rights, the equivalent of giving her up for adoption. Obviously, he's not going to write a letter. I am bringing the original court papers with me for the cruise - will that along with her birth cert be enough?

You need notorized letters from the parents stating that you have permission to take them out of the U.S. and that you have permission to authorize medical treatment if needed. The customs officer at the border asked for it. You also need a birth certificate of passport for the children.

It's on Carnivals website under required documentation. Under the FAQ section. I called them and the woman had no idea what I was talking about. :mad: My guess is that if I call again, I might get someone who knows, or I might not. I'm going to bring the original copies with the raised seal just to be on the safe side and keep a copy at home. Sigh, gotta love the 21st century....

I have taken my kids on cruises and was never asked to provide a signed document from the dad. Our names are all the same and maybe that is why.

In a way it was good because I would have no way been able to get a letter at that time. Would my kids not be allowed to cruise because we couldnt find a deadbeat dad?

You can call carnival lots of times and get all different answers.

I do know that if you are taking kids that are not your own...like friends of your kids, or neices and nephews you need written proof from their parents and medical papers.

When we cruised a year /half ago My sister in law and niece were with us. My sister in law never listed my nieces father on the birth certificate. We went through alot with the travel agent and carnival trying to explain how her father was never in her life and would not know where to find him. After many times of explaining we were told to bring her birth certificate and any papers that she had backing this matter. My sister in law also had her step-son with us and had to have a letter by a notary from both his father (married to my SIL, he wasn't going) and a letter from his mother. They did address both of these matters when we arrived at check in asking for my nieces birth certificate and also the letters from stepsons parents. They did tell her if she wouldn't have had this papers they would not have been allowed to board. I don't blame you for questioning this matter, I wouldn't want to get there and run into problems that couldn't be fixed. I would tell you to bring any papers that prove he gave up his rights and has no involvement with your child. Good LUck

I go through this everytime I travel with DD. I have to get a notorized letter stating her dad gives me permission to take her to XXX. I have never been asked for the letter but I know people that have been asked. Your child will be denied boarding if the proper paperwork is not given to the officials.

In the OP's case, the father gave up all parental rights and it is supported with court documentation so she doesn't need anything else. In cases of joint custody, even though the other parent (deadbeat) is missing, you still cannot legally take the child out of the country without his/her permission. I don't agree with this but I guess it helps keep the very few parents who really are kidnapping their own children from doing this. Although, who would book a cruise to do that!

Archived