Stockholm Advice Please

jarand

Our travels may take us to Stockholm, overnight in late October. (Crazy I know). We will land at about 5:00 pm on one day, then depart at 4:00 pm the next. Ideally we'd see some of the city (if only by bus or taxi) and visit one or two of the main sights. We are very open to recommendations on how to make the best of this short, chilly time and see at bit of Stockholm. Thanks!

I will throw in my 2 cents here:

1) Find a place to stay in Gamla Stan or near the Central Bus & train stations. You will want to take the Flygbussarna bus or the high speed train (Arlanda Express) into town. Don't bother with a STOCKHOLM Card or a bus pass - neither will cover the cost the bus or train 100%. There is a way to use city transportation from the airport, but it is complicated and involves another fee,

Sometimes EXPEDIA offers prepaid vouchers for Flygbussarna that can save you 10% . The Arlanda Express sometimes offers 2 for 1 tickets, but that may be only in the summer.

If hotel prices leave you shocked, you can economize a bit by staying at a hostel. They are not just for students, and some offer private ensuite rooms. Go for the best location you can afford, then you will see Stockholm and Gamla Stan simply by staying there.

2) Write to touristinfo@stockholm.se at the VISIT STOCKHOLM group. I was impressed with personal email attention I got when I had questions about the Bus strike (which ended in June on the morning I arrived, thankfully)

They might be able to help find with activities geared toward the evening and the morning you have available. Many museums like Vasa and Skansen probably open late (especially on Sundays and in the Fall) and close early.

We just got back from there! We stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm in a club room. It seems pricey but breakfast and supper with wine and drinks is included so we actually saved. It is opposite Gamla Stan and we walked to the Vasa Museum and Skansen - it takes about 30 mins. You can do Gamla Stan on foot in the evening. If you have to choose between Vasa and Skansen do Vasa, it blew us away.

Stockholm is very walkable.

You can book the Arlanda Express online and save a lot. The hotel is a short safe walk from the main station, just turn right then right at the road junction. It's on that street on the left down by the water.

Our travels may take us to Stockholm, overnight in late October. (Crazy I know). We will land at about 5:00 pm on one day, then depart at 4:00 pm the next. Ideally we'd see some of the city (if only by bus or taxi) and visit one or two of the main sights. We are very open to recommendations on how to make the best of this short, chilly time and see at bit of Stockholm. Thanks!

Just get out and see what you can see.

If you get to your hotel for the night and not overwhelmed by jet lag, get out and wander about in Gamla Stan. It is a wonderful ar3eato just walk, grab a bite to eat and unwind from a long day of traveling.

Since the Vasa Museum doesn't open till 10, get up, have a nice breakfast and get to the museum at opening. Spend an hour or so (it won't be hard to do). From here you can take the ferry, or HoHo boat, or walk and try and get to the Palace. You can tour the Palace, ort just watch the changing of the Guard ceremony. You don't have to stay for the entire ceremony. Depending on where you are going to after this, you should try and get to the airport by 2 or so. grab a taxi and that should be no problem, and viola, you have seen some of the highlites of this wonderful city.

Cheers

Len

Archived