Excursion Tipping Question

missac

Hoping my fellow cruisers can help me out on this one ... we're leaving Sunday for an Alaskan cruise on the Golden (can't wait!!)

We are not normally "excursion heavy" people but we're going with a group and so we find ourselves booked in each port.

I'm wondering what the right protocol is for tipping ... we're doing a flight seeing trip and a fishing trip - on both we are the only group in the excursion, and we're going out with the owner of the charter. What's standard for tipping in this situation? These are not inexpensive trips ... but I also don't want to be rude and not tip. On the other hand, I am not dealing with seasonal and possibly underpaid help, either.

What would you do in this situation?

In AK its a judgement call. Since its the owner, they are collecting the fees direct as opposed to an employee so a tip is not protocol. That said, if they are an exceptionally good host, or provide a special service, etc, its certainly appropriate.

As a rule of thumb, if its a non-skilled employee (driver, guide) as opposed to skilled (pilot, owner) I tip...

Hoping my fellow cruisers can help me out on this one ... we're leaving Sunday for an Alaskan cruise on the Golden (can't wait!!)

We are not normally "excursion heavy" people but we're going with a group and so we find ourselves booked in each port.

I'm wondering what the right protocol is for tipping ... we're doing a flight seeing trip and a fishing trip - on both we are the only group in the excursion, and we're going out with the owner of the charter. What's standard for tipping in this situation? These are not inexpensive trips ... but I also don't want to be rude and not tip. On the other hand, I am not dealing with seasonal and possibly underpaid help, either.

What would you do in this situation?

There are LOTS of threads on the Alaska forum. Just do an Advanced Search and look for TIPS in the header/subject line. You will find a lot of information.

You know, I did search the Alaska forum. And in three pages of results I found only one thread that was somewhat helpful, and it seemed to degenerate quickly into why people who don't tip are jerks ... and never really provided a lot of information, which is why I asked on the main board rather than the Alaska board.

I'm not sure I understand the need to tell posters to "do a search" instead of answering the question. It feels like public shaming - hey you knucklehead, do a search first. Lots of people do - don't find what they need - and ask anyway. This *is* an advice and community forum, right?

Archived