SCRAPBOOKING-looking for suggestions

tourist

What do you scrappers do with the pictures your don't use in your scrapbooks? I take alot of pictures on vacation, and I always print more than I scrap. It seems like such a shame to throw them away. Plus, some are scenes that I'm glad I captured, but didn't feel the need to have in my book.

Any suggestions?

I recently met someone at a workshop who had a good answer for this. She was talking about all the "extra" pictures that she didn't need for her daughter's baby scrapbook - but they were just to cute to think of throwing away.

She used the "best" pictures in the scrapbook to tell the story of her daughter's first year. All of the "extra" then were slipped into an album that had slide in sleves. There was a margin that had room for date and place info to be listed. Now everything is in an easy to view place, people and places noted for history, but you are not looking at every photo taken that year when you look in the scrapbook.

Hope this idea helps.

I am not what you would call an avid scrapbooker but I did scrapbook our last cruise. I took pictures all over the ship even the laundry room which was right around the corner from our room. A poster above reminded me of a picture I took when we docked in Progreso. I took a picture of the gangway going onto the dock with "The Fun Ship Elation" written on it. Also, the bow of the ship with the name, Elation, on it. I have never seen rugs with the names of the week on it so maybe that is another cruise line. :confused: I like to take pictures all over the ship including the hallways, the door to our room, our room, internet cafe, library, you get the idea. I use the postcards of the ship when scrapbooking, too. I take waaaay more pictures than I need but then I have fun picking and choosing. :p I even took pictures of the menus each day as they were posted outside the dining room. Little things like that. As I mentioned on another thread, when I take pictures on the ship, I think to myself: what would someone who has never cruised like to see? :D TG23

KansasScrapper, you will love the Elation and believe me there is plenty to do. We have sailed her twice and loved both times. If possible, do the galley tour as it is very interesting. I took pics of the entire tour. Also, we had never been to an art auction before so we attended all of them and even won a piece of art! Take a highlighter with you and go through the Capers each day and highlight all the things you might want to do. Near the end of the week, they have tea in the piano lounge. Definitely try to go. It's great. Also, the Gala Buffet is near the end of the week and they have a chocolate buffet one afternoon on (I think) the last sea day. And, don't miss the two formal nights. I look forward to those!!! Have a great cruise!!! TG23

I will be going on my first cruise late april and can't wait! I have done a few scrapbook pages but find that with a 2 year old running around I never have the time to get all the stuff out.

I recently found a digital scrapbooking site that has made it SOOOOOO much easier for me. You can get free products as well as buy products from the site and you use programs like photoshop or paintshop to create your pages and then can post them to the site. They also have contests you can participate in to get free stuff.

I plan on keeping everthing from my cruise (as suggested by CC members) and then I'll just scan stuff in and place it on my layouts.

Here's a link to view my digital pages if anyone's interested ( I only have a couple pages from vacations since I've only been on one)

http://digitalscrapbookpages.com/galleria/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1294

What do you scrappers do with the pictures your don't use in your scrapbooks? I take alot of pictures on vacation, and I always print more than I scrap. It seems like such a shame to throw them away. Plus, some are scenes that I'm glad I captured, but didn't feel the need to have in my book.

Any suggestions?

I've been scrapbooking for about two years now, and found that many of my photos weren't used, to conserve space. What I have done, which works quite well, is to buy one of those really big 2" X 2" square punches, and punch lots of pictures of some of the more interesting details from the photos, and then make a nice collage with the punched out squares. It is a very lovely, and fun way to do a page and use up the left-over pictures!:D

• 3 weeks later...
A couple people have mentioned getting postcards.

On any trip I always mail a postcard to myself. This way I have both a stamp and the postage cancelation from that area. I have mailed them out of national parks - yes the park does have it's own postage mark - as well as towns that I visit. I usualy just write a quick note of whatever has stood out to me that day. When I get home I have a start on my journaling.

Most scrap stores have pockets you can buy to slip the post card into so it is still removable for reading - or you can use photo corners.

Thanks to everyone for your great ideas - I have started making notes for my next trip.

Something I'm going to do for an upcoming family cruise is to also send a post card to each of the family members that I'm travelling with' date=' which they'll receive when we return. On the postcard I'll include a story of something that happened on the trip, or what it meant to me to travel with them etc. Each of the ladies in my family that will be travelling with me all scrapbook. So, it also gives them a postcard, postmarked with a stamp from the place we enjoyed together, to add to their own books. [/size']

Hi There,

A variation on Celia's idea - I use blurry or otherwise useless pictures, and I use different shape punch outs. If the photo was a water scene, I might use a water splash punch out, if there is green in the photo, I would use a palm tree punch out, etc. I do this quite a bit in my books, it adds a neat texture to what you are doing.

Julia:)

• 1 month later...

I love to scrapbook our cruises, and I have found that I gather so much paper and embellishments that are cruise/beach/vacation oriented that I now have a separate container to keep it all together!

On the first page of my cruise album I use a picture of the ship with the name (like the bow) and also a picture of the floor (near the elevator) and a picture of our room number. This along with the itinerary and sometimes a picture of us boarding--if it was a good one! For my next album (of our last cruise) I took pictures of a few of us gals who got pedicures a few days before the trip, we did this altogether, and I'll feature it in the beginning layouts.

I also always do a two page layout with just postcards of the ship (the dining room, etc.) they are always better than any pictures I can take and there aren't any people! It makes for a pretty layout.

Lots of good ideas on this thread, thanks to everyone!

One additional idea regarding postcards, I have been able to get stamps at the purser's desk and I try to send myself at least one postcard from every port, including the port we board from. I write stuff on them like a travel journal. Then, when I'm sure they've all arrived home, sometimes it takes weeks!, I put them in order (helps if they're all about the same size) and take them to Kinko's and have them spiral bound--costs about $5. I make sure the first postcard is one of the ship. It makes a unique travel journal, and like others have said, you have the local postage and postmark.

Keep the great scrapbook ideas coming!!

I just reread my post and I'm sure everyone can figure out what I meant, but when I said "picture of the floor (near the elevator)" I didn't mean the actual floor, I meant the deck number on the wall.

KansasScrapper-I've not had any success trying to upload my pages. But I agree, I'd love to see some that others have done.

I'm just curious. Is anyone doing your scrapbooking on the computer at all, and if so, to what degree? I just bought a computer scrapbook program and can really see the benefit to doing titles, journaling, etc., on the computer (especially since you can't read my handwriting :o ), but I don't know if I like the ideas of importing the digital photos and printing them directly on the page. Ideas anyone????

I recently got a 12x12 printer and I've done some LOs that have the title and journaling printed directly on the page, but that's the extent of it for me. I know there are a lot of people apparently that do the whole LO digitally, that's just not my style--but I've seen some of what others do, and it's beautiful.

I've always thought it might be kind of neat to print a photo on 12x12 cardstock, maybe a picture of the ship, but use the watermark tool to make it faint or washed out looking, and that way you've made your own specialized paper. Sounds cool, doesn't it? I haven't tried it, but I'd like to!

That sparks my curiosity even more. What kind of printer did you get that does 12X12 paper? I started my scrapbooks before the 12X12 paper was widely available, and haven't switched over yet. I'd considered doing it for the next book, until I realized that my printer won't do 12X12 sheets.

I've still got an awful lot of 8X11 paper on hand, so I don't know that I'll switch just yet, but if there are now printers available I may want to start thinking about it again.

Can't believe I just found this thread! What great ideas! Love the websites everyone suggested. I made a scrapbook of our cruise to Alaska and of our trip to Hawaii, but after seeing all of the really NEAT things on those websites I want to re-do everything! I will be going on a cruise to Norway this June, and one site even had a lot of paper and embellishments for Norway, which I will combine with all of the cool cruising things they had.

Love the term, "analysis paralysis." Boy, do I have that!

Thanks everyone. I have enjoyed reading this thread and will use a lot of the great ideas.

Lauren

I think it's only been in the past few years that there have been 12x12 (also called "wide carriage" or "wide format") printers available at a reasonable price for non-commercial use. I know my local scrapbook store has one. HP makes at least one model, and Canon makes a really good one. Of course these 12x12 printers will print other sizes too, so we just replaced our photo printer with this new 12x12 one. We print photos of varying sizes and then switch ink so that we can print regular things on various size papers. I've only been scrapping for a couple of years, and I've been doing 12x12 albums since the beginning.

See Norway--I'm so envious of your trip to Norway! And I agree, this thread has given me a lot of really great ideas too.

Tinkerme1: Where did you get the 2x2 punch you talked about?

I'm a scrapper too and this is a great thread! I admit that after scrapping a number of cruises I am running out of new ideas! As I was reading this it occurred to me to do an ABC scrapbook of cruising. Has anyone done this? I might try it for the Coastal cruise I am doing in May...it would be a change.

I am currently working on my Sun Princess cruise photos from February. For this lot I divided up the cruise into an introductory page, then I scrapped "The People", "The Ports" and am just beginning "Life Onboard"! It is like re living the cruise! Happy scrappin' everyone!

Great ideas here. Has anyone mentioned taking photos of your purchases? That's something I picked up on another thread. Maps are great -- include them to show where in the country your port is, and city maps to show where you walked, etc. There's lots of good stuff in travel brochures. Save the things that you looked at before you selected the cruise. I'll often cut out of the daily guide (Compass or whatever) the description of what we attended, particularly shows, and include that. Definitely keep a journal, so you can remember what everything is, and include a log of what you did. The RCI cruise that I was just on (Enchantment) had two scrapbooking workshops during a 5-day cruise. Maybe more ships will start doing that; good way to share ideas. They also had a scrapbooking kit, especially for RCI ships, that they were selling.

JudyZoo: did the scrapbook kit have special RCCL stuff in it? Do you think it is available for purchase even if they don't offer a class? That just sounds so great!

Yes, and yes. The kit had Royal Caribbean specific things in it, and it was available for purchase not only during the workshop but also in the photo gallery. The cost was somewhere in the area of $20.

I just found this thread. Thanks so much for your great ideas! We are going on our first cruise next month and I was already planning on saving stuff to scrapbook with from the cruise, and now I have even more ideas.

I'm so excited I can't stand it!

Nancy

Sun Princess, 5/28/06 - 42 days until we sail!:D

I make cover or introductory pages for my scrapbook of each port of call for my scrapbook. These I premake as I base them on the itinerary I have done for our trip and my itinerary is very extensive as I plan all private tours in each port of call.

If I can get the local tourist bureau to send me a package of info ahead of time then I will incorporate pictures from these brochures into my premade pages for my scrapbook.

I print these in color on "card" stock so that when I hole punch the pages and insert them into the album the pages won't tear.

My albums are all 3 ring binder type with plastic photo pages to hold 4 photos per page.

I of course use extra card stock pages for all of my collages made from the invitations, ship dailies, tourist brochures I find on shore, maps etc.

If I am on a long cruise then I will take all of this along and do up my album as we cruise on sea days.

The photo dept will print your digital photos for you and some ships the price is reasonable. Note they will also resize the photos that they have taken and are selling you to fit your album. Take along some various size plastic photo pages.

It sure is fun to have everyone stopping by to see your album even before the trip is done!

I also print out interesting facts about our various ports on 4 X 6 cards sometimes I even add photos or clip art that I download from the interenet and these can be slipped into the album uinfront of your photos of that place or thing.

Don't forget to decorate your cabin door and then take a photo of it.

Archived