SCRAPBOOKING-looking for suggestions

tourist

I was excited to find this thread as it gets me motivated to think about scrapping my cruise that's in 2 weeks. I have been scrapping for 4 years, but the last year, I have not done much, so now I can preplan and get back in the swing of things. I probably don't need to ever buy another sheet of paper or cardstock, but I'll sure check out the websites listed.

We're on the April 30th Explorer of the Seas, so I hope to get one of those scrapbook kits. Thanks for the heads up.

I mostly shoot digital, but I always take an underwater disposable camera for the water/beach pictures. Also, I will take a disposable panoramic camera to get a few special format shots of the shoreline, ports, the ship, etc.

My daughter took several pictures of us at home waiting very impatiently for the airport shuttle to pick us up. We also took several photos at the aiport and no one said anything. Also, took pictures of the clouds from the plan window, then the final page of the scrapbook says, "Back Home, but still on Cloud nine." Then, I cropped a tiny picture of each person in our group to paste onto the clouds. A great final page. My daughter thought it was pretty cheesy, but others thought it was quite cute and an appropriate ending to our cruise. Happy scrapping.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I just started scrapbooking with new grandbaby's first year book. Now with the cruise coming in september, have made lots of notes and since I already enjoy taking lots of pictures but I think I will now be taking more pictures.

Thought I would share an idea here that I posted on a thread about planning......I made a small "book" out of 3x5 index card tabbed dividers, with several plain cards in between each divider. Covered the dividers and front and back with scrapbook paper and embellishments. I punched holes and bound the whole thing together with loose 1.5" rings and tied ribbons on those. I am using it to record reservation/confirmation numbers, hotel phone numbers, flight info, notes on "must see" sights, etc. for each location. It's small enough to fit in my purse rather than carrying a large portfolio on excursions, etc. Also will have room to take notes or journal in each section. Then when I get home, I will add photos and "stuff" and have a little scrapbook of our trip.

Thought I would share an idea here that I posted on a thread about planning......I made a small "book" out of 3x5 index card tabbed dividers, with several plain cards in between each divider. Covered the dividers and front and back with scrapbook paper and embellishments. I punched holes and bound the whole thing together with loose 1.5" rings and tied ribbons on those. I am using it to record reservation/confirmation numbers, hotel phone numbers, flight info, notes on "must see" sights, etc. for each location. It's small enough to fit in my purse rather than carrying a large portfolio on excursions, etc. Also will have room to take notes or journal in each section. Then when I get home, I will add photos and "stuff" and have a little scrapbook of our trip.

Awesome idea!!!! I love all of the little flip albums that I keep seeing and reading about... We just went to a convention in Wisconsin and that was a big thing there.. I just love em!!!

judyzoo... what kind of RCL scrapbooking things are you talking about? There were a few workshops on our ship, the Explorer, when we went in March. We didn't see any kinds of kits that you could buy though :(

Jennie

judyzoo... what kind of RCL scrapbooking things are you talking about? There were a few workshops on our ship, the Explorer, when we went in March. We didn't see any kinds of kits that you could buy though :(

Jennie

On the Enchantment, also in March, they had two workshops. They had the kits during the second workshop, and they were by then also selling them in the photo gallery. It's a professional-looking kit, mass produced, a box containing a variety of scrapping items. I didn't look through the whole box, but they had such things as Crown & Anchor insignia, RCI ship names, and I think some photos or representations of some public rooms; also I'm sure some more generic cruising items not specific to RCI.

okay, I see everyone mentioning postcards but I like particular kinds. On every island I've been on (some are harder to find) I have found a postcard of an "old" looking map of that island - kind of a sepia brownish color. There are also antique looking postcards that map multiple islands.

I also like to get the postcards of the beaches or brightly colored buildings with the blue sky background that have the wide white border. I find they have a "finished" look and they look nice just tucked into an attached envelope on the page instead of actually attaching them to a page.

I have also gotten some great shots of sailboats out on the water - one looked like it was straight out of Pirates of the Caribbean - which will look nice with my map postcards if I ever get around to scrapping it:rolleyes:

Hi, again, IslandChicklet! That's a great idea to get the old map type post cards. I know just the ones you mean. I can see an intro LO that would be those postcards showing each island on the itinerary. Very cool! Someone on this thread talked about how they'd scrapbooked so many Caribbean cruises that they were running out of ideas, but this is a great new idea--for me at least!

It's true, after you've scrapbooked several Caribbean cruises, they all begin to look alike - just like Christmas - you tend to take photos of the same things! And I don't like to use a lot of "pre-packaged" accessories on my pages (stickers, beach-printed paper, etc.) so it is great to see these ideas from other scrappers!!

They do begin to look similar after a dozen or so. I’ve just recently begun using some stickers, preprinted pages, cutouts and such, just for variety. I thought I’d just go through my latest and list some of the items I’ve included, which might be old for me but new for someone else. Photo of the ship docked, taken when arriving to board --- itinerary, from the catalog --- baggage tags --- some cruise docs -- account cards -- photos and info about captain and others --- photos showing distinguishing characteristics of this ship [our last cruise was on the Enchantment of the Seas, so I have photos of the suspension bridges; also news articles and photos showing how the ship was extended] --- ship stats ---- cabin and balcony photos of course -- also info about what’s in the cabin, the size, category, location -- photos of cabin door and what’s directly outside the cabin so we can remember the location -- ship deck plan, showing where our cabin was -- photos of the ship, also showing the location of our cabin -- cutouts from stationery and other items with the cruise line name scattered throughout -- photos of the dock from our cabin -- public room photos taken by me and from postcard sets sold on the ship -- room service hanging tag with menu selections -- photo of room service food delivered to our cabin -- aerial view of ship from a cruise magazine -- photos of artwork around the ship -- cutouts from the ship’s newsletters about the events that we attended, with photos of us attending -- tour tickets and stickers -- colorful island/port names (stickers and cutouts from brochures and magazines) -- postcards -- blurbs from brochures and ship’s newsletters giving brief description of the port (history, geography, etc) - maps of the port and island (postcards, handouts, highlighted to show where we went when ashore) -- napkin from restaurant -- photos of towel animals -- postcards sent home, with island stamps and postmarks -- photos of items purchased -- wristband received with admission to attraction -- postcards purchased at various stops -- winning bingo card -- sample list of activities -- sample list of restaurants -- night photo of ship - card showing what’s going on departure morning -- photos arriving at disembarkation port.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to scrapbooking, and have only been on one cruise so far, so don't know how qualified I am to give any tips, but here's one anyway:

I buy two of each postcard I intend to use for scrapping. I write a message on one & send it home to get the postmark, the other I bring home myself. I then display the front of the unmailed one next to the back of the postmarked one so both sides can be seen.

:) Love this thread...keep'em coming!

Since our cruise was months away (10) when we booked the cruise and I have just started to scrapbook (new grandbaby), I made two pages Waiting and put "Days hours to go from the "calculate duration web site and added things such as 310 days to go (Jennifer was born today) 160 days (The cruise is paid for) 180 days (DH's birthday) etc. Anytime something special happended up to now I just added it. The page is almost full and looks quite cute.

I was thinking of doing a "payment" page listing the dates I made payments, new outfits i bought for the cruise, etc, but I'm not sure I want everyone to see that! :) Anyway, I was wondering about the brochures everyone talks about cutting up to put into their scrapbooks. I'm fairly inexperienced at scrapping but was under the impression you could only put acid and lignen free paper/products in the book. What about these brochure pictures? So, if it isn't harmful to the books/pics, I want to do that too--anyone know of any websites you can order free ones from to get in the mail so I can get started before I go? I'm going to Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. Thank you!

HarleyGirl, if you are using good quality paper (buffered) and your brochures don't touch your photos, you should be OK. Some people still don 't like to do it, so you can also photocopy or scan/print your items onto acid-free cardstock.

I've never used a Carnival brochure - I guess you get them from travel agents? But I do usually use my tickets, itinerary, postcards, s & s cards, coasters, luggage tags, and other things like that.

Libby

There is also archival spray you can buy to spray on those papers/brochures, etc. that aren't acid/lignin free. But Fergus is right, if they don't touch your photos you're probably fine.

Also, HarleyGirl-I like your idea of a payment page. You could do some sort of hinged cover up or even a pull out pocket that would have the totals if you wanted to hide them from most people. But you could also do it so that you have all these costs, like "cruise-$2200, clothing-$326, taxi to the pier-$21, trip of a lifetime=priceless" (like the mastercard ads) and you could have a picture of yourself by the last line. Just an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed. I just thought of it while I'm SUPPOSED to be working--boy, this board is just really distracting huh? I want to decorate my door on my upcoming first cruise in November and of course will want to scrap a page or two with regards to the door decorations. Well, I initially thought about getting a memo board for everyone to sign and take pictures of their comments to go in the scrapbook, but then it dawned on me--why not use scrapbook paper for them to sign. It's much prettier and can be inserted right into the book when I am ready to make my pages. Again, please forgive me if someone already mentioned it. It's 3 a.m. and I can't concentrate on my work--geez, and six months to go.....

I love to take longer cruises. On these I take scrapbook, sissors, glue stick and such with me. I'm selective what gets to go but it makes collecting more fun. I have to work with what's there. I take digital photos. I put these on a disk and put in the front of the book. That way I have "stuff" and photos.

Oh the reason I take the book with me is I do several trips a year and I find those sea days are better to work on the book than after I'm home.

If you wish to include brochures in your scrapbook, there are "pocket holders" that you can purchase at scrapbooking stores to hold them or buy the acid free three-hole punched top loaders and use brads to attach them to your page! They hold a ton of stuff!:D

I buy two of each postcard I intend to use for scrapping. I write a message on one & send it home to get the postmark, the other I bring home myself. I then display the front of the unmailed one next to the back of the postmarked one so both sides can be seen.

Great idea. That's something I hadn't thought about. I plan to send myself post cards from the next trip, but hadn't thought to purchase a second one so there's a front and back. Thanks!

Archived