Booking Bermuda? When should we make the leap?

harveysnc

Hi all! My husband and I are looking to book a Bermuda cruise on the Dawn next June. We have been on 14 cruises, all but one to the Caribbean (we live in Florida). I know when to wait until last minute for the best deal and when it can be a gamble to do so when we're talking about the Caribbean, but I know nothing about the season in Bermuda.

We are not new cruisers, so I do understand that it can never be fully predicted. I'm just curious if it is better to wait for possible price drops or if they stay pretty much the same right up until sailing. I realize that by booking early, I can always take advantage of price drops until final payment, but my husband prefers to wait for a better deal...which can be annoying. ;)

I've seen some reviews where people have done pretty well booking last minute, but it's always an inside cabin being grabbed. We've sailed in inside cabins through balcony but never a suite and I'd really love to try it out. As of right now, that is not affordable. So, my fellow experienced Bermuda cruisers, what do you suggest? Book a lower priced category now and upgrade if the price drops (and be happy with the lower category if it doesn't)or wait for prices to drop and grab what I want? What are the chances? Which is the safest gamble?

Thanks in advance for your $.02! :)

I booked in August of 2012 and got 8 insides for $639 a person for a July 2013 sailing. that price lasted just one weekend and then it went back up to $899 a person for the same cabin and never came down again. I don't think that NCL has too many big price drops. Their prices are so reasonable that they don't throw big sales. I did mine on one of the Dash Sale weekends which essentially means 1/2 price down payments required to make a reservation and not much else. You could watch the price and wait for a Dash Sale. If you see a price drop on the room you want, make the reservation then.

Thanks!! I was thinking I will wait for a sale. I'd prefer OBC over reduced deposits, but will take what I can get. I'm thinking that with fewer ships and a shorter season, Bermuda prices might stay up. I'll watch for a while and see what happens I guess.

Hi there!

My cruise was booked two weeks in advance and we got a steal at just above 900$ for a balcony. Hope I helped.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

That's a great deal! I definitely can't wait until 2 weeks out, but it does offer hope. :)

I've done the Bermuda itinerary several times, including once on the Dawn. It's a wonderful itinerary. It's very popular, especially in the summer months when the schools are closed. My upcoming cruise on the Breakaway was pulled from the NCL booking engine several weeks ago because it's completely sold out. This was the first time I booked a cruise after final payment. I was able to save a few hundred dollars but the cabin selection was VERY limited. My two cents (for what it's worth;)) is if you see a cabin you want at a price you are comfortable with book it. You still have some wiggle room now, if you'd like to wait for a sale. After you book, keep an eye out for price drops. Based on my experience, if the price is going to drop it will do so after final payment. If that happens you can try to upgrade to a better cabin cat. I've done this in the past too. The only time I ever recommend waiting until after final payment is if your dates and cabin preferences are extremely flexible. And even then, there is still a chance the price might go up instead of down! Good luck planning your cruise! :)

well, I just booked today for Bermuda from Boston on NCL Dawn to leave Oct 11. I normally do not wait so long but the opportunity to getaway and to a place I have always wanted to go, happened. The prices had dropped on several room types but mostly inside on the 4th level. Not for me. I had to look really hard to find suitable rooms over several cruise dates that were not balconies or suites.

Although, i find it hard to book way in advance because I don't always know what life brings me.

BreathefreshAyr...congrats on booking. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same very soon! :D

KerCar...I appreciate you two cents!:D I agree with you that price drops will probably occur after final payment is due. From what I have seen, people who have gotten good deals have done so very near to sail date. I think the Caribbean is so saturated with dozens of ships sailing dozens of itineraries that we have been spoiled by the great prices. We have Tampa 2 hours to our north and Miami/Fort Lauderdale also just 2 hours away so we can usually be flexible and book last minute. I may have to just book and then stalk for price drops. ;)

It depends on the type of room you booked. I was watching the last minute deals on the Dawn at the beginning of July and the prices for balconies or suites was the same as booking now for that same time next year. So, no real good deal. They showed inside rooms for $499 but after taxes, etc that really meant $700 something. I'd say book it now, stay on top of it and if the price goes down, great, if not, you still got the best deal.

Archived