Merida Accessibility?

DEL67

We will be going to Progreso again in August. My husband uses a wheelchair so I am hoping that someone can tell me how accessible Merida is.

On our last visit we took a cab to Dzibilchaltun and enjoyed it even though the gravel and rough paths were very difficult with the wheelchair. Would Merida be reasonably accessible too? I thought about taking a cab there and thern perhaps visiting Dzibilchaltun again since my daughter who will be with us has not seen it. Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

DEL. The sidewalks in Merida are rather narrow. Have the taxi drop you at Plaza Mayor (el centro). In that area the wheel chair will be no problem. Lots to see and enjoy including nearby sidewalk cafes. Also the sidewalks on Paseo Montejo are very wide along the broad, upscale Europen styled boulevard. Email me for pics if you wish. hdawson228@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...
We will be going to Progreso again in August. My husband uses a wheelchair so I am hoping that someone can tell me how accessible Merida is.

On our last visit we took a cab to Dzibilchaltun and enjoyed it even though the gravel and rough paths were very difficult with the wheelchair. Would Merida be reasonably accessible too? I thought about taking a cab there and thern perhaps visiting Dzibilchaltun again since my daughter who will be with us has not seen it. Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I was in Merida with friends last year in August. One of my friends had open heart surgery a few weeks before the cruise, so we arranged for wheelchairs for her in most ports. We did the ship tour to Merida, and it was actually pretty easy. There was an elevator in the 2 story building we went to (a museum). The wheel chair made it through the church, on the streets etc. Their were a couple higher doorways, but there was always someone their to help. Their were actually 3 wheel chairs on our tour and they all went everywhere the tour went.

We really enjoyed our tour of Merida, I hope you will to!

Archived