Verizon Hotspot

rfrankjr

Has anyone used a Verizon hotspot on an Oceania cruise? Verizon says it works in "international waters" but I wonder? Their rate is $25/100 mg, which is probably much less expensive that Oceania /minute rate. I appreciate any help on this!

Has anyone used a Verizon hotspot on an Oceania cruise? Verizon says it works in "international waters" but I wonder? Their rate is $25/100 mg, which is probably much less expensive that Oceania /minute rate. I appreciate any help on this!

I used my Verizon Hotspot on our New York to London TA in May and it worked fine. Having said that, keep in mind it's only going to work in port - not on open sea.

For us, it worked in every port we visited in May.

$25 per 100 MG may sound like a lot...but on our previous Marina cruise, I was connecting my iPhone and iPad thru AT&T...and after you use up 800 MB for $200, they charge you a penalty rate of $19.97 per MB. Yes, that is not a typo.

DW likes reading People Magazine on her iPad....the average issue of People is 250 MB...you can do the math as to what our AT&T bill looked like....the Verison Hot Spot worked great and was A LOT cheaper.

I just got the new MiFi one that shows how much data you have used and what the battery life is....it has enabled me to stay connected to my business no matter where I go.

I hope this helps

I was also wondering about the Verizon hotspot. I like to email the kids and tell them about our day and see how the grand babies are doing without Grandma and Grandpa to spoil them, lol

I started a thread called "Wireless Maritime Services" which quite a few people replied to. One of the nice people who replied, FSU85, suggested an app called "Viber" for free texts and calls. I (along with my kids) installed it today and it works perfect! (through wifi or 3g)

To make an international call (say from Europe back to USA), simply dial the number the same way you would in a regular call - include the country code, cell prefix and the phone number, e.g., +12125551234

(Hold down the 0 until a + sign appears)

Just not sure yet if I should get the Oceania internet package to use wifi, or if a "hot spot" would be better?

I was also wondering about the Verizon hotspot. I like to email the kids and tell them about our day and see how the grand babies are doing without Grandma and Grandpa to spoil them, lol

I started a thread called "Wireless Maritime Services" which quite a few people replied to. One of the nice people who replied, FSU85, suggested an app called "Viber" for free texts and calls. I (along with my kids) installed it today and it works perfect! (through wifi or 3g)

To make an international call (say from Europe back to USA), simply dial the number the same way you would in a regular call - include the country code, cell prefix and the phone number, e.g., +12125551234

(Hold down the 0 until a + sign appears)

Just not sure yet if I should get the Oceania internet package to use wifi, or if a "hot spot" would be better?

The key phrase here is "it works perfect! (through wifi or 3g)"

In order to connect to Wifi at sea (as opposed to when you are in port) you have to connect through O's wifi system....and I don't think you are going to be able to do that for free. I may be wrong - it's happened before. It's access to the satellite that Oceania is offering for a fee.

The key phrase here is "it works perfect! (through wifi or 3g)"

In order to connect to Wifi at sea (as opposed to when you are in port) you have to connect through O's wifi system....and I don't think you are going to be able to do that for free. I may be wrong - it's happened before. It's access to the satellite that Oceania is offering for a fee.

Your right connection is not for free.

I was connecting my iPhone and iPad thru AT&T...and after you use up 800 MB for $200, they charge you a penalty rate of $19.97 per MB.
AT&T 800 MB Global Data Add-on is $120, with overage of $30 for every additional 120 MB. The best deal out there IMO. The AT&T rates you are quoting are from a few years ago when Verizon had virtually no international roaming service.

BTW, I work in the technology field and was under the impression mg universally stood for milligrams. What does it mean in Verizon parlance?

My understanding is that Verizon's deal is $25/100 megabytes, and they will just add $25 each time you go over. The rate seems comparable to AT&T's 800 megabytes for $200, plus an additional $30 per $120 more, unless you don't intend to do much surfing. Neither of these will work at sea, from what I understand. It also seems, from what I've read, the Oceania rate is much more expensive, and very slow at sea, but available. I also understand (I may be wrong here) there are online options for telephoning home. However, I'll bet they only work in port. I hope someone will please correct me if my summations are wrong! I don't like to spend any extra $'s but I also like to be able to be connected to my grandchildren and my business!

AT&T's 800 megabytes for $200, plus an additional $30 per $120 more
As mentioned in my previous post and for clarity to others reading this thread, AT&T's 800 MB is $120, plus an additional $30 per 120 MB if one exceeds their initial package purchase. For a 2 week cruise I use AT&T's $60 package for 300 MB which is more than enough for me to do email, FB (including uploading pics), Google maps, pocket guides, etc. and FWIW, I use my iPhone (4S) a lot. FYI, an iPhone 5 will use more MB if emailing and uploading pics to FB as its picture resolution is higher; same goes for other smart phones with higher res pics. That new Nokia phone that advertises 42 megapixel photos would be a killer. :eek:

Archived