Mullet Bay/Maho

jwalk03

I asked on the port of call board already with no answer after a few days, so ill try here instead.

I was wondering how easy it is to walk from Mullet Bay to Maho in St.Maarten? I really want to go to Maho to see the planes, but everything I have read says that it's really not that spectacular of beach, so I was thinking of spending the rest of the day at Mullet Bay, just trying to find the best way to accomplish that.

I haven't been to Mullet Bay. But, Maho Beach always has cabs available. you can ask a driver. Maho beach is amazing! I am a huge aviation junkie (worked in the airline industry since 2003), the water is great, the waves at times can get a bit dangerous, but watching the planes come in and take off is so much fun

Here is an old post about walking between the two, but I believe the info is still accurate. I got to Maho early because I wanted a good table at Sunset Beach bar, and we loved the area so much we didn't budge. We did get in the water to cool off, it wasn't great swimming but it was fine, just a little rough with a pretty harsh drop off. But it was definitely a very cool way to spend the day. :)

We really enjoyed Maho Beach (so much so that my teen DD wants me to plan another cruise around it or take a land vacation).

The beach at Maho is wonderful if you want a good swim, crystal clear waters, big waves - not good for the kiddies but perfect and fun to float around in waiting for the next plane landing.

We purchase 2 chairs and an umbrella, I think it was $20 or $30 and we ate lunch and ordered food and drink service that they brought right to you (no fighting for food and drinks at the bar). It was a really fun day for us.

We took a cab to Mullet Bay beach right from the ship upon arrival ..

stayed at MBB which is a beautiful white sandy horseshoe shaped beach till around noon and walked to Maho ( approx. 15 min )

most of the arriving flights are midday . be lucky enough to catch a 747 jumbo from Europe arriving and you are in for a real treat !!!! same goes for watching that same jumbo take off an hour or 2 later and blowing people into the water and across the beach .... truly amazing !!

Have fun !!

My wife and I walked it maybe a year and a half ago....? It took us maybe 20 minutes or so. It was pretty easy. We followed the general idea of the map I had seen, probably the same as the above post. I remember cutting across a deserted golf course, then getting stuck behind a building, then backtracking a hundred yards back to a street and VOILA! There we were.

We had spent a couple hours a Mullet, then spent the remainder at Maho. No regrets. Both great beaches. We DID see a younger couple coming from Maho to Mullet by way of the water, walking across all the rocks etc. They said they would not do that again. We took their advise and followed the map idea. By the way, we are mid forties.

I asked on the port of call board already with no answer after a few days, so ill try here instead.

I was wondering how easy it is to walk from Mullet Bay to Maho in St.Maarten? I really want to go to Maho to see the planes, but everything I have read says that it's really not that spectacular of beach, so I was thinking of spending the rest of the day at Mullet Bay, just trying to find the best way to accomplish that.

I lived in St Martin for several years and it is very easy to get aroud the Island by bus/van. I have never walked from Mullet Bay to Maho but you could. But it is easier to just walk to the road and catch the bus./van, the cost use to be $1. Sometimes it will be a 30 passager bus sometimes a 15 passager van. You can get to most of the beaches on the Island by bus. Maho beach is rocky not a lot of sand.

I lived in St Martin for several years and it is very easy to get aroud the Island by bus/van. I have never walked from Mullet Bay to Maho but you could. But it is easier to just walk to the road and catch the bus./van, the cost use to be $1. Sometimes it will be a 30 passager bus sometimes a 15 passager van. You can get to most of the beaches on the Island by bus. Maho beach is rocky not a lot of sand.

Which beaches have bus service? Thanks.

Which beaches have bus service? Thanks.

The buses were one to two dollars when I was there under a year ago. We spent 2 weeks on the island, and rode the busses everywhere. Just look for the minivan looking vehicles. They will have a sign in the window that says where they are going and the license plates say bus. When getting on the bus two important things, make sure to great the driver and pay the bus fare.

The buses were one to two dollars when I was there under a year ago. We spent 2 weeks on the island, and rode the busses everywhere. Just look for the minivan looking vehicles. They will have a sign in the window that says where they are going and the license plates say bus. When getting on the bus two important things, make sure to great the driver and pay the bus fare.

Thanks for the info. What beaches other than Mullet, Maho, and Grand Case can be reached by bus?

karysa,

Those are the beaches. It will be interesting to see if Joyce comes back with a list.

You could also get off a bus and walk to Kim Sha Beach or a bit farther to the beginning of Simpson Bay Beach.

I guess you could get to Little Bay Beach by transferring at Cost-U-Less to the Hospital loop bus and a quarter mile walk.

Bus fares are based on 'zone' travel and range from $1 to $2. If you transfer, you pay each time.

th_sxmbusfares.jpg

(click)

BTW, I believe that you are to pay when getting OFF the bus.

gary

karysa,

Those are the beaches. It will be interesting to see if Joyce comes back with a list.

You could also get off a bus and walk to Kim Sha Beach or a bit farther to the beginning of Simpson Bay Beach.

I guess you could get to Little Bay Beach by transferring at Cost-U-Less to the Hospital loop bus and a quarter mile walk.

Bus fares are based on 'zone' travel and range from $1 to $2. If you transfer, you pay each time.

th_sxmbusfares.jpg

(click)

BTW, I believe that you are to pay when getting OFF the bus.

gary

Thanks Gary. I thought that those three were the ones that could be reached by bus. Reaching Grand Case would involve transferring in Marigot though, wouldn't it? Walking to Back St to catch a bus to get dropped off at the Cost -U Less so that you could walk another 1/4 mile to get to Little Bay to save $2-$3 dollars wouldn't be worth it to me. Also, catching a bus from Mullet to Maho would only be worth it if you didn't have to wait for the bus as this one is a easy and interesting walk.

I have to admit though I did get excited when Joyce wrote that "most" beaches were easily reached by bus. Perhaps someday.:)

Yes, Grand Case would include a transfer in Marigot.

I think the only busses that go as far as Mullet Bay Beach are if they are delivering passengers there. I'd plan on walking back to Maho vs. waiting for a bus.

To Little Bay Beach you would transfer at Cost-U-Less to the Hospital bus and ride it around the loop past Belair Beach Club to the entrance to Divi, then the 1/4 mile walk. Transfer, pay twice, walk? A taxi is looking pretty good. :)

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

gary

Yes, Grand Case would include a transfer in Marigot.

I think the only busses that go as far as Mullet Bay Beach are if they are delivering passengers there. I'd plan on walking back to Maho vs. waiting for a bus.

To Little Bay Beach you would transfer at Cost-U-Less to the Hospital bus and ride it around the loop past Belair Beach Club to the entrance to Divi, then the 1/4 mile walk. Transfer, pay twice, walk? A taxi is looking pretty good. :)

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

gary

Thanks for the clarification. I can just imagine how disappointed some people would be after they spent all of that time and effort just to get to Little Bay.:)

karysa,

She is talking about taking the bus from Maho to Marigot.

Basically the same instructions I suggested here last year.

<snip>

To get from Mullet to Maho why would Simpson Bay be any part of it whether on a bus or just walking between these two beaches?

gary

karysa,

She is talking about taking the bus from Maho to Marigot.

Basically the same instructions I suggested here last year.

gary

Oh gosh, my mistake. In post 7 Joyce mentioned taking a bus from Mullet to Maho and I thought that she was explaining how to do that. This makes a whole lot more sense to me now.:o. I still don't think it would make much sense to catch a bus from Mullet to Maho though unless you just happen upon one.:)

I was EXTREMELY nervous about making this walk because I was afraid it would be difficult. I was traveling alone with my sister, and we're both terrible with directions. But NO FEAR, it's very easy!

We spent the morning at Mullet (rented umbrellas and chairs totaling $15) and headed to Maho around 1, got there around 1:20. We only really spent an hour there because that's all you need for the experience. Not many people were swimming.

If you start at mullet, you head up the hill. When faced with the choice of left or right, you go right and pass some shops, it will be on your right. If you start at Maho, facing the airport you go left, walk down a street with shops on both sides and down the hill. You will be walking on the side of a road with no sidewalks, but it wasn't busy. If you see a golf course, you're on the right path! Either way you're walking through a street with shops and food on BOTH sides of you, and IIRC that part DOES have sidewalks. It's truly easier than it sounds, we had absolutely no problem at all. I was VERY nervous we'd get lost but it's very intuitive.

Mullet was BEAUTIFUL and I'd go back in a second. Wasn't too busy either. I can't recommend it enough. Bottled water at Mullet was $1 which we took with us for the walk to maho :) It was around 15 mins for 2 relatively in shape young girls.

EDIT: I just wanted to add the reason we started at Mullet and then went to Maho was because the planes are bigger in the afternoon. We left Maho around 3 or so because we had to be on the ship at 5, and we had PLENTY of time to spare. Also, the taxis are plentiful at Maho so there is no need to worry about that aspect, which is nice.

DH thinking of snorkeling, but doesn't want to book a tour. Read that Mullet might have some good snorkeling? any thoughts?

By the rocks at the left of the beach while facing the water there re some fish but the snorkeling is really nothing special.

Because of lunch.

I'm a bit confused about this statement.

Are you saying that one has to get over to Maho for lunch?

Mullet Bay Beach has two well established food stands, Rosie's and Daleo's.

Rosie's is well known for ribs and Daleo's gets good reviews for their hotdog, though I've yet to try one.

gary

Archived