Am I the only one who'd love to cruise without formal night?

josassoc

Ooohhh so now unless I have cruised Princess I can't speak to the issue properly? And then you wonder why people make comments about your attitude. :rolleyes:

Here's a newsflash!! The issue of dressing up on formal night is a problem on most of the mainstream cruiselines. Princess is not THAT special so don't kid yourself. Go to any of the other boards on CC and you will see that almost every forum on the boards is vociferous about formal night even the dreaded Carnival crowd.

How is it a problem? Been on Princess many times and dressing up on formal night does not seem to be a problem for Princess passengers. If they don't dress up they are not in the main dining room, they are at the Horizon. I don't recall ever seeing anyone in the main dining room on Princess and Celebrity not dressed up. I have seen some on the other crusie lines I have been on. I have cruised on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival and NCL. I have noticed differences in the way people dress. On Celebrity and Princess people tend to dress up more. Formal evening are pretty similiar on all the cruise lines but even on casual evenings on Celebrity and Princess there will be more men wearing a sports jacket or a dress short and a tie. (just an observation from me who wears a polo shirt and dockrs type on casual evenings and have felt underdressed at times!) , women will be wearing dressier clothes.

How is it a problem? Been on Princess many times and dressing up on formal night does not seem to be a problem for Princess passengers. If they don't dress up they are not in the main dining room, they are at the Horizon. I don't recall ever seeing anyone in the main dining room on Princess and Celebrity not dressed up. I have seen some on the other crusie lines I have been on. I have cruised on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival and NCL. I have noticed differences in the way people dress. On Celebrity and Princess people tend to dress up more. Formal evening are pretty similiar on all the cruise lines but even on casual evenings on Celebrity and Princess there will be more men wearing a sports jacket or a dress short and a tie. (just an observation from me who wears a polo shirt and dockrs type on casual evenings and have felt underdressed at times!) , women will be wearing dressier clothes.

Agree. Those of us in the dining room are dressed appropriately, so why all of the debating. Seems we are arguing a moot point.

Ok, I didnt plan to post on this thread again, but someone brought up something I personally thought would be fine, and they are saying its a NO NO. Not intending an argument, but would like to know what a few who are formal diehards (no insult intended, just observing you do not budge on the subject) I did see many (women) in black silky pants with glittery tops on my one and only cruise, maybe with fancy sandals. I think this is fine for formal night, and would like opinions from the following CC members: bdjam, spongerob, largin, coiran, pam in maine, and any others who have spoken out for their "cause" on this thread. Im having a senior moment, and know I am leaving some out. Sorry. This is not to fire up the argument again, I am truly curious to know if you think this type of formal wear is OK. Thanks, Karen

Interesting definitions I found on the net...

Black Tie means formal. Men wear tuxedos, women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

White Tie means ultra-formal. Men wear full dress, with white tie, vest, shirt. Women wear long gowns.

Black Tie Optional means you have the option of wearing a tuxedo, but it should clue you into the formality of the event, meaning a dark suit and tie would be your other option. Women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

Creative Black Tie leaves room for trendy interpretations of formal wear. He can go more modern with a tux -- maybe a black shirt, no tie. She wears long or short dresses or evening separates (maybe a long lace or sequined skirt with a sleek cashmere sweater).

Semi-formal is the trickiest of all dress codes. Usually it means that tuxes are not required, nor are long dresses. An evening wedding (after 6 PM) would still dictate dark suits for him, and a cocktail dress for her. Daytime semi-formal events mean a suit for him and an appropriate short dress or dressy suit for her.

Cocktail Attire means short, elegant dresses for her and dark suits for him.

Dressy Casual usually means no jeans or shorts. Similar to business casual, but a tad dressier.

Casual generally means anything goes.

Informal can mean the same as casual. However, when associated with a wedding or other special event, some form of decorum and good taste should prevail. A dress for her or a nice pair of slacks and shirt for him are informal, but respectful of the event.

If you posted that list to answer my question, it really doesnt. To me, dressy separates could constitute formal wear, but what I really wanted to hear is personal opinions from you.

I agree with you that on a cruise dressy separates can be worn on formal nights.. I stated earlier that formal on a ship does not equate to "Black Tie". In my opinion, black silk pants with a glittery top is great for formal night. The same goes for a nice basic short black cocktail dress.. My wife hates dresses so most of her shipboard formal attire is as you describe. One of her outfits resembles a tuxedo.. Myself, I am happy wearing my tux.. As for men, I'll take anything from a clean, pressed sportcoat with a tie (I know that some people do not own a suit) , suits and tuxes. This shows an effort to enjoy the evening in the style rquested by the cruiseline. The arguement that I have is with those that have the "it is my cruise and I can dress as I please attitude" and then purposely dressing down and wandering into the dining areas.

Stoneharborlady, when asked directly to comment upon ladies' dress, my response is always, "You look nice!" immediately followed by an emergency mission in search of a fresh cocktail. :)

I'm placing an urgent call to Isaac as I type this.

Largin, thank you for your response, we are in agreement. Spongerob, nope, that wont do. As I said, this question was not an argument, but rather just to satisfy my curiosity as to what some think of as formal. To me, and to Largin obviously, silky black pants and glittery top will pass the grade. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT? (Please)

Here is what Princess says:

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

If I see a woman in the dining room with anything less than an evening gown or a cocktail dress on I'm gonna tattle!!!! Take your glittery top and black pants to the Horizon Court. Either the die hard traditionalists on here have to agree to ban you from the dining room on formal night because you aren't following the 'rules" or we have a double standard for men and women!

Anyway, enough of this. How is the coffee on Princess :-)

Formal Evenings:

If I see a woman in the dining room with anything less than an evening gown or a cocktail dress on I'm gonna tattle!!!! Take your glittery top and black pants to the Horizon Court. Either the die hard traditionalists on here have to agree to ban you from the dining room on formal night because you aren't following the 'rules" or we have a double standard for men and women!

Sorry bjk TX, I totally disagree with that. BUT I will tell you this: The coffee on Princess is terrible!!!!!!!! :D

Largin, thank you for your response, we are in agreement. Spongerob, nope, that wont do. As I said, this question was not an argument, but rather just to satisfy my curiosity as to what some think of as formal. To me, and to Largin obviously, silky black pants and glittery top will pass the grade. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT? (Please)

Fine with me. Where's that cocktail?

Formal Evenings:

Pity. If you are this rigid, you are going to be miserable and you will be tattling on every cruise. I will wear my silk pants and glittery top and hold my head up high. Do you actually excuse yourself from a large table and go report all those dressed as described. This is really taking it to the extreme and that is what is causing this debate to go on and on. I think most of us have come to a mutual agreement and can live with the choices outlined.

Carol

Sorry bjk TX, I totally disagree with that. BUT I will tell you this: The coffee on Princess is terrible!!!!!!!! :D

Not So - look at the coffee thread - Princess coffee haters are in the minority.

Ron

Orginally posted by Riekl: "Quote" But going on a cruise with policies you know about, and then intentially violating them because YOU disagree with them is selfish, childish and in my belief immoral. "Quote"

I can think of many other things that I might consider immoral, but someone not wearing a tux or long gown is not at the top of my list!!

Ok, I didnt plan to post on this thread again, but someone brought up something I personally thought would be fine, and they are saying its a NO NO. Not intending an argument, but would like to know what a few who are formal diehards (no insult intended, just observing you do not budge on the subject) I did see many (women) in black silky pants with glittery tops on my one and only cruise, maybe with fancy sandals. I think this is fine for formal night, and would like opinions from the following CC members: bdjam, spongerob, largin, coiran, pam in maine, and any others who have spoken out for their "cause" on this thread. Im having a senior moment, and know I am leaving some out. Sorry. This is not to fire up the argument again, I am truly curious to know if you think this type of formal wear is OK. Thanks, Karen

Stoneharbor,

I think silky pants with a glittery top is just fine for formal night. I saw alot of that on my Alaskan cruise this past May.

Archived