Am I the only one who'd love to cruise without formal night?

josassoc

Because again, if the passenger knows what they are buying when they buy a Princess cruise, they are buying the ability to choose alternatives – and that includes a fine buffet instead of dining room food if they so choose. If they don’t know what they are buying, then maybe they shouldn’t be buying it. I can see no conceivable reason to buy something for what it is and then expect it to be something else. That point of debate is a little worn out.

And if they don't want the buffet then they should have that option. Just as the buffet is an alternative to the dining room so too is the dining room an alternative to the buffet.

And the formal nights are still there for those who wish to dress up. The menu is not for those who don't.

The dining room is there for those who follow the rules. The Patter doesn't say "If you feel like getting dressed" it states "Tonight's dress is formal".

So, the choice is get dressed and eat lobster or stay casual and don't. You know the rules before you get on the ship. Those folks who do get dressed get rewarded for good behavior.

The "me" generation has learned that if they scream long enough and loud enough they get what they want.

True the food tasted the same, but I understand that at times the serving staff tend to loose respect to those diners who refuse to dress by the 'rules', hence poorer service. john

Hmm, that would be odd for someone in a tip based position, i.e. poor service equates poor tips.

Cheers,

Peter

Lets keep the ball rolling.....

So the Princess web site etc states that the type of dress is "suggested" but once you get onboard the Patter makes it mandatory? If that's the case there's no wonder the dress rules are rarely enforced (assuming the person is dressed decently) - how could they?

And if they don't want the buffet then they should have that option. Just as the buffet is an alternative to the dining room so too is the dining room an alternative to the buffet.
And just as casual is an alternative to formal, formal is an alternative to casual. :rolleyes:

Your posts are going in circles and do nothing to offer any facts or suppositions to advance your side of the debate. I don’t think it’s a matter of people being denied something in this instance, it’s a matter of people wanting to get all that they can with as little effort as possible. Whatever the case, those dressing casually on formal nights are in the minority – at least in the parts of the ship where I dwell – and those dressing casually have been rightly asked to either change or use the buffet. While you seem to think that casual diners are being denied something they paid for, if I have to sit next to someone casually dressed on formal night, I'm being denied my formal evening, because contrary to what some might suggest, how others dress on a formal occasion does mean something to me. If they dress casually, it means they are not in the spirit of the formal evening.

I would think that rather than ruining one’s cruise by having to deal with such a difficult issue for some to understand, booking a cruise where there’s no ambiguity would be a solution.

And just as casual is an alternative to formal, formal is an alternative to casual. :rolleyes:

If that is what you want to choose that then have at it.

Your posts are going in circles and do nothing to offer any facts or suppositions to advance your side of the debate. I don’t think it’s a matter of people being denied something in this instance, it’s a matter of people wanting to get all that they can with as little effort as possible. Whatever the case, those dressing casually on formal nights are in the minority – at least in the parts of the ship where I dwell – and those dressing casually have been rightly asked to either change or use the buffet.

Why should they have to make an effort to get what they have paid for? As for the casually dressed being turned away, you've always see that happen? Every single time?

While you seem to think that casual diners are being denied something they paid for, if I have to sit next to someone casually dressed on formal night, I'm being denied my formal evening, because contrary to what some might suggest, how others dress on a formal occasion does mean something to me. If they dress casually, it means they are not in the spirit of the formal evening.

So? You are still dressed up. And has been pointed out it is not truly a formal evening since most people are not really doing that whole black tie thing you are so enamored with then they even change their clothes after dinner.

I would think that rather than ruining one’s cruise by having to deal with such a difficult issue for some to understand, booking a cruise where there’s no ambiguity would be a solution.

I agree. Perhaps you who should book your cruises with a cruise line that ensures the experience you are striving for.

Quote: Why should they have to make an effort to get what they have paid for? As for the casually dressed being turned away, you've always see that happen? Every single time?

I have seen preople turned away on my last two cruises and am not afraid to point it out to the maitre d.

Quote: So? You are still dressed up. And has been pointed out it is not truly a formal evening since most people are not really doing that whole black tie thing you are so enamored with then they even change their clothes after dinner.

Formal does not mean black tie. And since me and my BF are use to both formal and black tie affairs, we do not change after dinner

Quote: I agree. Perhaps you who should book your cruises with a cruise line that ensures the experience you are striving for.

Perhaps if you prefer to dress in tees, jeans and overalls, you should look for another line. I hear that Carnival might be better suited for dressing down. Myself I prefer to be with those that know how to dress appropriately

We are not talking tacky dress here, there are different degrees of

"dressy" and basically the Reps at Princess were saying within the

boundries of good judgement you would be allowed in the dining room

I suggest you follow the dress request and not go by your interpretation of what the reps say. sounds like wishfull thinking. While I have heard some reports that people have seen some people not turned away and allowed in I personally have seen people turned away from the dining room on formal night on Princess if the man did not have a jacket on. And I don't recall ever seeing men in the dining room without a jacket on formal evening on Princess. Maybe they are slack on some ships but I would not count on it.

I've never eaten dinner at the buffet on Princess, so maybe someone can educate me as to how it works?

On HAL, in the evenings, the "buffet" is actually more like a sit-down dinner. You go through the buffet line to get your salad, etc., but then your entree is delivered to you at your table. Wine/drink service is available as well. The tables in the Lido buffet are set up with tablecloths, silverware, I believe candlelight, and the rolls, etc. are already on them.

So, while it is technically a buffet, HAL makes an effort to give their pax a quality dining experience if they opt to eat there (perhaps because it is formal night and they don't want to get dressed up).

How does Princess do their "buffet" in the evenings?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I do think this thread should DIE however, I do have one comment to make. I agree with those who feel that those who "dress down" ruin the evening for the rest of us. My example---on our last cruise in April aboard the Sun Princess, during the first formal night, we were seated at a table with 3 women and one man who were not appropiately dressed. The man had a Hawaiian shirt on and all three ladies were in VERY casual outfits. There was one other couple at our table dressed for the formal night as we were. It just ruined our dinner(we were in personal choice dining, of course). The man kept joking about how dumb he thought the formal nights were. We ate and FLED!!!!! I did not have the nerve to suggest that they should have eaten somewhere else. Just thought that would make things worse. We just decided to forget it and enjoy the rest of our evening BUT I don't think it should have ever happened. The dining room staff should not have let them in.:mad:

I realize that formal night is a tradition for cruising. But, it is my vacation...and I'd love to be able to relax and forego the dress and heels for a week. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I'm NOT looking for an education on the etiquette of cruising. I don't wear jeans to the dining room. I do follow the rules and bring/wear my black cocktail attire when we cruise. I'D JUST RATHER NOT! (So flamers find another victim!!)

What I wish is that I could JUST ONCE go on a cruise without having to go through the enire hassle of getting so dressed up...so that they can sell more photos. My opinion.

Going back to the original poster - You don't have to cruise with formal nights - just cruise on a line that accepts only "casual" dress anywhere anytime - It's that simple - don't cruise on Princess!

Ron

Responses given by shecruise were spot on – thank you for that. But just in case:

Why should they have to make an effort to get what they have paid for? As for the casually dressed being turned away, you've always see that happen? Every single time?
Unfortunately, not every single time – and when it doesn’t happen I’m only too happy to point it out to the staff, in my comment card, and via letter to Princess. I like to think the recent incidents where people in casual clothes were denied entrance into the dining room on formal night might have something to do with my voicing my concerns.

And no one has to make an effort to get what they paid for - Princess lays it all out in Horizon Court.

So? You are still dressed up. And has been pointed out it is not truly a formal evening since most people are not really doing that whole black tie thing you are so enamored with then they even change their clothes after dinner.
I’m not quite sure I understand your point, but if I do, let me say that most people do participate - and according to the Princess guidelines, which is what we're talking about, black tie is not required for the formal evenings. I’m perfectly happy with the fact that Princess presents casual alternatives to formal evenings for those who don’t wish to participate. What makes me unhappy is those who do not wish to participate in formal evenings – by following the dress guidelines – but who refuse the casual alternatives. They should make a choice – either in or out.
Perhaps you who should book your cruises with a cruise line that ensures the experience you are striving for.
See above – I hope that my suggestions to Princess will ensure they are the cruise line that presents the experience I would like to have. In the meantime, they do sell the cruise experience I’d like to have, whereas it’s not the experience others who buy Princess cruise tickets want…so I’m not sure I should be the one looking for something else.

I believe we’ve touched on all these points ad nausea, and unless there’s something new that you might come up with that would add something to the debate – which it doesn’t seem there is – I’m done. The facts are that most cruise passengers understand what a formal night is and the casual alternatives available to them. The vocal minority here only makes it seem otherwise.

I have seen preople turned away on my last two cruises and am not afraid to point it out to the maitre d.

Oh my...the fashion police enforcement unit!! So what does he do when you point it out? Does he bar their entrance? Does he make them leave?

Formal does not mean black tie. And since me and my BF are use to both formal and black tie affairs, we do not change after dinner

So? Other people do. Does that ruin your experience.

Perhaps if you prefer to dress in tees, jeans and overalls, you should look for another line. I hear that Carnival might be better suited for dressing down. Myself I prefer to be with those that know how to dress appropriately

Well then you should definitely be booked on another cruise line since obviously not all of the people on Princess are dressed that way.

Actually Carnival is no more suited to dressing down than Princess so your comments are incorrect as they relate to dining on Carnival.

I suggest you follow the dress request and not go by your interpretation of what the reps say. sounds like wishfull thinking. While I have heard some reports that people have seen some people not turned away and allowed in I personally have seen people turned away from the dining room on formal night on Princess if the man did not have a jacket on. And I don't recall ever seeing men in the dining room without a jacket on formal evening on Princess. Maybe they are slack on some ships but I would not count on it.

I know everyone is sick of this but I do have one last question The make or break of this thread seems to be geared at the men. They are a fairly easy target, you either have a jacket and a tie on, or you do not. But what about a woman. If she is in her Sunday best, does she have to worry someone is going to tell her that is not formal enough? I can just imagine the embarrasment of some poor woman who in her mind is dressed in her best outfit and gets turned away from the dining room. Is someone standing at the door with a rating card and at some criteria, you don't cut the mustard?

Silk or velvet is OK but a frilly Polyester would not make the grade? I do not own a gown or a cocktail dress but feel what I do wear is dressy.

And no one has to make an effort to get what they paid for - Princess lays it all out in Horizon Court.

That would be incorrect. My understanding is that the lobster is omitted on formal night. Not that it matters, the buffet is not the same as being served in the dining room. If there were an option similar to what HAL does then I could agree with that whole "get thee to the buffet" thing but there is not.

In the meantime, they do sell the cruise experience I’d like to have, whereas it’s not the experience others who buy Princess cruise tickets want…so I’m not sure I should be the one looking for something else.

They may sell that cruise experience but that is not what you are receiving according to your own words. Do you always buy something from someone that isn't what you want?

It just boggles my mind that people worry about what others are wearing to the extent that they "tattle" to the maitre de. It astounds me even more that people claim that their evening is ruined because of how others are dressed.

Tell me do you guys call 911 to report speeders too?

ripleys,

And it astounds me, as well as many otheres here how people like yourself can not understand that what you wear has an effect on the atmosphere of where you happen to be.

Walk into the dining room with everyone in slacks is one feeling, walk in with everyone in tux's, suits and ball gowns and it is quite different. When people attempt to circumvent the rules that exist to protect this atmosphere they are being rude and selfish.

If you do not want a formal night, cruise on a line without one. But if you dress down on formal night on my cruise, I can assure you that I will "tattle" on you and hope you enjoy the embarassment of being removed from the dining room for flaunting rules you know that exist.

There are so many places on board to eat where there is no dress code, why do you insist on spoiling the one place that still has one ? Bottom line, formal night is formal night plan for it, if you dont like it vote with your pocket book and cruise elsewhere.

[/color][/font]

Oh my...the fashion police enforcement unit!! So what does he do when you point it out? Does he bar their entrance? Does he make them leave?

Yes, they are asked to return to their stateroom and change.

Well then you should definitely be booked on another cruise line since obviously not all of the people on Princess are dressed that way.

Actually Carnival is no more suited to dressing down than Princess so your comments are incorrect as they relate to dining on Carnival.

Uh have you cruised on Carnival ? I have .. it is DEFINATELY less dressy then Princess .. by a large margin at that.

I just wanted to say that on one cruise we went on even though I brought a formal dress, I wasn't feeling well, and decided not to dress up. My husband did. I went into the dining room with him & nobody was upset with me or ridiculed me or said anything. Nobody cared. I still got to eat in the dining room and had a great time. (I wore nice dinner clothes, but not formal). I think it's fine for those who don't go formal to still eat in the dining room with those who do. Who really cares if some people don't go "formal". I don't. Formal should be optional (actually, I think it is). As long as "smart casual" or "dressy" is worn, that should be fine. Well, that's my opinion on the subject. :)

No actually it is not optional, at least not on Princess. It is often not strictly enforced, but the atmosphere on formal nights requires formal dress in the dining rooms.

I feel bad that you didn't feel well .. I guess I just dont understand why getting into your formal dress would have taken more work then your nice dinner clothes ? My wife has all kinds of clothes and I must say the fancy dresses are the easiest ones for her to get into =)

Archived