Am I the only one who'd love to cruise without formal night?

josassoc

Please re-read my post. When I referred to dressing after six, my reference was to when I first started cruising and if a passenger was not dressed appropriately and was up on deck after 6:00, they were spoken to by ship’s personnel. I believe you have taken this out of context and somehow applied it to the present. I realize this is no longer the case, especially on Princess ships.

For some reason, because I’m steadfast with my opinion, people who are posting here seem to think that I want everyone who is dressed casually “relegated” to steerage. That’s not the case – I’ve only indicated the available alternatives – what that means to people has been interpreted by each in his or her own way.

I'm not sure how it was taken out of context, you've stated that the formal event is the entire evening, and not limited to dining. In addition, you've stated that the entertainment options (present tense) for those in casual attire is the Horizon Court. Reread your posts 86 and 97, both present the casual entertainment options in the present tense. In addition, you state that the better production shows are presented on formal nights. In other words, if the formal event is for the entire evening, there are casual entertainment options for those that don't dress formally, and the better shows are on formal nights--people that don't dress formally miss the better production shows. Of course, they knew that when they signed up for a Princess cruise.

You are definitely not alone. We dont llike to dress up either. On Princess, they have a special buffet where they set the tables and have a great buffet where you dont have to dress up. I think they call it the Caribe Buffet.

LOL ... so that's where everyone was on the formal nights! On my recent Hawaii cruise I was shocked at how many empty spots there were ... sometimes whole tables ... in the traditional dining room on formal nights! Made me realize ... hey, it ain't just me who doesn't like this crap. :) I would have thought that a 15-day cruise would have had a lot more people enjoying the formal night experience.

Now, with some seven-day Caribbean or Alaska itineraries, formal nights seem almost silly ... and I would have expected all those empty tables in the dining room on one of them.

But guess even on longer itineraries, lots of people must opt for the buffet rather than the tux. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Seriously, though ... while I don't care for playing "dress up," I do follow the rules. I agree that Princess should pick a direction and stick with it, and then those who don't like it can just find another line to sail with.--rita

I take some exception with this statement. We are not "playing" dress up or engaging in some kind of middle class fantasy. We are enjoying an evening that includes some formality - something that gets little appreciation in today's do-what-you-feel society. Princess has a direction already. It is those who feel that because they choose to swim against the stream, the entire river should be re-routed that need to consider their direction.

Those who don't like the idea of formal evenings have alternatives, on Princess or on other lines. Why should Princess change their standards, to please those who don't wish to follow? If those who don't appreciate formal dress are really so uncaring about how others dress, why is there so much energy devoted to this issue? :confused:

I take some exception with this statement. We are not "playing" dress up or engaging in some kind of middle class fantasy. We are enjoying an evening that includes some formality - something that gets little appreciation in today's do-what-you-feel society. Princess has a direction already. It is those who feel that because they choose to swim against the stream, the entire river should be re-routed that need to consider their direction.

Those who don't like the idea of formal evenings have alternatives, on Princess or on other lines. Why should Princess change their standards, to please those who don't wish to follow? If those who don't appreciate formal dress are really so uncaring about how others dress, why is there so much energy devoted to this issue? :confused:

Very well said.

LOL ... so that's where everyone was on the formal nights! On my recent Hawaii cruise I was shocked at how many empty spots there were ... sometimes whole tables ... in the traditional dining room on formal nights! Made me realize ... hey, it ain't just me who doesn't like this crap. :) I would have thought that a 15-day cruise would have had a lot more people enjoying the formal night experience.

Now, with some seven-day Caribbean or Alaska itineraries, formal nights seem almost silly ... and I would have expected all those empty tables in the dining room on one of them.

But guess even on longer itineraries, lots of people must opt for the buffet rather than the tux. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

On my last two Alaska cruises on the Coral, both dining rooms were packed with suits and tuxes on both formal nights.

" On Princess, they have a special buffet where they set the tables and have a great buffet where you dont have to dress up. I think they call it the Caribe Buffet."

Is this something new (since the fall)? Or is the Caribe buffet offered on some of the ships? I didn't see it on the two Princess cruises I've been on.

LOL ... so that's where everyone was on the formal nights! On my recent Hawaii cruise I was shocked at how many empty spots there were ... sometimes whole tables ... in the traditional dining room on formal nights! Made me realize ... hey, it ain't just me who doesn't like this crap.
While we were on the same ship when you saw people turned away from the dining room, one of us obviously got on another ship for dinner. Either that or we were in different dining rooms. Our section was full for the entire cruise; formal night/casual night…didn’t matter. Lots of people like this "crap."
I'm not sure how it was taken out of context, you've stated that the formal event is the entire evening, and not limited to dining.
I can’t seem to find my post that says that. I said that was true of when I first started cruising, which by my signature, it can be seen was 1993.
In addition, you've stated that the entertainment options (present tense) for those in casual attire is the Horizon Court. Reread your posts 86 and 97, both present the casual entertainment options in the present tense.
Right-o. I also said that pools, walks on the open decks and MUTS were included in the mix – I think only the portion of my posts that facilitate a counter argument are being read. I also left out hot tubs and romantic nights on the balcony…if anyone can conceive of that.
In addition, you state that the better production shows are presented on formal nights. In other words, if the formal event is for the entire evening, there are casual entertainment options for those that don't dress formally, and the better shows are on formal nights--people that don't dress formally miss the better production shows.
Now that I did state…but it’s interesting that’s the only part of my argument that has stuck. I also indicated that I would wager those who don’t partake in formal dinners probably could care less if they missed production shows…that’s my bit of wild interpretation.
Of course, they knew that when they signed up for a Princess cruise.
I don’t know how it was back in 1983, but when I took my first of 15 Princess cruises in 1996, my travel agent told me what to expect, including that the formal evening festivities were of a higher grade than the other nights on board…right, I – a new Princess cruiser - knew what to expect. I must have gotten very lucky because believe me she wasn’t the greatest travel agent on the planet.

Not only that, I would hope that anyone with a bit of common sense would realize that a formal evening is going to be a bit more special than your run of the mill casual evening. If not, then maybe we do need to continue to have formal nights as an educational experience.

Those who don't like the idea of formal evenings have alternatives, on Princess or on other lines. Why should Princess change their standards, to please those who don't wish to follow? If those who don't appreciate formal dress are really so uncaring about how others dress, why is there so much energy devoted to this issue
As usual, ‘rob, you are so very good at articulating what I’m thinking. Thanks.

Wish the cruiselines would designate one dining room formal and one casual. Wish everyone could have their way - and this is a simple solution.

Wish people would stay civil about this and any other topic - even when they vehemently disagree.

Yes, we all know what to expect when we cruise. Doesn't mean we have to like it all. Doesn't mean we want to miss out on the rest of the Princess experience because we don't like formal night.

Doesn't mean our opinions are wrong - just because they are different than yours.

The cruise lines are ever evolving and will continue to do so. Hopefully there is room for all of us. I do not care for MUTTS. I do not watch TV at home so certainly would not go out of my way to stare at a screen while on vacation but there are those that think this was a great idea. I'm willing to concede this and live with it. There are those of us who need to dress up when at home and would like a different experience when on vacation. I get "work flash backs"

when dressed in formal wear but I love Princess, love the dining room experience and the shows, the cabins, the personnel, the pool, all of it. With Princess being as creative as they are, they might someday come up with a solution that will make all of us happy.

I realize that formal night is a tradition for cruising. But, it is my vacation...and I'd love to be able to relax and forego the dress and heels for a week. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I'm NOT looking for an education on the etiquette of cruising. I don't wear jeans to the dining room. I do follow the rules and bring/wear my black cocktail attire when we cruise. I'D JUST RATHER NOT! (So flamers find another victim!!)

What I wish is that I could JUST ONCE go on a cruise without having to go through the enire hassle of getting so dressed up...so that they can sell more photos. My opinion.

You could sail on NCL then...

Wish the cruiselines would designate one dining room formal and one casual. Wish everyone could have their way - and this is a simple solution.

But a lot of posters to this thread are missing the point...........The Patter states "The dress for the evening.....". This tells me it is not just for dinner but the entire evening.

Don't get me wrong I was one of those who dressed for dinner and then made a dash for the cabin to change into shorts. Then I realized (with help from this board-thank you Brian-and going on more frequent and longer cruises) that it was meant to be for the entire evening. I enjoy fixed seating and all the cruise traditions so, for me, it adds to the cruise experience. Then someone else pointed out that it is disrespectful to the Captain and crew who are dressed in formal attire to not follow the guidelines. I agree with this also.

So the bottom line is that when I go on a 10 or 14 night cruise, I go knowing that there will be X number of formal nights and I will observe the rules. It is the same as going to a wedding or a fine restaurant in casual clothing.

It's just that - if one choses not to dress - and one eats in the buffet so as to not annoy others - we need to walk around the ship to get to the buffet. There is no "freight" elevator for those of us who choose to leave the dressy duds at home. We will be mingling.

My husband has to wear a suit every day at work - I no longer will put on a pair of panty hose until the day one of my sons gets marrried. Choices - life is about choices.

However, I don't know why people even notice what others are wearing on formal night. Even when I try to guage the percentages - even when I make a concentrated effort to count who's wearing what - I lose interest in five minutes. I'm too busy having fun with my companions.

The Star had three dining rooms. One could've been formal seating/formal dress - another could've been formal wear PC - and the last could've been resort casual.

In these days when the airlines weigh your luggage - we no longer have the freedom to haul so many changes of clothes. And anyway, when one is on a 14 day cruise, one has to have so many changes of underwear it almost fills the suitcase. LOL

Hauling the accrutrements necessary to dress up for 3 formal nights is just a hassle I'm not willing to put up with. I just wish others wouldn't assume I'm a nasty, horrible person because I don't want to wear formal clothes.

I can’t seem to find my post that says that. I said that was true of when I first started cruising, which by my signature, it can be seen was 1993.

You might want to refer back to you previous post--#97 shown below (among others). It doesn't look like a reference to 1993 to me. I included it in it's entirety so I'm not accused of taking it out of context.

"I would say that based on my experiences, those who view formal evenings – emphasis on EVENINGS – as only dressing for dinner, would be incorrect. Just because passengers dress for dinner and then change into casual attire doesn’t mean the definition of a formal evening has changed (and I’m not sure that I agree that the majority of passengers do this). It just means people are ignoring the definition, which isn’t proper. Those who enjoy a formal evening, therefore, already have compromised that evening in that those who remain casual do partake in other activities around the ship.

So, if one follows along with the definition of a formal evening, the problem with having one casual dining room is that the evening no longer is formal. The premise posted here seems to be that those of us who prefer formal evenings should give them up so that those who don’t can feel comfortable. But my point continues to be that there are other cruise lines – and alternatives on Princess ships – for those who do not wish to partake in formal evenings – I don’t think it reasonable to ask that these evenings be compromised when alternatives exist.

Princess, along with other cruise lines that offer formal evenings, don’t hide the fact that this is part of the cruise experience. Nor do they hide the fact that there are casual alternatives on their ships – nor do other cruise lines hide the fact that they offer casual experiences. So, right – they’ve paid for a cruise which includes formal evenings…they've paid for it knowing what the experience includes and what the alternatives are."

I would wager those who don’t partake in formal dinners probably could care less if they missed production shows…that’s my bit of wild interpretation.

How about some consistency--is it a formal evening or a formal dinner?

I've never really surveyed the people that are not dressed formally at the production shows, so I don't know if they were formal diners. However, it is clear to me that there are plenty of people that don't partake of a "formal evening" that care for the production shows as well as other entertainment outside of the Horizon Court. Since you choose to characterize it as an evening rather than just dinner, it seems that your interpretation is presumptuous and wrong, as well as wild.

And please don't tell me that I should sail NCL instead of Princess. That comment is getting old here. As stated before; I enjoy Princess, I know what I'm getting when I sign up, I dress for dinner--and I think that (with up to 7 dining rooms) Princess should be able to accomodate those that want to dress casually on formal night in a dining room (not buffet). I would probably continue to dress for dinner, but it would be nice to have the option.

The Star had three dining rooms. One could've been formal seating/formal dress - another could've been formal wear PC - and the last could've been resort casual.

I just wish others wouldn't assume I'm a nasty' date=' horrible person because I don't want to wear formal clothes.[/quote']

Right on.

In fact the Star, Grand, and Golden have 5 dining rooms when you count the specialty restaurants. The Diamond and the Sapphire have 7.

Even if they don't view you as nasty and horrible, they probably consider you a self-centered anarchist. I think you sound reasonable.

I do not think formal wear is supposed to match the attire of the region you are cruising in.

Its tradition. Luckily for those that don't want to dress formal you now have an option.

Pretty simple.....formal night you dress formal or go to the buffet

Why can't people let this topic die............

You dont have to read it. Try the NCL board instead, LOL :D

But a lot of posters to this thread are missing the point...........The Patter states "The dress for the evening.....". This tells me it is not just for dinner but the entire evening.

So why doesn't Princess make this "point' on their website or in their brochures...Is it by accident or by design they seem to make this "point" only in publications one receives after purchasing the cruise.

In their Caribbean & Mexico 2004-05 brochure I could not find one picture of a man in a tux...There are several photos of men dining tieless...The only pictures of men with suit and tie seem to be those taken in suites.

I assume brochures of other destinations are different...However in this case unless one reads the fine print one gets the impression Princess is going casual.

Why can't people let this topic die............

Because it's way too much fun to argue - anonymously - with perfect strangers - sometimes behaving in ways one would not - if one was talking face-to-face. It's the nature of the internet.

But really - some of us cannot let this subject go - no matter how many times we "argue" it. It's perversely entertaining.

Yes, the "cruise NCL" statement is getting old.

BTW - London was attacked by evil cowards - moves this discussion into the silly, stupid, inane category, doesn't it?

You all need to take a chill pill. Geez.

Maybe Princess should just make the dining room "clothing optional". Can't get much more casual than that.

On second thought......maybe not.

That would make the Horizon Court a much more appealing option.

[/font][/font]

How about some consistency--is it a formal evening or a formal dinner?

I've never really surveyed the people that are not dressed formally at the production shows, so I don't know if they were formal diners. However, it is clear to me that there are plenty of people that don't partake of a "formal evening" that care for the production shows as well as other entertainment outside of the Horizon Court. Since you choose to characterize it as an evening rather than just dinner, it seems that your interpretation is presumptuous and wrong, as well as wild.

QUOTE]

Sounds like formal evening to me..

From my May 21, 2005 Coral Princess Patter, the first day of our Alaska cruise.

Dress Codes..

During the day, sportswear and casual clothes are suggested. However, we ask that you do not wear bathing suits or beach attire in public rooms or lounges, especially the Dining Rooms. Guidelines for wear from 5:30pm and throughout the evening are:

Formal: A Dinner Jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies.

Smart Casual: An open-neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt and blouse or trouser suit outfit for the ladies.

I love formal night but I have to admit that years ago, I used to bring truly formal, complete with beading, dresses. Now, I have a full-length black jersey dress that takes up little room and bring a couple of beaded/sequined shawls to wear with it. I get to wear my jewelry and feel as formal as I used to with the heavy dresses.

My brother-in-law has fun with his tux: he wears a special tux jacket designed and made for his Princeton class that is orange with a black tiger design. It's worn with black pants and all of the other formal accoutrements. Even back in the days when the Maitre D' had ties to hand out to any male who ventured into the dining room on any night without them, no one has ever said anything. I think he looks pretty distinguished!

It was not my intent to be mean with the Read the NCL Board comment. I have been stuck with a broken leg for a month, and my sense of humor is becoming warped. It was just for a little laugh. :o Karen
Karen, so sorry to hear about your broken leg. I can completely sympathize: my daughter dislocated and broke her ankle in two places (plus torn ligaments and stretched tendons) which had to be put back together with 6" plates and screws on both sides of the ankle. That was over two months ago and she's still not allowed to use the leg for anything more than balance with the boot (no more than 50% pressure). She lives alone and has been having a really tough time doing even the basics. I've been going up every weekend (she's 3 hours north, in northern NH) to help out and I can see how frustrated she is. So, I know what you're going through.

QUOTE=Pam in MA]Karen, so sorry to hear about your broken leg. I can completely sympathize: my daughter dislocated and broke her ankle in two places (plus torn ligaments and stretched tendons) which had to be put back together with 6" plates and screws on both sides of the ankle. That was over two months ago and she's still not allowed to use the leg for anything more than balance with the boot (no more than 50% pressure). She lives alone and has been having a really tough time doing even the basics. I've been going up every weekend (she's 3 hours north, in northern NH) to help out and I can see how frustrated she is. So, I know what you're going through.

Thanks Pam, Im not the best of patients, I like to do for myself, and after a month of this, its getting old!!! I took a shortcut down the basement steps, so it is my own fault for going too fast. I guess this too will pass. Karen

While we were on the same ship when you saw people turned away from the dining room, one of us obviously got on another ship for dinner. Either that or we were in different dining rooms. Our section was full for the entire cruise; formal night/casual night…didn’t matter. Lots of people like this "crap."

I was sitting with a fellow cruise critic member and her aunt at second seating in the traditional dining room. We were at a table for eight. On most formal nights we were the only three there. Other tables around us had loads of empty spots too.

Of course, it could be that people switched to personal choice. I know one couple at our table switched to early dining quite early in the cruise.

I'm not saying that the reason for all those empty spaces was necessarily formal night. There were other nights a lot of people seemed to be missing too ... such as on port days when perhaps they spent a full day ashore and were too tired to come to dinner and opted for an in-cabin dinner instead. I don't know. All I am saying is that perhaps Princess should survey their passengers and find out what they think about formal nights ... especially on certain itineraries.

I would imagine ... and this is just a guess ... that on a Europe itinerary, for example, the overwhelming majority love getting dressed up and doing the formal routine. That sort of itinerary and the type of people who would probably sail it would seem perfectly matched to the whole formal experience. But for a Caribbean or perhaps an Alaska cruise, I would bet that most passengers would opt to keep the whole thing casual.

In any event, I would love to know what others think about this ... and not just the relatively few of us that post to these boards.

I'm sure you realize that in the grand scheme of things very, very few cruisers have even heard of CruiseCritic.com.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived