I Need Information on Shipping Baggage Home At Cruise End

Boreus

Does anyone know how I can ship baggage to the US from Rotterdam on my own? I am looking into a cruise next year (OK, I am a cruise junkie) that ends in Rotterdam, and I would like to ship most of my baggage home and travel light in Europe for another week or so. I know some cruise lines can accomodate this and handle the shipping but the line I would be using (Holland America) will not. I assume FedEx, UPS, or DHL, will do this but I am finding it difficult to get clear directions about how to go about it.

Wouldn't it be easier and more cost efficient to rent a locker at the airport from which you'll be departing and pick up your luggage when you fly home? Or perhaps you can store it at a local hotel if you'll be staying a night there before you return.

Call FedEx or UPS or just go to the closest FULL SERVICE FedEx or UPS office. They will give you implicit instructions, including customs fees (there should not be any-you are shipping your own USED clothes home). USED Clothes is the key word. Sometimes you are required to box the luggage. Be prepared for that. Shipping from Europe is not nearly as complicated as you think. Good Luck!!!

I have shipped to and from cruises many times. You can use Fed Ex, DHL (the least expensive) or UPS from most European cities. You do not need to box your luggage for any of these companies. You must take your bags to the facility you chose (finding one might not be easy), fill out all the forms including a US Custom's declaration, pay the fees (each bag will cost over $225 each for one way shipping), make sure to add extra insurance, and you CANNOT lock your bags in any way (US Customs will open and go through each bag at the entry point of the shipping).

As for storing them in airport lockers, no airport I know of has lockers anymore due to security concerns. It has become even more difficult to find storage facilities since 9/11.

Apparently there are still some "lockers" in some airports. I found this info about Heathrow:

Each terminal has a left baggage facility for storing luggage for a number of hours or days. Items are security checked. Left baggage offices also offer competitive unaccompanied baggage rates and services and sell luggage and travel accessories. Charges are £5.50 per item per day (or part thereof). The service is operated by the Excess Baggage Company, who can be contacted on +44 (0)20 8745 4599. Opening times are:

Terminal 1 (06:00-23:00)

Terminal 2 (06:00-22:30)

Terminal 3 (05:30-22:30)

Terminal 4 (05:30-23:00)

Using the combined information of Kitty9 and Greatam I went to my local Full Service DHL office and was given the Rotterdam address of where to drop off my bag for shipping to the US. The estimated price was within dollars of Kitty9's number. Are these boards great or what? I appreciated Purple Cow's suggestion but I plan to fly out of Paris, not Rotterdam. Of posssible future use was Purple Cow's information on the Heathrow left baggage facility which may come in handy since I usually transit there (but not this time.) Now if we could only turn these boards loose on a cure for the common cold!

Archived