Oct. 26 Athens to Dubai Security plans?

richchap

I am booked on this cruise and have read that at some point in the trip after passing thru the canal additional security people board. If that's the case it sounds good to me. What I'm curious about is whether there are some areas like perhaps the Gulf of Aden and or Red Sea where the security is put in place and what it means for the passengers. I have heard that the ship goes into a modified blackout and that no one is allowed outside between sundown and sunup. If this is the case from what point does this usually occur. How long can ramped up night security last?

Another reason I ask the question is that if passengers are not allowed on the pool deck then where is the smoking area? I like a few cigarettes occasionally.

We just did this cruise from Mumbai to Athens in May. We had 5 special British forces men on the ship during the passage and crew members had watches on the 5th deck. We were in blackout for 9 days from about 6 pm until 6 am. and all drapes in the cabins had to remain close and lights off on the balconies. Also had a pirate drill. Smoking section had sheets covering the windows and candles on the table. Very dark but lots of stars!!! My hubby was a smoker so I would go up and see the stars!! We got a letter in our stateroom explaining this entire situation. We had no problems! During the day passengers were on the 5th deck with the crew while they were on watch. They had the hoses extended to the railings just in case.

Some passengers were annoyed with the whole situation but most were interested in seeing how the crew and special service men protected the ship and passengers! It was a cruise to remember!!!

Thank you very much for your excellent answer. It sounds as if your nine days of enhanced security was during the time you passed thru the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea. Were passengers allowed on the pool deck or outside of Windows in the evening?

Thanks again. I can't wait.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi,

We think we had the special forces from Mumbai until entering the Suez Canal where they were let off to join another ship going the opposite direction.

No one was allowed outside during curfew except for the smokers who were in a small area outside the gym door location. It was very dark!! No one was outside Windows because there were no lights on!

Hope this helps! Enjoy your cruise!! It sure went by fast considering the number of sea days. Senior staff did Q&A's about their jobs which was very interesting. The sound system up on deck 9 and 10 was not very good in understanding the enrichment person's narrative while cruising through the canal. You should listen on the TV in your stateroom or stand just under a speaker!!

BTW, ship was not full, just over 400 passengers!

Anne

Anne. Again, thanks for the personal account of your passage. Your observations and the security measures described sound fine. How was the weather at that time? Warm? Perhaps the pool during the day?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We just did this cruise from Mumbai to Athens in May. We had 5 special British forces men on the ship during the passage and crew members had watches on the 5th deck. We were in blackout for 9 days from about 6 pm until 6 am. and all drapes in the cabins had to remain close and lights off on the balconies. Also had a pirate drill. Smoking section had sheets covering the windows and candles on the table. Very dark but lots of stars!!! My hubby was a smoker so I would go up and see the stars!! We got a letter in our stateroom explaining this entire situation. We had no problems! During the day passengers were on the 5th deck with the crew while they were on watch. They had the hoses extended to the railings just in case.

Some passengers were annoyed with the whole situation but most were interested in seeing how the crew and special service men protected the ship and passengers! It was a cruise to remember!!!

Anne

Sounds like a really interesting experience. I would love the star gazing even though I do not like being around smokers usually, but I can make exceptions! Wish we had been able to back to back this trip onto our Dubai-Singapore cruise.

Maybe one day!

Very hot and humid weather!!! I spent most of the time on the balcony in the shade! I think I only stayed in the sun for 1/2 hour each day!!

If you walk towards the bar area away from the smokers you can enjoy the stars and avoid the smoke!!

We are glad we did the Suez. We have done the Panama a few times and Kiel Canal just this past June up to the Baltic!! They are all so different!!

Enjoy your time on board!!

Anne

Archived