4th of July cruise re-routed to Newport (2nd time)

Malinda1229

Cunard has done it again. The current 4th of July cruise has been re-routed to Newport RI for the second time. Funny how the 4th of July cruise for 2006 is not scheduled for New York but Boston, Maine and Halifax Nova Scotia!!

I can’t believe that they did this to the passengers again. While I was onboard my westbound transatlantic June 26 – July 2 I asked several crew members if they were going to NY or somewhere else some smiled and said we don’t know yet. I find this hard to believe. This amounts to false advertising; I believe that the port of NY has been closed to commercial traffic since 9-11 and if this is true I wonder if the passengers could file a class action suit?

I do realize that the line has the right to change the itinerary but my question is how can they advertise something they know that they will be unable to deliver???

I’m very happy that this year I opted not to take that 4th of July cruise and took the Transatlantic instead. I assumed it would be the same re-routing as last year and I did not want to be disappointed. Having said that tomorrow I will be taking a ride to Newport (I live in RI) and I will take some photos of a Queen!!

Malinda

Anyone who follows what the QM2 is doing, knows that NYC is out of bounds for the 4th. I think they thought they could get the QM2 into the harbor again. Notice that in 2006 Cunard is going to be in Boston. on the 4th. I think they finally gave up on the idea. I'm not sure why people are so upset about going to Newport? It's a beautiful harbor.

Hi,

Just disembarked from the July 4th cruise on QM2. We anchored off Staten Island for the NYC fireworks, and we could see them all -- a little far away, but with all the NY harbor traffic, how close could we really get?

The thing is, the July 3rd Newport fireworks were SPECTACULAR. It's a beautiful harbor, and we got so close to the fireworks that they took up your entire field of view -- it was unbelievable. I've actually never been so close before.

So while it's true that we were a little far away for NYC fireworks, the Newport fireworks were just fantastic, and a much more special experience. Just my $.02 !

Chris

Having just arrived home, I have no complaints with the QM2 or the choices made for the fireworks. As the captain stated, the Newport fireworks were an added bonus and how lovely we were able to do it with fantastic weather.

It certainly was not a negative in any way to the cruise.

I was aboard for last year's Independence Cruise on QM2 and thoroughly enjoyed spending the day in Newport. The fireworks were gorgeous and it was much prettier to be anchored in such a scenic port instead just returning to New York City and anchoring a few miles from the cruise ship terminal.

Did QM2 actually dock in Newport this year or were you anchored in the Harbor.

Cruiserking

The firworks were wonderful...but the cruise itself was not as expected. You can tell that an American cruise line has bought Cunard. I was on the QE2 a few years ago and all the grandeur of that cruise was completely missing on the QM2--multiple seatings, not having your same table all the time, and missing the personal touch. Not to mention the bathing suits in the restaurant...UGGH!

I do have to say, there were a different "class" of people on this cruise. Most of which will probably never set foot on another Cunard cruise. I think a great majority of the people who booked this cruise were curiosity seekers. I saw several people who looked like they should have been booked on Carnival.

Bathing suits in the restaurant? Whoa! Why weren't they kicked out? I would have said something if I had seen that.

All in all, I enjoyed the cruise very much. It was nice to visit the Qm2 again, and was astonished that the majority of the crew recognized me by name. Before I left, I booked next years Independence Day and Labor Day cruises.

I thought the fireworks at Newport, RI were spectacular. We were so close and it was even better than NY. As far as the cruise went, I was disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much. Embarkation was a disaster. I didn't like the class separation and I thought service at the Britannia was very bad. I'm sure if I had gone on a longer cruise my experience would be a different one. I had a deluxe balcony cabin and I thought it was way too small. This was the first time we had a normal cabin, usually we have a suite. I'm happy I had a taste of the QM2 but for the price we paid service should had been better and the whole overall experience a better one as well. I also think some of the passengers should had been on a Carnival cruise instead. Cunards' lovers, don't hate me. I was just too excited to be going on the Queen and I didn't get what I was looking for. Maybe one day I'll try her again on a longer cruise, now I'm making plans for my 50th birthday (in 2 years) on board of a Crystal ship. I like to try diferent lines. Signing off! Happy cruises to come ... ;)

Our group found the ship to be great, but were less than satisfied with the overall experience. Comapred to our previous experience, a crossing on the QE2, the following summarizes our thoughts from this trip.

--Kings Court a zoo. Trying to do lunch quickly, and because of our family's two young children (2 & 4). We ate their once, and that was enough, didn't go back and wouldn't on future trips

--Brittania food good but not great, service ok but not exceptional. Noise level quite high due to mega size of the room.

--Room nice (11 deck B3), balcony great, but bathroom smaller than our C3 on previous QE2 trip. Stewards had to be reminded 2-3 times to empty garbage from bathrooms (diapers full) as they missed it during room service.

--General feel of lack of less than desireable passenger care/service

--One other comment on fireworks; great patriotic (My Country Tis of Thee, Star Spangled Banner, Battle Hymn of the Republic, etc.) music played over ships speakers for Newport fireworks. But in New York, they played rock & rolll songs with state names and others...California Dreamin, Sweet Home Alabama, American Woman, etc...not that there's anything wrong with R&R, after all, I was born in 1958, but the music was just not classy or inspiring for an event meant to celebrte the birth of our nation. How were they so "on" with the music one night, and then missed it so badly the following night?

So, the big question is, was the difference due to the nature of this particular cruise (weekend "party cruise", a-typical Cunard clientele) or is the "good part" of the good old days past...

Mark

Mark - having sailed on the QM2 before, I'm sure the negatives were caused by the "party cruise" atmosphere they tried to give this sailing. This journey was nothing like my previous ones. Would it stop me from sailing QM2 again? No. Like I said before, I think the majority of the people and the unusual number of kids belonged on Carnival not on Cunard. We still had a great time, our butler and steward were very attentive and the Queens Grill staff was excellent. There were some very rude, crass and belligerant "customers" in the QG, and the staff handled them perfectly, I on the other hand wouldn't have been as nice.

Take a transatlantic or a longer Canada/New England cruise and you will find the experience much more refined.

We sailed out of New York Harbor on 9/11/2004 on the Regal Princess so it seems that the harbor would also be open on the 4th of July. Coincidently, I had just yesterday called our TA to book the July 2006 cruise so we could watch the fireworks in Boston from the cruise ship. (We watched the spectacular on TV and were so impressed!) We are not familiar with the intinerary for July 2005. Where did the cruise originate? When you say you were re-routed to Newport, where was the ship originally scheduled to dock? Do you mind posting the 2005 July itinerary? Do you think that Cunard will stick to the itinerary for 2006 leaving NYC on July 3rd for the fireworks in Boston on July 4th? We don't mind Newport either but since friends are meeting us, we do want to tell them in advance where we'll likely end up. Thanks SO much for posting the info on this as this trip will represent a chunk of our 2006 cruise budget. (And, is this the only cruise line going into one of the harbors on the East Coast for a fireworks display?)

The past 2 “4th of July” cruises were to leave NYC sail in the Atlantic and return and anchor in NY harbor to see the fireworks in front of the Statue of Liberty. I was on the 2004 cruise, not the 2005. Here in RI for one week or more prior to our 2004 departure it was all over the news that the QM2 was coming to Newport and Cunard had made a contribution to the city of Newport so they could upgrade the fireworks. IMHO Cunard KNOWINGLY advertised this anchoring for the fireworks knowing full well that QM2 would not be allowed in the harbor.

All I know for the 2006 cruise is this 4th of July we will be in Boston here is the schedule.

Monday, July 3, 2006 New York, New York -- 05:30 PM

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 Boston, Massachusetts 12:00 PM 11:00 PM

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 Bar Harbor, Maine 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Thursday, July 6, 2006 Halifax, Nova Scotia 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Friday, July 7, 2006 Cruising the Atlantic Ocean -- --

Saturday, July 8, 2006 New York, New York 06:30 AM –

Cunard is still working on the details with the city of Boston as to if we will be seeing the fireworks from land or the ship. My guess is on land.

For this year, we were supposed to be at sea except for the 4th of July when we would be in NYC. They they announced that we would be making a stop in Newport to see their fireworks. The QM2 was "right there" in the midst of the fireworks. Right up close, so it was great. For the 4th of July in NYC, we were parked just past the Verazino bridge. The fireworks were very far away, but yet nice. The Newport trip was well received by all - I didn't hear any complaints about it. I did hear complaints about the NYC fireworks because we were so far away from the action, but I'm assuming that was because of security.

Paul,

I am sure that this was a different crowd than what normally cruises the QM2 for transatlantic crossings, but I resent the 'zoo-ish' comment.

This was my first cruise and we had fun, everyone was there to have a good time and experience the QM2. I might not ever have the opportunity to take a transatlantic cruise, but was able to do this one and enjoyed every minute of it.

Everyone had a good time at the Newport fireworks (or so I am told as I was dining), but I can tell you that although the NYC fireworks were seen from a distance a good time was had by all.

No one that I saw was out of control or inappropriate.

Kathy

Malinda, thanks so much for clearing up the situation with the Cunard July 4th sailing. I was really reluctant to book the 2006 as I misunderstood the New York Harbor situation. Now I at least have a handle on what has gone on in the past, and I appreciate your addressing my questions.

My fiance and I booked on this cruise in 2006. This will be my third time on the QM2 but his first on any cruise ship. I don't want him to get the wrong impression of the passengers or the vibe on the ship based on this cruise though.

Did you feel that this was more of a booze cruise? Were passengers keeping with the dress code after 6pm in the public areas?

Kath0366, I understand from your post that you had a good time but could you be a little more specific about what made it so good and what you maybe didn't like - if you have the time.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide. I hope he will enjoy the ship as much as I have.

Atticus, my old college roommate and I will be on the July 2006 Independence Day cruise as well. As always, we'll be adhering to the dress code and behavior standards suitable for a Queen.

I think the problem you hear about is from the initial 2004 short July 4th cruise out of NYC. It encouraged a large amount of "cruise to nowhere" mentality people. Also, passengers had expectations about the itinerary and seeing the fireworks at the Statue of Liberty that Cunard did not meet causing a lot of very unhappy vocal people.

We have a nice itinerary for 2006, fireworks in Boston and are skirting the NYC problem altogether.

We took a 9 day Caribbean cruise on the QM2 out of NYC May 2004, and the dress codes were followed and the passengers all well-behaved.

We will look for you next July!

The information on this board is invaluable so thank you to everybody! We've decided to book the July 3, 2006, sailing out of NYC so that we can experience the fireworks in Boston. We'll book a balcony but would appreciate tips on selection. The B1 to B4 balconies say "in hull" - what does that mean? Does anyone know how the ship will dock in Boston Harbor? Port or starboard room? Will we be able to watch the fireworks from the ship? Does anyone know if a shore excursion for the firework display will also be offered? We appreciate all of the comments - both positive and negative as it gives us a more balanced feel of what to expect.

Having been on both the 2004 4th of July 5 day cruise and a 2006 Transatlantic I can tell you from MY experience both cruises were very different.

Here is my list.

Transatlantic – mixed nationalities 20 countries were represented

4th of July - most passengers seemed to be from NY, NJ and CT

Transatlantic – very relaxed non rushed crowd

4th of July – crowd was anxious to be the first at every activity and to ensure that they were booked for spa, Todd English and Chefs Galley experiences - reservations were hard if not impossible to come by unless you booked as soon as you boarded the ship.

Transatlantic – not too many smokers

4th of July – more smokers - and smoking every where including the hallways and in front of the elevators. (this did surprised me I thought the transatlantic with the European influence would have more smokers!)

Transatlantic – Tea time refined, slow paced, tranquil

4th of July – NOISY, impossible to get a seat. As I travel with a 14 year old most times during the day I’m alone so if a see an empty chair I asked to join – I was refused twice!

I never did see anyone obliviously drunk – nor did I see it as a party boat. I do know I spoke with several crew members and they were dreading the 4th of July cruise due to last years demanding passengers.

So I’m not saying one is better than the other…I’m just saying that they were different. I'm booked of the 2006 4th of July and expect to book a east bound Transatlantic for 2007.

Mallinda

Malinda

This was my second time on the QM2, the other time being a transatlantic crossing and one thing I noticed was that a lot of people didn't seem dressed properly for a Cunard Queen trip, many in T-shirts and denim shorts. I saw some t-shirts at dinner. Even on the formal night, many did NOT wear a tuxedo or even dark suit. My wife and I enjoy getting dressed up on the formal nights on QM2/QE2. Her in a nice gown and me in my tux. I'm usually in a tie/jacket after 6pm on informal nights. Most people just had on polo shirts on the informal nights. I'm not the fashion police and I don't let them ruin my vacation. Just funny to see. They were NOT enforcing the dress codes from what I could tell based on some people dining in the Brittania.

I saw a lot of younger people, teenagers etc. On the formal night about 9pm one of the elevators we got into, this one particluar teenager with a t-shirt, shorts and baseball hat on was sitting on the floor taking up most of the space of the elevator, thus making it difficult for my wife and I to get in. I nicely/politely like a gentleman asked her to please give us some room and I was cursed at. I couldn't believe it, esp on the QM2. I politely refrained from saying anything back. They were just sitting there riding it, no floors chosen When we got out I held the door open and grabbed the steward who was near the elevator, who asked her to step out and had a chat with her. I think he was contacting her parents on the ship.

The passengers seem more upscale, better manners/dress on the transatlantic. Otherwise a great time.

The only other complaint is that my wife and I don't drink liquor, we usually have soda, it took the waiter nearly 30 min at dinner to bring the soda. We usually just opted for the water.

I would book a tranatlantic or longer Canada/Bahamas cruise instead of this Sampler cruise next time. As someone else already mentioned previously I think a lot of these people, not all, are best suited for a Carnival cruise.

Overall we still enjoyed ourselves and made the best out of it.

Archived