What do you do with your pets when you cruise.

Cruise Arizona

I need advice from all of you. We have 2 kittens, now 4 months old, and we are planning some rather long trips (no, I don't want to cancel!) over the next few months. The kittens have their food and litter box in the garage and sleep there also. They are very happy. Of course, they're in the house when we're around. My daughter has volunteered to take them into her house while we're gone, but I'm not sure about this because she has 3 cats and a dog and I don't want my kitties traumatized. As I say, they are very happy and loving and I'm nervous about exposing them to a strange environment with more animals. My other option is a neighbor's daughter who cat sits, but she's a teenager and in school all day long. They'd be alone for most of the day. Please give me some good advice. Thanks!

Esther

Look around your neighborhood ( look for a girl 10-12 yrs old), they love baby animals, ask them to help, have them come over a few times before you leave so you can watch girl and pets together, teach her what it takes to give them good care, pay her well , when you go on vacation and she comes to check on them, tell her to stay for a while, watch a DVD have a snack and cuddle pets make sure everything is well supplied then go home. Girls that age like to have time away from their family

Hope this helps

Plumeria

Our dogs have only once been in "Puppy Prison" and despite the fact that lots of our friends raved about it it was a disaster.For the last 6 years we have used a series of female college students,who have all been mature beyond their years,and all have been extremely responsible.We usually start them when they are juniors so we have at least 2 years with each of them.The first one was recommended by a doberman breeder,and we have asked each one as they have graduated to recommend a replacement.They sleep at our house each night and like our dog have the run of the place,including having friends come in to use the pool,spa,etc. We pay them the same rate that the boarding facility here charges ($35 per day).They can come and go during the day as long as they walk the dog for 2 miles in the AM and play ball with him in the PM.We have an elaborate set of instructions,contacts and weekly schedules for them to follow,and knock wood,we have never had a single problem. It's proven to be a win/win for all concerned,and has enabled us to take many cruise the last 3 years.

We have college girls who stay with our dogs. I always choose 1 girl and let her stay herself and keep the money or split with a friend. Establish rules--no more than 4 people in the house and only ones their parents approve; how often the dogs must be let out,etc. If not on a cruise they call in every couple days. We used to live in St; Louis and used about 6-8 girls from church. The worst problem was one who was a slob--foodwrappers, dirty dishes EVERYWHERE, but the dogs were happy and houses can be cleaned. We had so many that wanted to stay at our house that we never had a problem getting someone and felt they were pleased with $20.00 a day. We also stocked the fridge with pizza, ice cream, Oreos, Coke, and Pizza Hut or Blockbuster gift cards. We will be breaking in a new housesitter next week (We moved to Tennessee). I have known her a few months and feel confident all will go well. I also give a key to their parent in case they lose theirs.

When we had 2 cats, our vet said they were fine being checked on every 2-3 days. Fill extra water bowls--the water feeders can get full of hair, but the food feeders are great. The cats don't eat as much when you are gone. I also kept two litter boxes full when we were gone.

Archived