Southampton Disembarkation Question

digtexas

We are booked on a London to London British Isles cruise on Marina 7/23/14. We are comfortable with our 2:30 PM flight home from LHR, but our friends have a choice of a 12:00 noon flight or a 2:30 PM flight. Although the ship is set do dock at 6:00 AM, we are not sure when we actually are able to disembark.

Can our friends comfortably make it to Heathrow by 10 AM or should they choose the later flight?

Thanks.

We are booked on a London to London British Isles cruise on Marina 7/23/14. We are comfortable with our 2:30 PM flight home from LHR, but our friends have a choice of a 12:00 noon flight or a 2:30 PM flight. Although the ship is set do dock at 6:00 AM, we are not sure when we actually are able to disembark.

Can our friends comfortably make it to Heathrow by 10 AM or should they choose the later flight?

Thanks.

The 10AM flight is NOT doable :eek:

Noon flight. I was referring to arriving at LHR 2 hours early.

Even with a noon flight they are taking a big chance as NOBODY GOES ANYWHERE until the ship clears Customs and Immigration.

I don't know what your friends luck is like, but if Stan and I have an early return flight on disembarkation day, we always wake up to those dreaded announcements asking that "Mr. & Mrs. (insert unpronounceable name) report to the Pursers office..."

The advantage of getting home 2 hours more quickly just isn't worth the angst.

It IS doable, provided they have a private car organised, the ship has been cleared, and are on the road by 0815.

It will be during the school holidays and peak hour traffic will be quieter than normal, and the busy sections of the M3 & M25 motorways, nearer London, will be quieter by the time they are reached (0900-0930). The distance is approximately 70 miles, and around 65 miles of that route is on fast roads with a 70mph limit.

I would personally err on the side of caution though, and go for the 1430 flight :)

On Tuesday Nautica had docked by 6am and cleared by 7am. Everyone HAD to be disembarked by 9am. Having said that though, there could any number of reasons why the ship might be delayed berthing - weather is the most likely.

Not sure if this helps.

I usually like to be off as soon as possible, and at Southampton that's usually just after 8am, depending on the ship, the Motorway is fast and I'm usually at home in south west London, before 9:30am, that's with a private car.

Gaining clearance is not an issue at Southampton, especially on a "Round-Britain" trip.

The only problem could be if there are several larger ships arriving at the same time, the roads round the Docks can become very busy.

However, as with everything in life, nothing is certain and if I had to catch a flight at LHR, I would always factor in sufficient time and would choose an afternoon departure.

Life's short enough without needing additional stress!:)

Archived