Should we consider an independent tour operator in RIO?

lawrencealanbrown

IMO there is no need for any tour, private or cruise, to see those two sights. Just grab a taxi. However, if you'd like to cram more into a day, a private tour guide with a vehicle can facilitate that, and take you to some off-the-beaten-path locations as well. If you would like a recommendation, I'd be happy to make one.

I would recommend the humorous and knowledgable Rafa (Rafael Torres Lopes) who helped me plan a trip in the north of Brazil a long time ago and (disclaimer) has since become a friend, as he has to many of his former clients.

donrafainrio@globo.com

(his blog) http://donrafaguestsinrio.blogspot.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d1807084-Reviews-Rafael_Torres_Lopes_Tour_Guide-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

Yes, I would use a local tour operator if you want to see not just those two sites but also other sites in Rio. With a good tour guide you can get a lot out of your time in Rio and see quite a bit and learn a lot about the city and the people of Brazil.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I'd first decide what you want to see (maybe buy and download the chapter on Rio from the Lonely Planet guidebook at www.lonelyplanet.com, or buy one of many guides at a bookstore), then compare it with what organized tours you can find. Just saying a tour of Rio is too general. You can get a lot of the history in advance by reading. You can, as noted, get to many of the most popular fights, such as Pao de Açucar, Copacabana/Ipanema and Corcovado, on your own by taxi (and even a bit of Metro). Maybe you'd want to go someplace, such as the Ilha Fiscal museum or the small Carmen Miranda Museum in Flamengo Park that a group tour might not go to, so you do it on your own or hire a guide.

When I first moved to Rio for a job several years ago, I took a Grayline-like group tour and enjoyed it. It could be a compromise, in terms of cost and convenience, between doing it on your own and having your own guide and driver.

You seem to think you'll get off the ship very quickly. From the port area, you'll want to take a taxi, IMHO. Not the best area to be walking around in, though some say they walk to the Centro to catch the Metro. If you take taxis, find out how to spell your objective sights in Portuguese to show the driver, and, of course, have Brazilian currency.

Edited by Fattony

I was informed that the lines to Corcovado will be quite long if you arrive later in the morning (say 9/9:30 am).

Apparently cruise ship tours (or perhaps even non-cruise-ship tours as well?) can purchased tickets in advance and lines can be skipped. Therefore may get stuck behind a rather substantial line...not sure how accurate this is though...

I was informed that the lines to Corcovado will be quite long if you arrive later in the morning (say 9/9:30 am).

The length of the line often depends on the time of year; high season with more tourists means longer lines. However, I have gone up on the train and waited only a few minutes for it to arrive.

The length of the line often depends on the time of year; high season with more tourists means longer lines. However, I have gone up on the train and waited only a few minutes for it to arrive.

Thanks VidaNaPraia for the info...that is good to know... ;)

When is high season? We will be in Rio Dec 7th-8th...

I know it is impossible to predict but how bad would the lines be if we get to the base of Corcovado at 9:30 am?

Thanks VidaNaPraia for the info...that is good to know... ;)

When is high season? We will be in Rio Dec 7th-8th...

I know it is impossible to predict but how bad would the lines be if we get to the base of Corcovado at 9:30 am?

Did a bit more research and realized that the lines were for the train ride up...

So we could potentially take a cab to almost the top and then board the official shuttle bus up to the statue (for R$13 or so).

Did a bit more research and realized that the lines were for the train ride up...

So we could potentially take a cab to almost the top and then board the official shuttle bus up to the statue (for R$13 or so).

You might do a bit more research. For one thing, the "R$13 or so" is just for the van which you can't buy separate from the entry fee iirc.

Also, each train holds about 350 passengers. Each van holds about 10.

Afaik you can buy timed train tickets--online these days.

I would characterize the time before and during Carnaval, and maybe at NYE, as times when you're hearing those reports of lines being longest.

You might do a bit more research. For one thing, the "R$13 or so" is just for the van which you can't buy separate from the entry fee iirc.

Also, each train holds about 350 passengers. Each van holds about 10.

Afaik you can buy timed train tickets--online these days.

I would characterize the time before and during Carnaval, and maybe at NYE, as times when you're hearing those reports of lines being longest.

Yea...haven't found more info about entry fees...only saw the website for the train. Will definitely need to explore the online ticket purchase option...

• 2 months later...
I would recommend the humorous and knowledgable Rafa (Rafael Torres Lopes) who helped me plan a trip in the north of Brazil a long time ago and (disclaimer) has since become a friend, as he has to many of his former clients.

donrafainrio@globo.com

(his blog) http://donrafaguestsinrio.blogspot.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d1807084-Reviews-Rafael_Torres_Lopes_Tour_Guide-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

I wrote Rafa and he is already booked but he suggested one of his cohorts, Sonia. Does anyone have any experience with her?