Stingrays??

dogchopper

My husband and I are going to be in Cozumel on oct 4 (freedom of the seas) and we are torn between a string ray excursion there or doing it while we are in the cayman island ? We did it on the caymans last year and it was awesome, but we want to also see the turtle farm there.. So, do both in the caymans or do stingrays in Cozumel ??

Anyone have a preference?. Is one place better??

Grand Cayman is amazing, because the Rays are wild....

Most other places they are penned up.

Not the same experience.

Done the Sting Ray City excursion 4 times now and it never gets old...

PS, you do understand that the majority of the turtles you see at the turtle farm will be eaten? (don't know how many times I've seen people complain after they went to the turtle FARM, that they didn't know it was to raise them to eat. )

Here is a link to the Stingray beach in Cozumel.

http://www.stingraybeach.com/

Not the same experience.

PS, you do understand that the majority of the turtles you see at the turtle farm will be eaten? (don't know how many times I've seen people complain after they went to the turtle FARM, that they didn't know it was to raise them to eat. )

No!! I didn't know they will be eaten!! How sad! I thought it was a rescue type thing ..

I was curious about the stingrays in Cozumel. I was afraid it wasn't the same as the cayman one. We really enjoyed them! I think I will stick with Cozumel. And think twice about the turtles!!

No!! I didn't know they will be eaten!! How sad! I thought it was a rescue type thing ..

I was curious about the stingrays in Cozumel. I was afraid it wasn't the same as the cayman one. We really enjoyed them! I think I will stick with Cozumel. And think twice about the turtles!!

That is why I mentioned the FARM part.

I always read about people who had no idea until they get there.

The Turtle Farm isn't a bad place though.

As they raise the turtles there, so the locals don't have to hunt the wild turtles for their food anymore. (I am sure some native Caymanians find our cow, pig or chicken farms to be cruel)

Plus they do release a percentage of the turtles raised, back into the wild, to bolster the wild turtle's numbers.

Bill

Not the same experience.

We were surprised at the purpose of this site too, and sad. We also thought it was a rescue center:(

Sea Ya

That is why I mentioned the FARM part.

I always read about people who had no idea until they get there.

The Turtle Farm isn't a bad place though.

As they raise the turtles there, so the locals don't have to hunt the wild turtles for their food anymore. (I am sure some native Caymanians find our cow, pig or chicken farms to be cruel)

Plus they do release a percentage of the turtles raised, back into the wild, to bolster the wild turtle's numbers.

Bill

Good point about the cow and chicken farms here.

We did captain Marvin's stingray excursion and it was awesome. We will probably use them again since I think we are gonna stick with the cayman island for it. I think wild stingrays seems more exciting ...

Archived