Boat ride to Chateau d'If

sunset001

Did anybody take a boat ride to Chateau d'If from the Marseille Old Port ? How was a walk to Chateau - is it really steeply ? is there any elevator/lift ?

how ling it took to go around ? Just want to plan such tour on our own while staying in Marseille on October 4, so timing is very important...

Did anybody take a boat ride to Chateau d'If from the Marseille Old Port ? How was a walk to Chateau - is it really steeply ? is there any elevator/lift ?

how ling it took to go around ? Just want to plan such tour on our own while staying in Marseille on October 4, so timing is very important...

We took the boat over there about 15 years ago and the experience was OK if you like very old buildings :). I do not recall any kind of elevator/lift. Like I said, its an old place and has old steps. Getting to the Chateau from the pier was not a major problem....but climbing around inside the Chateau might be a challenge for those with mobility issues. Not sure if they have made the place more "handicapped friendly" since our visit so you might want to ask in Marseille. But with fewer then 100,000 visitors a year its hard to imagine they have put any money into the place.

Hank

Thanks a lot for your reply ! I hope, they have, at least, some things to see without really climbing...:)

As I recall there is really nothing much on the island other then the Chateau which is kind of like a very small castle. They did have some displays inside (nothing great) but like most castle-like buildings most folks want to climb up the steps to get to the top where you can walk around and get a decent view. Not sure why you want to stay in Marseille, but its normally not what I recommend for a port day. Our general recommendation for a first time visit would be to go to Aix en Provence (easy to do on a tour or on your own) or take a tour that goes to some other interesting places in Provence. However, if you have problems with walking on slopes do not go to Les Baux since the entire town is on a slope.

Hank

Thanks for your information ! In general, Marseille has its own charm (as all of other south France cities)- Vieux Port, Cathedral, Maisons, etc.... Aux De Provence not much greater than Marseille - just much smaller and less industrial. Reason to see Chateau d'If for us is to continue with the sightseeing's related to Alexandr Dumas books (like, Iron Mask cell in Cannés Iles that we saw on last year)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who has not been to Marseille in the last 12-18 months doesn't really know the city as it is today. It has changed beyond recognition as a result of the European Capital of Culture programme, which has resulted in a rash of starchitect-designed new museums and buildings and a total revamp of the Old Port area. I would say that it is a must-see, this year of all years. More information about it: http://www.marseille-provence.info/marseille-marseilles.html

Re the Chateau d'If - I would say that it is not accessible for anyone with restricted mobility. When you get off the boat shuttle, there is a short climb up to the main entrance and, once inside, plenty of stairs (including a spiral staircase) with, as I recall, no provision for wheelchairs. It's a romantic spot, and the boat ride is great, but the exhibits inside are pretty disappointing. To my mind, if you only have a few hours in Marseille, it's not the best way to spend them.

Archived