Self-drive island tour, need help w beaches

Can't Wait 2013

Thanks! I just was able to find the KLM landing time. I know that flights can be early so I figure we had better get over there around 10:00. Our ship is scheduled to arrive at 9 so it shouldn't be a problem. We were there this past May for the Airbus arrival and that was fun. Really looking forward to seeing the 747 arrive, though.:)

That would more than make up for shops being closed in my mind.

DH's to I would guess! :D

Edited by Karysa

We did the counter-clockwise drive a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. We didn't plan it out as much as it looks like you are doing, but we were fortunate to turn down the road with the 'beach' sign and stumble on Friar's Bay beach which is on the west side of the island before you get to Marigot... beautiful EMPTY beach.. might have been 6 other people there around 11 am.

I grew up in the landing path of Chicago Ohare airport. I am surprised the so many people find maho an attraction!

Were those arriving flights low enough that they would have clipped the 'TV Antenna' on your roof? If not, you haven't experienced what Maho offers.

gary

Edited by gtaylor
Mispelying

I grew up in the landing path of Chicago Ohare airport. I am surprised the so many people find maho an attraction!

I have met pilots that told me that PJ Airport is their favourite place to land. Don't knock it until you try it!:)

So true.....:D

Usually I could care less about things that involve engines & make a lot of noise. But I have to admit, that was a pretty fun day last May.:cool:

Haha and I was only 1/2 talking about Maho. The other 1/2 was about less shopping!:D

As karysa says, that's pretty ambitious.

Let's whittle it down a bit to begin.

First, get off the ship and rolling as quickly as possible.

No reason to go to Guana Bay to see St. Barths - that would be a real time killer and there is at least as good a view from Dawn Beach, which you mention, but I'm not sure that you can afford to spend an hour there to swim and snorkel.

th_DSCF0347.jpg

(click) St. Barths from Dawn Beach

Continue from Dawn along the coast and drive into le Galion to see the near perfect lazy Caribbean Beach.

th_DSCN6229.jpg

Then hop over to Orient, just a few minutes away.

th_DSCN5795.jpg

No clue how you found Petites Cayes, as the directions I recall to get there say drive past the French Side dump, park at the chain gate and walk for 30 or 40 minutes. We've only seen it from the water.

The drive, then walk, all the way into Anse Marcel beach is another time killer, but the view from the road cresting the (steep) hill is pretty nice.

th_DSCN2946.jpg

Lunch in Grand Case: we still prefer Germain's.

th_DSCN5338.jpg

I'd skip Friar's and the hike over to Happy Bay, and you could see Anguilla from Grand Case, or Much Better, from your next (MUST) stop at Fort Louis.

th_DSCN4263.jpg

I'm at the max for including photos in this post, so there will be a part two.

gary

Great points - there really is little chance of seeing anything recognizable of St.Barth's or Anguilla from beaches - just bumps on the horizon. Guana Bay would be a waste of time. Dawn Beach is great if not too rough - there are two fancy restaurants (as good as anything at Grand Case - which really has no decent beach) and two laid-back beach eateries: Mr. Busby's, which includes a pizza place, and BeauBeaus on the Oyster Bay property but open to public - making Dawn a good spot for lunch as well as a swim. If Dawn is too rough, head up to Le Galion, which is always calm. Orient Beach is a mob scene - only worth stopping at if you hope to see some topless (and possibly bottomless) beach-goers - most of whom look better if more clothed.

Friars Bay is a long drive down a bad road to a second rate beach which always seem to smell of sewage - not worth it. Baie Rouge can be great, but depending on recent storm activity can by pretty rocky.

Overall, a good day would be to first stop at Maho if you really need to see planes land, then continue up to Marigot (for a snack) which is worth the trip, then end up on the east side at either Le Galion or Dawn for a swim, with a late lunch at Dawn, then an easy drive back to the cruise terminal/car drop off because you won't have to deal with Simpsons Bay or Phillipsburg traffic which can be awful in the afternoon.