Tipping the Taxi Driver

Vanta

It's very much up to you - the tipping culture in the UK is very different to the US. Minimum wages legislation means wages will provide the driver's bread-&-butter, tips are the jam on top.

For a transfer driver I'd suggest about £5 - £10, or $10 to $20 (the driver will be used to getting tips in any mainstream currency). That's for the car, not per person. More if he's gone the extra mile & you want to reciprocate, zilch if he's been surly or unhelpful.

Plenty of Brits & Aussies don't tip - they take the attitude that nobody tips them when they're working in a factory or office. That's the way it is - it's not personal, & not a reflection on the quality of the service.

How good are you at putting on an Australian accent, me old mucker? :D

JB :)

"How good are you at putting on an Australian accent, me old mucker?"

John Bull, you old Rooster (so full of it). I love you because you always crack me up.

On my first trip to OZ, I actually had a cab driver from the airport to my B&B ask me for a tip before he would take my 2 large pieces of luggage out of the back. Then he did a crap job of even putting them onto the sidewalk - didn't think of putting them inside the door. What an Alpha-Hotel. :eek:

I am a Yank! Of course, I tip. Not a nice welcome to Aussie-Land. I can do a damn good southern drawl but don't think I could pass for an Aussie.

Donna :cool:

"How good are you at putting on an Australian accent, me old mucker?"

John Bull, you old Rooster (so full of it). I love you because you always crack me up.

On my first trip to OZ, I actually had a cab driver from the airport to my B&B ask me for a tip before he would take my 2 large pieces of luggage out of the back. Then he did a crap job of even putting them onto the sidewalk - didn't think of putting them inside the door. What an Alpha-Hotel. :eek:

I am a Yank! Of course, I tip. Not a nice welcome to Aussie-Land. I can do a damn good southern drawl but don't think I could pass for an Aussie.

Donna :cool:

Hi Donna,

I think I'd have said to him "don't bother, cobber - I'll go down the line & find a proper taxi driver" ;)

JB :)

Archived