Navigating roads Villefranche to St. Paul

CruiserRev

Have read much useful information here (thanks, especially, to Hiltner). Really leaning towards renting a car in Villefranch, going to St. Paul, then perhaps looping back through Eze on the way back to port.

We don't own a GPS device....typically use our smartphones for that, but will have those disabled in favor of a basic cell phone for the length of our cruise.

I entered our route on Mapquest, and it's about 35 directions just from point A to point B....many of them .007 miles, etc. in terms of length, and sometimes with the same road changing names about 5 or 6 times in less than a mile.

So, my question is this....as someone with a pretty good sense of direction and ability to follow instructions, is it more simple than it looks? The law of averages tells me that the greater the # of turns, the higher the likelihood of a wrong turn on my part. Will there be plenty of signs saying to turn this way or that for the town itself, so it's just a matter of being aware, or am I "on my own"?

Is there any web resource that provides a more "tailored" approach to these drives? Just trying to avoid turning a great adventure to a great misadventure!

ARGH! I just looked at Google Maps and must admit that its not the route we would use. If you have a decent navigator in the right seat (I was ready to divorce my DW when she navigated) you should do fine with a map. You would basically just follow the signs to Nice and then you can stay along the coast until you pass the airport at which time you do need a map and perhaps directions. You will be turning inland a little past the airport at Cagnes sur Mer and there are signs (if you see them). My problem with the Google Map directions is that they have you using the A8 for a few miles...and that is a toll road and not worth the trouble for the short distance. Once you pass the airport we would probably cut over to the Ave de Nice and then you need to watch for the small signs (and have a map).

If you can spare a few extra dollars you might consider renting a GPS from the rental car dealer (ask them to set it for English). But once you are on the road out to St Paul de Vence (Rte de Sorres/D9) you just follow the signs. And you will see St Paul de Vence up on the hill a few miles before you get to the place.

Hank

Hank,

Thanks so much. On another note, we're going to be there November 14. With it being off season, will this affect our ease/ability to get a car in Villefranche? Are we going to have to go into Nice to get one? Do you reserve in advance, or do it on the fly.....and who have you found to be most reliable?

Thanks!

Rich

Hank,

Thanks so much. On another note, we're going to be there November 14. With it being off season, will this affect our ease/ability to get a car in Villefranche? Are we going to have to go into Nice to get one? Do you reserve in advance, or do it on the fly.....and who have you found to be most reliable?

Thanks!

Rich

Have no clue since we have never been there that late in the year. You are going to have to do a little homework and contact some of the rental car companies. You might want to start with a regional company that will often rent cars right at the port:http://www.locauto.fr/index_uk.htm

Please post any info you discover as this will be helpful to others.

Hank

We have been there that late (lived there for 2 years) and the traffic will be a lot easier than in high summer. Many of the turns you see in your MapQuest directions after .007 miles mean that you are on the main road and going from one roundabout to the next.

For going from Villefranche to Nice keep looking for the "Nice Bord de Mer" (Nice seaside road) signs. Once in Cagnes-sur-Mer it gets a little more complicated, but follow the Vence signs. On the way back, look for those "Nice Bord de Mer" signs again when you get to Cagnes-sur-Mer.

To get to Eze, once you get the port in Nice, start looking for the "Moyenne Corniche" signs. That will get you there. The "Basse Corniche" sign will keep you down on the seashore and straight to Villefranche.

Thanks for that detail. We are for sure going to do this if the logistics of actually getting a car are not too difficult.

We have upgraded to a suite guarantee, which means we will have priority tender tickets...which should be a good thing if we can't get a car in Villefranche and have to head into Nice.

Assuming we can not get a car in port, what are the logistics/timing of getting to Nice for car rental. Take a cab? Bus or train?

Archived