What makes DCL worth more money than other lines?

Susiecruisey

There is many reasons to chose DCL without kids' date=' but your entitled to you opinion.

The classic liner style of the DCL put the *LAS VEGAS* neon floating buses of other lines to shame.

The *Disney Magic* and *pixie dust* makes it all so special and fun. Believe me when I say its not just for the kids. The adult only areas, entertainment, clubs are plenty for us, especially on the Dream class vessels.

The service is tops and there is something just special about DCL CM's.

We'll take DCL anytime we can, over other allegedly *adult lines *.:)

AKK[/quote']

Agree.

HO yes' date=' I forgot............don't forget the free soda! :rolleyes:

AKK[/quote']

Ohhhhhh and the Gas!!! :eek::D:rolleyes:

One more thing...

with the other lines, it always seems like the service is over on the last day, they are busy cleaning/preping for the next guests.

We didn't experience that with Disney. The service was just as good the moment we step on till the moment we stepped off.

It was great not feeling let down or rushed or like 'time's up'.

One more thing...

with the other lines, it always seems like the service is over on the last day, they are busy cleaning/preping for the next guests.

We didn't experience that with Disney. The service was just as good the moment we step on till the moment we stepped off.

It was great not feeling let down or rushed or like 'time's up'.

We didn't find any difference between DCL and Princess in that regard. The service level was the same level throughout the whole cruise. On DCL we did get those cute little character tags for our luggage, rather than generic colored tags. :) The last night on both was pretty much the same, with the instructions on getting your luggage out in the hall by a certain time so it could be off-loaded in the morning :(

The magic is pretty much gone when you go to bed on the night before disembarking. Breakfast the last day, whether at the buffet or in the dining room, is pretty much a downer!

Carnival Corp. mission statement:

"Our mission is to deliver exceptional vacation experiences through the world's best-known cruise brands that cater to a variety of different lifestyles and budgets, all at an outstanding value unrivaled on land or at sea."

Royal Caribbean's mission statement:

Our vision is to empower and enable our employees to deliver the best vacation experience to our guests,thereby generating superior returns to our stakeholders and enhancing the wellbeing of our Communities.

Disney's public mission statement:

"To make people happy"

Your call.

Carnival Corp. mission statement:

"Our mission is to deliver exceptional vacation experiences through the world's best-known cruise brands that cater to a variety of different lifestyles and budgets, all at an outstanding value unrivaled on land or at sea."

Royal Caribbean's mission statement:

Our vision is to empower and enable our employees to deliver the best vacation experience to our guests,thereby generating superior returns to our stakeholders and enhancing the wellbeing of our Communities.

Disney's public mission statement:

"To make people happy"

Your call.

Host Mick,

Whilst I admire the public mission statement you have shown, as an Ex CM, I kind of disagree to a point.

The golden rules should be:

Safety

Show

Courtesy

Efficiency

However they are sometimes:

Show (make it happen regardless, I don't care, get it done, make it work)

Safety (only really happens once the brown stuff has already hit the fan because of the above)

Courtesy (if there is time)

Efficiency (speak to HR, I'm busy)

Like when Project onboard is regularly broken to meet the needs of incompetent shoreside CM's, but is advertised to CM's as an unbroken rule. And to the ILO.

Also the Investor Relations statement does give a twist to the "To make people happy" statement.

The Walt Disney Company's objective is to be one of the world's leading producers and providers of entertainment and information, using its portfolio of brands to differentiate its content, services and consumer products. The company's primary financial goals are to maximize earnings and cash flow, and to allocate capital toward growth initiatives that will drive long-term shareholder value.

Unfortunately, it is mostly about money now and not just about making people experience magic anymore.

The "magic" has a cost and that cost has to be explained.

That is not to say magical things do not happen, and all of the magic is lost.

Just that EVERYTHING is under the scrutiny of the bean counters, rather than the Imagineers.

The shareholders want a pound of flesh for every dollar they invest, rather than a few ounces.

ex techie

Host Mick,

Whilst I admire the public mission statement you have shown, as an Ex CM, I kind of disagree to a point.

Safety

Show

Courtesy

Efficiency

Safety (only really happens once the brown stuff has already hit the fan because of the above)

Like when Project onboard is regularly broken to meet the needs of incompetent shoreside CM's, but is advertised to CM's as an unbroken rule. And to the ILO.

Also the Investor Relations statement does give a twist to the "To make people happy" statement.

Unfortunately, it is mostly about money now and not just about making people experience magic anymore.

Just that EVERYTHING is under the scrutiny of the bean counters, rather than the Imagineers.

The shareholders want a pound of flesh for every dollar they invest, rather than a few ounces.

ex techie

No surprise. Every business everywhere is in the business solely to make money for the shareholders (owners) otherwise it's called a hobby.

Disney makes money by making people happy.

I'll bet that you're glad that you don't work for them any more.

Host Mick,

Safety

Show

Courtesy

Efficiency

ex techie

Hey there Techie,

I disagree to a point!

Disney is not just any company, it was built on the *magic* and Walt's ideas to make people happy and provide a excellent product, whether is movies, animation or the parks, as quoted above.

By making those People happy, by providing those magical experiences, the *pixie Dust*, Disney is able to charge more and people are willing to pay more.

That is how.........

The company's primary financial goals are to maximize earnings and cash flow, and to allocate capital toward growth initiatives that will drive long-term shareholder value.

are able to be achieved.......

So the *Magic* and *Pixie Dust* serves both the *magic and the maximized earnings.

If people decide they are not getting the *magic*, Disney may as well just become a, cheap movie company, 6 flags park company or a UNI thrill park company or a Carnival Line, because people will not pay the extra anymore.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

......... If people decide they are not getting the *magic*' date=' Disney may as well just become a, cheap movie company, 6 flags park company or a UNI thrill park company or a Carnival Line, because people will not pay the extra anymore.[/color']

AKK

Absolutely right! My husband and I are a case in point. We went on a DCL Alaska cruise last month. Because of a less-than-magical experience with their on board booking of a future cruise, we are rethinking our loyalty to DCL.

That said, DCL does offer a quality product that makes cruising fun for the whole family. Their entertainment, especially, is outstanding. Our first Disney cruise, last November, was with our children and grandchildren, and we couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable experience. Our grandchildren, especially, were enchanted.

I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid DCL, but after our recent experience, unless we have our grandchildren with us, we'll be looking more to value in the future.

Absolutely right! My husband and I are a case in point. We went on a DCL Alaska cruise last month. Because of a less-than-magical experience with their on board booking of a future cruise, we are rethinking our loyalty to DCL.

That said, DCL does offer a quality product that makes cruising fun for the whole family. Their entertainment, especially, is outstanding. Our first Disney cruise, last November, was with our children and grandchildren, and we couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable experience. Our grandchildren, especially, were enchanted.

I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid DCL, but after our recent experience, unless we have our grandchildren with us, we'll be looking more to value in the future.

I am happy you agree folks, Disney cannot operate to just make money in the bottom line and Iger found that out the hard way. From what I am seeing, the reductions in park maintaince and other cut backs hurt the brand and he is waking up with the maintaince issue back to top of the list and new attractions coming down the road.

With Disney the BRAND is everything, they lose that and its all over.

Sorry you had a problem with dcl rebooking onboard. You may like to try RCCL or Celebrity, or even the American River Cruise line with their stern wheeler, the American Queen! Please stay away from Carnival, there is still to many safely issues with many of their vessels.

What ever you do, enjoy your cruises!:D

AKK

.....Sorry you had a problem with dcl rebooking onboard. You may like to try RCCL or Celebrity' date=' or even the American River Cruise line with their stern wheeler, the American Queen! Please stay away from Carnival, there is still to many safely issues with many of their vessels.

What ever you do, enjoy your cruises!:D

AKK[/quote']

Yes, it was unfortunate, as well as surprising. I was flabbergasted that DCL would make a mistake and then refuse to correct it, lol. We had a wonderful Alaska cruise, however. I don't fault anything that happened on the cruise itself. It was the inattention to detail of the future cruise desk that caused the problem, and that wasn't discovered until after we returned home and found out the future cruise we booked had been entered incorrectly. Customer Service was of no help. As a result, the cruise was canceled by Disney, along with the OBB discount and OBC offered. We decided to cancel a Disney cruise we had already booked for March 2014 to the Caribbean, and booked with Princess instead. We took a Princess AK cruise just before the Disney one, and got nothing but positive vibes from them. We'll give DCL another chance in September 2014 when we cruise the Panama Canal on the Wonder. We'll probably try the OBB again as well, to book a cruise we'll be taking with the family in 2015. Hopefully they'll do a better job of it. If not, it may be the end of DCL for us!

Customer service can make or break a company. In our case, the lack of it caused DCL to lose a booked cruise. No skin off their nose, I'm sure, but it made us feel better, lol.

I can forgive a mistake, but not the unwillingness of the company to correct it. That's just plain dumb on their part!

I'm willing to pay a premium if I think I'm getting a premium product. Disney's success is due to the premium product they've always delivered. They need to pay attention to the little things, or they're going to lose in the end. I haven't given up on them yet, but a little bit of the Pixie Dust has been taken away.

No surprise. Every business everywhere is in the business solely to make money for the shareholders (owners) otherwise it's called a hobby.

Disney makes money by making people happy.

I'll bet that you're glad that you don't work for them any more.

Miss the people, not the company ;)

ex techie

Hey there Techie' date='

I disagree to a point!

Disney is not just any company, it was built on the *magic* and Walt's ideas to make people happy and provide a excellent product, whether is movies, animation or the parks, as quoted above.

By making those People happy, by providing those magical experiences, the *pixie Dust*, Disney is able to charge more and people are willing to pay more.

That is how.........

The company's primary financial goals are to maximize earnings and cash flow, and to allocate capital toward growth initiatives that will drive long-term shareholder value.

are able to be achieved.......

So the *Magic* and *Pixie Dust* serves both the *magic and the maximized earnings.

If people decide they are not getting the *magic*, Disney may as well just become a, cheap movie company, 6 flags park company or a UNI thrill park company or a Carnival Line, because people will not pay the extra anymore.

AKK

Hey Skipper,

I was only trying to illustrate whilst Disney's "mission statement" is very nice and short and snappy, their Investor Relations statement is little different from RCI's.

DCL:

The Walt Disney Company's objective is to be one of the world's leading producers and providers of entertainment and information, using its portfolio of brands to differentiate its content, services and consumer products. The company's primary financial goals are to maximize earnings and cash flow, and to allocate capital toward growth initiatives that will drive long-term shareholder value.

VS.

RCI:

Whilst Disney has a cuter and doesn't mention money in the "mission statement", the intent is there in the Investor's statement.

Just wish they would walk the walk and not be all talk sometimes with employees! ;)

ex techie

In the last 11 mos, I've been on DCL, HAL and Uniworld. DCL value is in the service angle and special onboard events and services aimed at kids. Hell to me would be a Disney cruise without kids (which there were several adult couples onboard without kiddos--I don't get it:))

When my family cruised on the Dream in May it was my husband, myself and our two grown daughters 22 and 18 and we loved it. Plenty for adults to do and being treated like royalty didn't hurt either. I can completely understand why adults without children cruise on DCL. :)

As you can see in my signature, I've cruised with many different lines and ships. Most of the time, we just want to "get out there" on the water and spend time in different ports, and eat different foods from the islands, etc. That's what we did on our last cruise, last week on the Carnival Valor. It was very port-intensive. 5 islands, and just one sea day. We had a fantastic time!! In fact, we kept saying it was our best cruise ever!

But, once in awhile, we want a nice "ship experience", where we want to chill in an adults-only quiet area, and have a relaxing few days. That's when we pick Disney or Princess. The atmosphere is completely different on these lines, than on Carnival.

We also love the dining experiences on Disney. Really the only ships we will eat in the main dining rooms. Late seating, of course. 😉

I think using the word "free" in this context is a misnomer. Perhaps "included" would be a better term.

Actually you have misunderstood my post.

I quoted this post.....

alinnj

I have NO PROBLEM paying $900 + more than other lines for the enjoyment of FREE SODA

Which implies that the extra you get for $900 is only free soda.

So I said, 'YES' AND YOU GET THE OTHER THINGS QUOTED FOR FREE!!!!

So it was a bit sarcastic.

So I do not think you read my post as all included ruins the joke!!

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

We didn't find any difference between DCL and Princess in that regard. The service level was the same level throughout the whole cruise. On DCL we did get those cute little character tags for our luggage, rather than generic colored tags. :) The last night on both was pretty much the same, with the instructions on getting your luggage out in the hall by a certain time so it could be off-loaded in the morning :(

The magic is pretty much gone when you go to bed on the night before disembarking. Breakfast the last day, whether at the buffet or in the dining room, is pretty much a downer!

Then we may try Princess next year.

Maybe we got an extra bit of pixie dust, we still felt the magic. We also don't pack till the morning of...and carry our own bags off.

We also had a 14 month old with us, impossible for breakfast to be a downer.

(Or maybe we brought our own magic and it wouldn't have matter the cruise line.)

I will say, if they actually sprinkled pixie dust on us when calling our names when boarding, THAT would be AWESOME!

Disney provides top notch service, but they have tons of FREE activities. Their shows are hands down the best. Entertaining for a 2 year old up to grandparent. So you don't have to leave your kids in the kids club to enjoy your evening. The pirate party and fireworks were great for all ages too. Also, they had a movie theatre with free first run Disney movies, including 3D. The room was spacious and had a tub. The kids club and nursery if you have a kid under 3 were very good. I cruised two times by myself and 2 kids (ages 2&4) on Disney and I did not feel alone at all. Everyone was super friendly and even the other families at my table were very nice.

Disney provides top notch service, but they have tons of FREE activities. Their shows are hands down the best. Entertaining for a 2 year old up to grandparent. So you don't have to leave your kids in the kids club to enjoy your evening. The pirate party and fireworks were great for all ages too. Also, they had a movie theatre with free first run Disney movies, including 3D. The room was spacious and had a tub. The kids club and nursery if you have a kid under 3 were very good. I cruised two times by myself and 2 kids (ages 2&4) on Disney and I did not feel alone at all. Everyone was super friendly and even the other families at my table were very nice.

Fully agree.