Helmet Dive for Chickens?

cruisin'sz

The Helmet Dive looks awesome, but I am somewhat of a chicken, when it comes to the ocean (although I love being on a boat) Snorkeling and I do not get along (I can't get the breathing thing going enough to relax), but I did well with the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman and hiking through the Baths in Virgin Gorda. Has anyone with a similar fear/apprehension done the Helmet Dive and if so, were you able to conquer your fear?

If at any time during the dive you find yourself uncomfortable, can you return to the boat.

Thanks for the help.

We went on the Helmet dive, and after seeing the first group go down, I felt more comfortable, knowing how we would be started. I don't like ( or feel comfortable) snorkeling, and it was a real challenge to try this, but it had been on my "bucket list" for awhile. I loved it, carefully going down the ladder, having the helmet on my head, the weight belt on and getting to the sandy bottom floor. It was worth my anxiety, and I felt very comfortable under water! Try it! Good luck.

• 6 months later...

I did a helmet dive in St. Martin and as someone who is a poor swimmer (at best) and feels very uncomfortable IN the water (I'm fine ON the water - boating, kayaking/canoeing) it was a bit of a challenge for me. The most anxiety I felt was going down the ladder and getting my ears to pop. Once I got to the bottom I relaxed a little and was able to enjoy the experience. Did it make me want to run out and go scuba diving - no, but was it fun? yes definitely.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on a helmet dive in St Maarten, and I'm going again in Bermuda. I spoke to Greg and he assured me that if the water is chilly, they provide wet suits free of charge. It should be a great experience