Credit cards

Pinktrixie

Does anyone know if a fee is charged for paying your onboard account with a CC,

The only thing you need to consider is who is performing the conversion. If you rely on RCCL to do the conversion from USD to sterling pound (I am assuming that you are in the UK, but there could be more than one Bedford in the world), then RCCL may offer a worse rate than if you let your CC provider convert the Dollars into sterling pound.

My advice is what ever you do whether at the shops on land or on the ship, always pay in USD or other foreign currencies and let your credit card provider do the conversion back to GBP. And even better use a fee free credit card such as the Post Office credit card.

My advice is what ever you do whether at the shops on land or on the ship, always pay in USD or other foreign currencies and let your credit card provider do the conversion back to GBP. And even better use a fee free credit card such as the Post Office credit card.

I used the Fairfx prepay card for the last 3 cruises with no issues and may offer a better rate than the Post Office.

I used the Fairfx prepay card for the last 3 cruises with no issues and may offer a better rate than the Post Office.

Not too sure about the prepay card has better rates than a credit card. The credit card uses wholesale rate and not the tourist rates. It is very hard for a normal traveller to find better rates than a credit card but of course the rates rise and fall daily.

Just checked today Fairfx rate is at $1.5325 and Post Office MasterCard rate is $1.5597.

Not too sure about the prepay card has better rates than a credit card. The credit card uses wholesale rate and not the tourist rates. It is very hard for a normal traveller to find better rates than a credit card but of course the rates rise and fall daily.

Just checked today Fairfx rate is at $1.5325 and Post Office MasterCard rate is $1.5597.

That is interesting. Do they charge an ATM fee or a usage fee when overseas? I am happy with Fairfx as it has always worked well for me in the past.

That is interesting. Do they charge an ATM fee or a usage fee when overseas? I am happy with Fairfx as it has always worked well for me in the past.

You should never use a credit card for any ATM withdrawals as that is a cash advance and it charges interest straight away. I have my debit card for any cash withdrawals and again with my bank account there is zero oversea charges.

Just use the credit card for purchases only. And as I said earlier get a Post Office credit card or I believe Halifax Clarity, they have zero charges. You only pay what you have been charged with no other fees. Of course with any credit cards you should pay the full balance off when the statement comes and you will incur zero interests.

Some people do prefer to use prepay cards over credit cards. So if you are happy with it then keep using it but you might not be on one of the best deal.

Hi, we used our credit card on our last cruise, it was converted, rate 1.560602, but was also charged a non- sterling fee, so don't forget you have to pay that.

Yes most credit cards do charge a non-sterling fee. But there is a handful that do not charge any fees at all, those are the best to use when travelling.

Archived