Hotel Questions in Galveston

Manny13840

Ok which hotel is better La Quinta in Galveston by Sea wall or Inn at the Waterpark next to Schlitterbahn...

It really depends on what you mean by "better", what you're planning on doing while you're on the island, and if you'll have a car or not. If you're going to spend most of your time at Schlitterbahn and/or Moody Gardens, then Inn at the Waterpark would be ideal, location-wise. But there is nowhere you could walk to to go eat, except for the quasi-restaurant they have there that I know serves a free continental breakfast and I think some other basic offerings "seasonally." The mini-golf they have there is popular, and well-maintained.

There are two La Quinta's on the Seawall -- neither of which are close to family tourist draws such as the Pleasure Pier or Rainforest Cafe, but there would at least be places you could walk to for food/snacks/souvenirs if you were on the Seawall. Plus, the beach would be right there.

Hope this helps a little...

-gina-

It really depends on what you mean by "better", what you're planning on doing while you're on the island, and if you'll have a car or not. If you're going to spend most of your time at Schlitterbahn and/or Moody Gardens, then Inn at the Waterpark would be ideal, location-wise. But there is nowhere you could walk to to go eat, except for the quasi-restaurant they have there that I know serves a free continental breakfast and I think some other basic offerings "seasonally." The mini-golf they have there is popular, and well-maintained.

There are two La Quinta's on the Seawall -- neither of which are close to family tourist draws such as the Pleasure Pier or Rainforest Cafe, but there would at least be places you could walk to for food/snacks/souvenirs if you were on the Seawall. Plus, the beach would be right there.

Hope this helps a little...

(quote)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It should help!

Thanks Gina, you are right on!

I will add though:

Moody Gardens Hotel does have restaurants right across street

Shearn's upstairs and Cafe downstairs!

There is also Jimmys on the Pier over the gulf waters

down the road at Gulf!

And others on Stewart at/and 61st down the road also!

Moody Gardens provides limo bus transfers to other island destinations(Strand, Seawall and Port)

and probably port terminals for ship in the morning!

Believe Inn at the Waterpark is owned by Moody Gardens Hotel.

Call to confirm these transfers are available for both hotels!

The La Quinta West is a newer hotel than older one on east Seawall!

Good points, ssb!! I forget that some people can afford Shearn's, even if I can't, lol. :p Heard that place is amazing, though.

But just to clarify, the Inn at the Waterpark isn't owned by the Moody Gardens folks -- it's owned by the same company that owns the Menger in San Antonio and the YO Ranch Resort in Kerrville. But they do offer a "cruise traveler" package, that includes a discounted rate and transport to the cruise terminal. http://www.innatthewaterpark.com/specials-packages-en.html

-gina-

Good points, ssb!! I forget that some people can afford Shearn's, even if I can't, lol. :p Heard that place is amazing, though.

But just to clarify, the Inn at the Waterpark isn't owned by the Moody Gardens folks -- it's owned by the same company that owns the Menger in San Antonio and the YO Ranch Resort in Kerrville. But they do offer a "cruise traveler" package, that includes a discounted rate and transport to the cruise terminal. http://www.innatthewaterpark.com/specials-packages-en.html

-gina-

Hey we can learn something everyday

from someone. Thanks

Terry Hendricks and Lloyd Maines are at old quarter sat nite

Hi Gina

Lyle Lovett and all of his acoustic friends are at 1894 Opera House Sunday nite .

We volunteer there. And will be there.

I volunteered Robert Earl Keen SRO last Saturday at Opera house.

And the road goes on forever.

If you haven't seen Terry Hendricks

She and Lloyd are great together.

We are going if not sold out already!

Kinky Friedman and Bruce Robison are coming up also!

Hopefully Kelly Willis comes with Bruce?

Well, oddly, I'm not a huge live-music fan! I just love a very few bands/singers like Ocean Roots, Intercoastal Pirates, Kelly McGuire. They all speak to my inner pirate/outer beachbum. :D

Back to the question at hand -- OP, was there a reason you asked about only those specific hotels?

We stayed at the Inn at Waterpark last year about this time, and my daughter & I stayed there one other time when we cruised.

It's a nice hotel, was clean, the bathrooms are very roomy, the rooms are roomy, and it was CHEAP! The only problem we had there last year (and it wasn't the hotel's fault) was that they had recent rains, and their ditches were full of water around the hotel and the mosquitoes were AWFUL! I mean they attacked you when you got out of your car, and followed you to your room!

I don't know if its a "September" thing (that is when we were there), but it was bad. We didn't have any trouble anywhere else on the island.

But, we liked the hotel. The breakfast is filling enough to get you started and get to the ship.

We didn't want to spend a fortune on a place to spend the night.

We didn't get to try the mini-golf because of the mosquitoes.

Archived