Star - Shore Excursions

My husband and I are first time NCL cruisers. We want to pre register for some of the shore excursions on the Star. Can anyone tell me if it would be possible to take the Skagway Street Car excursion from 8:30 - 10:30 am. and still make the Best of Skagway excursion that runs from 11 am. to 5:30 pm.? Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is our first cruise to Alaska as well.

New Cruiser:confused:

I can't help you with Skagway because we rented a car there, and did other independent tours in Juneau and Ketchikan, but we did do NCL excursions in Victoria and post-cruise in Seattle. We did the Butchart Gardens and Victoria city tour in Victoria. A little more time at the gardens would have been better but considering the time constraints, which is why we did the tour through NCL to begin with, we thoroughly enjoyed the tour. Our guide was very knowledgeable (she was a local) and we got to see a lot of the city. We had a mid-afternoon flight out of Seattle so we did the Seattle city tour through NCL. Again we had a very good guide and we saw many sights of the city. The last thing we did was go to west Seattle to a relatively high spot and look down on the sound and the cruise ships. Both tours were well worth the money, in our opinion.

Try not to miss the train ride in Skagway. Simply magnificent. Booking this one on the ship is only about $5.00 cheaper than booking off the ship. If you go sit on the left side of the train going up. Pictures are better than coming back down. You can also stand on the platform between cars. Get one early. In Juneau you can get a bus to Mendenhall Glacier for $5.00 each way. Buses run all the time. A WHOLE lot cheaper than booking this one on the ship. There are some bargains for tours once off the ship. By booking off the ship you are not laible for payment if you decide not to go or if the weather is crappy.

We are on the July 10 sailing.

I agree regarding the train ride. We just went two weeks ago, and it was very nice. I'd suggest taking the first ride of the AM, and then touring Skagway as you wish from there. It's about a 3.5 hour excursion. By booking from the ship, the train meets you at the pier, and brings you back there as well. There are horse carriage and other tourist excursions available in town and at the pier if you want to do that when you return from the train, (or otherwise), and you can check the weather once you disembark. Otherwise, there are some nice combined packages available from NCL to consider.

Skagway is small, so making both of your trips should be doable. I suspect that some of those sights may overlap, and you may want to get the details before duplicating your tour. There were many spots available on the non-train excursions by the time we were on the boat, and the excursion desk is very helpful- they even have a automated excursion terminal for after hours tickets.

We are on the Star (again) in less than two weeks! In Skagway, we are doing the Family Gold Rush in the morning and then the 12:45 train. Others in our group are doing the Gold Rush and then the Streetcar in the afternoon. Are there morning Streetcars? Then you could do one of the afternoon trains. (12:45 and 4:15)

Archived