Luggage Lost in Bay

TX Dawg

Thought this funny as we were watching it, however I'm sure that the people who lost it were not amused. We sailed on the 6/12 sailing of Elation out of Galveston. As we were sailing with a family who had never cruised before, we went out on deck to watch as we left port. As we were watching the dock people do all their last minute "do's", we noticed that they were loading the last of what looked like Thousand Island gressing onto the ship. The boxes had gotten wet (they had fallen into the bay and were "caught" by a net that I guess they put out for this very reason) and they were rolling it on...(note to self....no orange dressings once on board). We also noted that they also pulled a suitcase out of the water after the dressing.:eek: They put it on the ship and we left. We couldn't believe it!!! A few days later we got a note with our capers that someone's luggage still had not turned up. To this day we wonder if the lost luggage was really the wet one they pulled from the water!!!! Anybody else with luggage stories?

Not really luggage, but when we were moving back from France in 1961, one of our crates of our housing material accidentally went into New York Harbour. They got some stuff back, but most was ruined, including my baby pictures, since I was born in France while my parents were there. For years, my brothers tried to convince me I was adopted, since I had dark brown hair and EVERYONE in the family (including the dog!) had some shade of red hair, from Flaming Red to Strawberry blonde.

It does happen everywhere, it seems!

June

I would be pretty mad if my luggage fell off the ship. I would not be a happy cruiser. Even if it didn't fall off, even if it just got lost. But I would be more mad if it fell off. Because they could of prevented that.

We had our luggage picked up at the final cattle call (i.e. this cruise is over, get out!) by fellow passengers. They were SO NICE as to realize they had the wrong luggage that they VERY NICELY LEFT OURS at the TAXI STANDS and , we assume, went back and got there own!!!!:mad:

After DH and I waited 'til everyone was gone, INCLUDING the "very concerned" Carnival officials that were supposed to be finding our lost luggage, we finally gave up and went to the taxi stands. Low and behold, in Miami, yet, there sat our luggage. Of course there were no more taxis, we missed our flight and we still thank our fellow passengers for their lovely behavior. :rolleyes:

And other boards ridicule Carnival passengers :eek: and crew:eek: and we all wonder why?:confused:

I know, I'm getting flamed for this, those lovely people could have been on any line...but they weren't...and Carnival refused to give us anything in writing so we could even make a claim against our trip insurance, since they were directly responsible for the safety of our luggage.

Yup - carry on is the way to go. My family of 5 did this in April. I'm a bit on the "I don't want anyone touching my stuff" side. It was so nice to be able to unpack as soon as we got on the ship.

We had our luggage picked up at the final cattle call (i.e. this cruise is over, get out!) by fellow passengers. They were SO NICE as to realize they had the wrong luggage that they VERY NICELY LEFT OURS at the TAXI STANDS and , we assume, went back and got there own!!!!:mad:

After DH and I waited 'til everyone was gone, INCLUDING the "very concerned" Carnival officials that were supposed to be finding our lost luggage, we finally gave up and went to the taxi stands. Low and behold, in Miami, yet, there sat our luggage. Of course there were no more taxis, we missed our flight and we still thank our fellow passengers for their lovely behavior. :rolleyes:

And other boards ridicule Carnival passengers :eek: and crew:eek: and we all wonder why?:confused:

I know, I'm getting flamed for this, those lovely people could have been on any line...but they weren't...and Carnival refused to give us anything in writing so we could even make a claim against our trip insurance, since they were directly responsible for the safety of our luggage.

We had the same thing happen on another cruise line. I never understand why the passenger just didn't bring it back...

On every cruise I've been on there was always a note left in the cabins, midweek, looking for lost luggage.

As we always drive to our port in NYC and personnally hand the luggage to the porters, say a few nice words to them usually leading to a conversation (my NYC accent comes through) and giving them $2 per bag, I never gave a thought to lost or mishandled luggage.

I assumed that the lost luggage was due to passengers who have flown, taken a bus or otherwise depended on their luggage being tranferred by others. Now, something else to worry about...

If I could pack using a small suitcase for a cruise, I would. This works for flights to FL but not for a cruise, with the dressy outfits and separate day clothes. Please post your packing list ...

In May on the Legend we took advantage of self-assist disembarkation for the first time. There were 4 ships in port along with Fleet week... and this was the easiest we ever experienced .....

Archived