Snorkeling in Dec in Key West/Dry Tortugas

uday029

We are planning to spend the new year weekend holidays in Key west and are planning to do some snorkeling in Key West and Dry Tortugas, but have begun to read some disappointing reviews of water and wind conditions there. Some of the private sail boat charters strongly recommended against snorkeling in December since they expect rough/cold waters. I have been reading mixed reviews about water conditions in December. I'm wondering if there is a stronger than normal current in December versus another time of the year. I was also wondering if snorkelling is better in Key Largo compared to Key West? We are planning to stay in Key Largo. We were planning to take a private sail boat charter for snoekeling to get away from the crowds.

I guess I am hoping for someone to say "snorkeling in West will be GREAT in December!" - but please be honest about any pros and cons you can think of.

Thanks in advance!

If your in the Keys during the month of December expect water temperatures in the mid 70`s. As for the seas/wind they are not as predictable as the summer months it`s just hit and miss between weather fronts. I do agree that Key Largo offers the best options for diving and snorkeling.

two kinds of people snorkel in the Keys (and I prefer the upper Keys myself) at that time of the year.

Tourists from up north who think the water is warm.

An others in wet suits . . .

Here's dd shivering this March on a dive boat in Cayman ... way south of KW ....

100_0125_zps90d2ea40.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about in Key West but I doubt anyone would take you out to the Tortugas. The current even in summer can be extremely strong. With out being able to dive down and be protected by the reef it could make for a very unpleasant day.

FYI....

I spent a week in the Keys before doing a X-mas cruise a couple of years ago and after a few days of checking out all the options I went with Key Largo.

The State park there rents wet suits, equipment and a boat ride out to the reef, which is a mile or so out.

They did have wind and water temperature advisories posted to let you know what to expect, hence the wet suit.

The sea swell that afternoon was 1-2 FT behind the reef and the water was chilly, the wet suit did the job though. Visibility was maybe 6-8 FT.

mark

Archived