Hurricane Season

frugalKansan

We cruised on Legend last year. Hurricane Isaac hit the gulf coast of Florida the day we were supposed to embark. Legend ended up going into Port Canaveral instead of Tampa as the port of Tampa was closed. We had to join her there instead. No biggie for us as we were in Orlando and Port Canaveral was actually a little closer for us than Tampa. Carnival made arrangements for bussing all the people who flew into Tampa. Our itinerary was done in reverse and we missed Belize altogether....We still had a great cruise.....they steered around the hurricane enough that we didn't even know there was one........At the end of the day, someone was making my bed, cooking my meals, serving me drinks, and entertaining me!!!!! It's all good!!! :)

We like to cruise in the fall. A few years ago we would cruise in late September, but now we have moved to late October, just to get more out of the highest risk timeframe for hurricanes. The only times we have encountered problems:

Our first cruise, Splendor 2009 - Mexican Riviera - last sea day there was a low pressure following us. Ship was rocking. We laughed because waiter tried to pour our water at dinner and missed the glass! Not even sure this was a tropical wave.

Last year, Freedom 2012 - Sandy was just moving away as we went into Fort Lauderdale. We flew into town the day before, and it was very windy when we arrived. The day we embarked was also windy, but luckily it cleared out pretty quickly.

I was going to add another sentence, then erased it because I don't want to jinx myself. :) May good luck be had by all on your future cruises.

I actually like gentle waves...the aforementioned lst cruise on Horizon, I believe it was Hurricane Gloria we had to skirt around. And this was before stabilizers, etc. Best night sleep I ever had. It was like being in a giant hammock. We have had a few cruises like that. And if you miss a port, nothing to do about it. I think the bad would be cruising THRU bad weather i.e. rain, wind and all that. That is the drawback for me for cruising during hurricane season. I want to be able to at least sit out at the pool and on my balcony. Yet again, I am cruising in February from NY for the 2nd time! That's always a crap shoot too! :eek:

Archived