Cruise and Stay 2014

Considering a Cruise and Stay holiday for June 2014 (Thomson Dream), and am looking at Santa Lucia Hotel in Palmanova. Has anyone stayed at this hotel and if so, would you recommend it? Very conflicting reviews on website.

Also, when booking with Thomsons, is it possible to specify type of room - e.g. Superior Room on 7th Floor or is it just pot luck?

So glad I joined C.C. forum, - have learned so much from all you experienced cruisers out there... even though next cruise will be our 7th, until we sailed with Thomsons for the first time in 2012, had never heard of the forum.

:)

Airtours Carousel 2004

Ocean Village 2 2007

Ocean Village 2 2008

Ocean Village 2010

Thomson Dream 2012

Thomson Dream 2013

Never stayed there, but looked inside once.... would have to be a bargain to tempt me.

If you are going as a couple then Son Matias is worth a look, we stayed there around 10 years ago and it still is held in high regard by some of the regulars on here. So it mustn't have changed much. We would go there again.

All rooms face the sea, great views from the top floor. You can request a certain floor or room but it is never guaranteed.

Hi Ginjoli

My wife and I stayed there for a week as part of a stay and cruise package. We were at the Santa Lucia on an all inclusive basis from 13 July, and have to say we enjoyed our stay there very much. The food was on a par with the Dream and in our opinion the desserts were better than those offered on the ship.

We had a room on the top floor (818 I think it was), overlooking the pool and it was very modern and clean. We requested a high floor when booking through Thomson's but I also emailed the hotel about 14 days before we arrived and requested the top floor and that's what we got. We found the hotel staff were all very helpful and friendly. The manager was continuously on the go and frequently chatted to the guests.

I also read some of the reviews before going and it appears to me some of the negative issues mentioned, may have been addressed. For example reports the bar staff tended to overlook the AI guests - however the AI section of the bar was very well staffed and I found the service was very prompt. The only time I had to wait a wee while was one night I paid a supplement (about 1.30 euros as I recall), for a couple of premium brand cocktails which were served in the non AI section of the bar.

Like all AI hotels some drinks are better than others and I would particularly recommend the Cava. We also found the house red and white wine quite good, but the pre mixed AI 'cocktails' from a dispenser in the bar area was very disappointing.

The sunbed issues are still very much there and people do queue first thing in the morning. However we used the sun loungers on the sundeck, which is on top of a first floor roof overlooking the pool and generally there were always some free sun loungers available. Had to be quick to grab one with a parasol though.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the Santa Lucia and in my view it offered good value and was far better than we expected. It is in a great location and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Many thanks JoeHoliday2 and Glenlivet for your helpful replies.

Son Matias looks great, but much more expensive than the Santa Lucia. Also it is not listed as an option on Thomsons website, so presume it is fully booked. We like an Outside Plus cabin on Deck 9 on the Dream, so would rather pay the supplement for cabin and get a good deal on hotel stay.

Are all the rooms on 8th Floor at Santa Lucia classed as 'superior' Glenlivet, and do they have a full sea view? - Someone mentioned in one of the reviews that rooms on 7th Floor are all 'superior'. Also, did you have tea making facilities?

Many thanks once again

Many thanks JoeHoliday2 and Glenlivet for your helpful replies.

Son Matias looks great, but much more expensive than the Santa Lucia.

Hi Ginjoli

Son Matias is great.Stayed there 4 times.Lovely rooms all with a fantastic view,food excellent in fact would say its better than the Dream and generally great entertainment.

I`ve checked the whole of June 2014 and Son Matias is listed as a hotel option

Ginjoli

'Are all the rooms on 8th Floor at Santa Lucia classed as 'superior' Glenlivet, and do they have a full sea view? - Someone mentioned in one of the reviews that rooms on 7th Floor are all 'superior'. Also, did you have tea making facilities?'

I don't know if the room we had was a superior. We did not have to pay any extra for it. There was a full sea view from our balcony, looking over the pool towards the beach. All the rooms in the hotel have sea views. There were no tea making facilities in our room, therefore I don't think it was classed as a 'superior'.

Archived