Newbie - Questions

WikkiNee74

Hi,

We have now booked on our first cruise. Rhapsody of the Seas New Years Eve cruise 2014/2015 to South Pacific :D We are travelling with a group from my daughter's dance school and are very excited to be going!! I just have a couple of questions and since I have been reading the boards on here for a while, I thought you might all be able to help me.

We are planning on getting the soda package for the kids (aged 16, 13 and 10), but, from what I have read, in the Teen area on the ship, if they decide to hang out there (the 13 and 16 yr olds), they have Mocktails. Would these be extra? I have been told previously to take the cc charge off their sea pass cards and possibly back them up with case so they have a small spending limit. Would the Mocktails then be booked to the seapass card?

I am presuming my 13 year old will be able to sign himself in and out of the Teen Club or does he not need to sign in at all? Will the 10 year old be able to sign himself in/out or can I make it so that we have to sign him in or out?

Is there anything else that we might need to know about cruising to the South Pacific. Are the ports safe enough for the kids for port days or are there places they should stay on the ship?

Anything we should definitely not miss? We are cruising from Sydney to Luganville, Champagne Bay, Vila, Lifou and Isle of Pines. Thanks.

Vickie

Hi Vickie,

I have yet to travel on Royal Caribbean, my first is New Years on Radiance, so I can not answer those specific questions.

However I have cruised to the South Pacific before and the islands are beautiful. Most of them are basically just beaches, great for swimming and snorkeling. I would definitely suggest that you buy reef shoes for the family if you intend on going into the water. The beaches are made of heavy coral, which can cause nasty cuts on the feet. Not what you want on vacation!

For more information on the ports I would suggest checking out the Australian and NZ Cruising forum on here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=712

You will find more specific information about the South Pacific ports here.

In relation to tours, I have always just waited until on shore to book with the locals. In Vila in particular there will be a lot of locals with taxis waiting for the ship. It can be a little overwhelming and they will be very persistent. A firm no and carrying on your way will dissuade them.

I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Lauren

The kids' club ages 9-11 can sign themselves in & out if you give prior approval when you do the registration the first day. Our 9 year-old daughter was excited/nervous about doing it for the first time, but we had her call the room to see if we were there before leaving.

Archived