Port Canaveral to MCO travel time - trying to decide on flights

soccerdad72

Trying to book our airfare and we're definitely flying into MCO the day before, so no concerns there.

But, out departure flight is where I have a question. Our ship (Royal Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas) is schedule to arrive at 6am and the best flight price is at 10:20am. Is that too early of a flight or is it feasible? There's 11am and 12:40pm flights available, but they're considerably more. We don't really have the flexibility of going home the next day as our kids are back in school then (Thanksgiving break).

Thanks!

Steve

1020 is early but doable

the travel time is an hour or a little under in normal circumstances. As you know RCL recommends later . . . arrival time is not necessarily the time ICE/Customs clears the ship.

You want a hire car/private shuttle waiting for you to boogey. Or take a taxi ($100). Do NOT rent a car and I'd NOT do the cruise shuttle. Self depart the ship as early as possible.

In ideal conditions you may come back here and tell us you were swimming in time. IF there is an accident on the Beachline you are up the creek . . .

AND, if we are talking Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend the airport security lines are going to be BRUTAL in Orlando . . . they can be over an hour on an average Sunday.

Trying to book our airfare and we're definitely flying into MCO the day before, so no concerns there.

But, out departure flight is where I have a question. Our ship (Royal Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas) is schedule to arrive at 6am and the best flight price is at 10:20am. Is that too early of a flight or is it feasible? There's 11am and 12:40pm flights available, but they're considerably more. We don't really have the flexibility of going home the next day as our kids are back in school then (Thanksgiving break).

Thanks!

Steve

We have done this 2 times Mariner 2007 and the Freedom in 2011. If the air cost is that much more for the later flight, you need to book a private car to pick you up and get you to Orlando. Pack a bit lighter and carry off your own luggage. The trip is a good hour+, we rented a car both times, but did not try for that early of a flight. Good Luck:o

I went back in this morning to look at airfare again and it looks like a later afternoon (3:30-4:00pm) flight went down in price a little. So instead of it being $140 more per person (there's 5 of us), it's $50 per person more. While I don't relish spending 6 extra hours at MCO, I'm not sure the $250 is worth the stress of worrying about missing our flight home.

Capt_BJ - yes, it's the Sunday after Thanksgiving, which I assume is a really bad day for MCO. We've flown out on the day before Thanksgiving and that was bad enough, but I figure Sunday after will be worse.

With the later flight look at the cost diff between a shuttle or renting a car. Both times we rented. They picked us up at the ship, took us to the rental office and we were off. We had time to stop at a few sight's in Orlando so we didn't have to sit at the airport. Now it may not be a bad idea to be there extra early with all the post Thanksgiving crowd that will be doing the same as you.

With the later flight look at the cost diff between a shuttle or renting a car. Both times we rented. They picked us up at the ship, took us to the rental office and we were off. We had time to stop at a few sight's in Orlando so we didn't have to sit at the airport. Now it may not be a bad idea to be there extra early with all the post Thanksgiving crowd that will be doing the same as you.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. I'm planning on doing a one-way rental the say we fly in and getting a hotel in Cocoa Beach, so I might do another one-way for that Sunday as well and maybe head over to Downtown Disney or Citywalk for a couple hours before heading to the airport.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! :)

Archived