Perks from TAs

MisterMagoo

I am travelling in a large group (50 of us) to Bermuda on the Majesty 7/17. Does anyone have any experience with the types of incentives that TAs might give for booking a group this size? The person who organized our cruise was told they would receive a number of free cabins for 'x' cabins booked, however the TA is now claimimg that they never promised anything and will not provide anything for our group. I had heard that they will often provide cocktail parties, or would that be NCL? This just seems like poor public relations on the TAs part as a group this large is sure to spread the word about this.

You should get one free "berth" (bed) for 15........16th goes for free. So 32 pax 1 free cabin..........based on the most sold in a specific cat........the most sold in a jj........you get a jj free, and so on. Suites are never included.

The other freebies are negotiated in the contract when the group is formed.......shipboard credit, bottle of wine, etc.

NCL just changed their group policies but your group should be under the old ones.

For a group the size of yours, if your TA claims no special treatment, they are pocketting something or sending their friends at your cost. You definitely should get some rooms to dilute the cost across the group.

Try on of the online " vacationsto... ", call directly to them. Call NCL directly, I am sure they will do something.

Try two or three cruise specializing travel agencies to compare deals and say so to them.

Bon Voyage

Terry

For a group the size of yours, if your TA claims no special treatment, they are pocketting something or sending their friends at your cost. You definitely should get some rooms to dilute the cost across the group.

Try on of the online " vacationsto... ", call directly to them. Call NCL directly, I am sure they will do something.

Try two or three cruise specializing travel agencies to compare deals and say so to them.

Bon Voyage

Terry

hate to break this to you, but we do not get anything different regardless of the size of the group. Yes, there will be one free passenger for every 15 cruising so this would probably qualify for 1 free cabin. That being said the group can choose to split the difference or whatever. The cruise line will normally give a cocktail party or something for groups this size and yes, a good TA may choose to give something to the passengers. What would I do? Well I am faced with a similar situation right now, it happens to be my granddaughter's wedding and I am handling the entire thing, bookings that is> Will I do something, sure, it's a nice peice of change, but will I give a cocktail party or something? NOPE> One thing people do not realize, handling a large group, although it's lots of change in the pocket of a TA it is also a great deal of work. I would choose selling 10 or 15 cabins individually anyday to handling a group booking. For a TA to say they don't guarentee anything is a bit much, but don't think we don't work for the profit we get and we do not get anything extra for a group booking. NMNita

Guest nhrich

What the TA can do is also based on the number of amenity points that NCL gave for that sailing.

Normally, along with the free berth, we'd give at least a cocktail party and either a bottle of wine or group photo.

Yes, groups are a lot of work, but I don't think it's too much to give a couple of extras (along with great service :) ) to the groups to earn their loyalty.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

I'm not organizing this trip, but the person who did organize it is contacting NCL and local consumer advocate groups because the TA did promise the free bookings and then refused to follow through.

I understand that the TA has contacted the organizer and has threatened to sue if they don't stop calling NCL and the consumer advocate groups! I would imagine that this is just a scare tactic, but it seems a like this company is going out of it's way to make sure that we never use them again.

I guess the moral of the story is to get all promises in writing and don't send in that final payment until you get what you are promised.

I'm not organizing this trip, but the person who did organize it is contacting NCL and local consumer advocate groups because the TA did promise the free bookings and then refused to follow through.

I understand that the TA has contacted the organizer and has threatened to sue if they don't stop calling NCL and the consumer advocate groups! I would imagine that this is just a scare tactic, but it seems a like this company is going out of it's way to make sure that we never use them again.

I guess the moral of the story is to get all promises in writing and don't send in that final payment until you get what you are promised.

You are correct, get it in writing. NCL "gives" the perks to the agency to do as they wish. If the agent is going he/she can take the free. If not he/she can take the money.

If the free was promised to the group leader, he/she can take it or distribute it among the pax. There are many ways the free can be distributed.

If nothing is in writing from the agency I don`t see that you have any recourse. I would let NCL know that your group is not happy with this agency via a formal letter. Speaking to someone on the phone will do no good.

I have just arranged a group cruise and my T.A. has been up front from the beginning. The 16th passenger is free and I was offered two of the following for my group - A Cocktail party, a free group picture (1) per cabin or a bottle of wine for each cabin.

The advantage to the group booking is that the 3rd and 4th passengers are usually reasonable.

There is a lot of work for a group and I knew that at the beginning the T.A. was very nervous about doing a group. The individual doing the organizing needs to provide the T.A. with the most current information in writing, otherwise, things get confusing.

The Cruise Line were prompting the Travel Agent to find out what we wanted. I cannot possibly see how they can't provide it.

I have just arranged a group cruise and my T.A. has been up front from the beginning. The 16th passenger is free and I was offered two of the following for my group - A Cocktail party, a free group picture (1) per cabin or a bottle of wine for each cabin.

The advantage to the group booking is that the 3rd and 4th passengers are usually reasonable.

There is a lot of work for a group and I knew that at the beginning the T.A. was very nervous about doing a group. The individual doing the organizing needs to provide the T.A. with the most current information in writing, otherwise, things get confusing.

The Cruise Line were prompting the Travel Agent to find out what we wanted. I cannot possibly see how they can't provide it.

The cruise line WILL provide the perks on board.......the free berths are up to the agency to distribute.

One other thought.........who is the "leader" of the group? Perhaps they are not telling the group that they are going free?

What the TA can do is also based on the number of amenity points that NCL gave for that sailing.

Normally, along with the free berth, we'd give at least a cocktail party and either a bottle of wine or group photo.

Yes, groups are a lot of work, but I don't think it's too much to give a couple of extras (along with great service :) ) to the groups to earn their loyalty.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

I totally agree with you. Of course we are willing to do what we need to and with a smile, not only do I love to give good service I too want the return business, I guess my point was, we do not send our friends at our clients costs, nor do we pocket anything extra. NMNIta

It does not go by how many passengers-- it does go by how many cabins are booked 8 cabins to get 1 free berth.. 16 cabins 2 free berths. You get the free berth in the cabin that sold the most. and you get to pay taxes and port charges on that free berth.

I would call the cruiselines and ask them what offers do they have for group bookings.. BUT it does sound like this group booked each cabin as a single booking NOT as a group.

This is a family group and so the leader is a relative. We didn't hear anything about the perks (or lack thereof) until recently. The price we paid was not discounted (same as on NCL website at the time) and I was really just expecting a coctail party or something while we were at sea.

At this point I think our only recourse is to enjoy the cruise, not do business with these folks again and if anyone asks make sure they know who not to do business with. I'm pretty sure we aren't missing out on a whole lot - I just don't like to be taken advantage of.

I'm not sure what you mean when you sugggest that this was not a group booking. An individual from our group contacted the TA and said we had a large group going on the cruise. I understand that the TA related that for "x" number of cabins booked with this group there would be a free berth. Each family contacted the TA individually, identified themselves as part of the group and booked their cabins. Would this not qualify as a "group"?

At least you could contact passenger courtesy on the ship you cruising and they could set up a meeting place so you could have a group gathering. This would be something similar to what they set up for the meet & greet that they do as a courtesy for CC. It wouldn't include any free drinks, but you may get some food and possibly visits by the ships crew if you want.Just a thought...:rolleyes:

Guest nhrich
I'm not sure what you mean when you sugggest that this was not a group booking. An individual from our group contacted the TA and said we had a large group going on the cruise. I understand that the TA related that for "x" number of cabins booked with this group there would be a free berth. Each family contacted the TA individually, identified themselves as part of the group and booked their cabins. Would this not qualify as a "group"?

It would qualify as a group, but the TA may not have blocked it as group space.

The thought also crossed my mind that it might not have been booked as a group, especially where the rates were the same as on NCL's site. Usually the group rates are discounted (although NCL, among others, is getting pretty stingy with the discount amount). How long ago was this booked? It's possible that there was no group space available (there's only a limited amount on each cruise), so the bookings were all done as individual bookings.

One question that might help here...do you know if the price varied at all between cabins of the same category? If so, then the TA probably did not block this as group space.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

It does not go by how many passengers-- it does go by how many cabins are booked 8 cabins to get 1 free berth.. 16 cabins 2 free berths. You get the free berth in the cabin that sold the most. and you get to pay taxes and port charges on that free berth.

I would call the cruiselines and ask them what offers do they have for group bookings.. BUT it does sound like this group booked each cabin as a single booking NOT as a group.

Didn`t want to get too specific, it does get confusing at times;) It goes by the first 2 pax in a cabin, no 3rd or 4th and if you have a single they do not count that as a double............see, confusing. So not cabins.

Can`t see why you think this group was booked as single pax. booking. If it was, for shame:o on the TA. Not good business practice for the agency.

Did everyone book at the same time frame??

How about booking numbers? Are they all different? When I book as a group I get two numbers--one as a group and another as an individual.

Did the Relative get anything at all in writing on what the agent was gonna offer for her group?

Can that relative call the agent and request a three way conversation with the cruiselines asking what can be done with this group.

I am now wondering if you indeed have a group booked? If you do not, it gets a little more tricky. My questions are very similar to Rich's. there is something here that does not seem to fit and my guess would be the TA is being totally upfront with you. Have you asked him/her if this was a group booking and if so why was there no contract signed or anything in writing?

NMNIta

I don't think they got anything in writing - that's the crux of the problem.

Most people booked arount Sept/Oct 04 for the July 05 cruise. There are quite a few 3 &4 passenger cabins booked, but I believe there are at least 18 cabins booked for the 50 people.

Archived