Alaska in Sept?

marytexas

Is Sept 12 - 22 too late to cruise Alaska? We got a price on NCL Dream

oceanview with obstructed view. My question is twofold. Obstructed view

is bottom of safety boats. We could still see out. They would be in top half of window. Can you help? Thanks.

It's end of season for Alaska. Shorter days and cooler weather. We did September Aug 30 to Sep 13 in 2002 and September 6 to 13 in 2003. We had very good weather on both. In 2003 they had rain for two weeks prior to our cruise in most ports.

If you can tolerate some rain and cooler weather, which may occur, then you will enjoy your cruise. It can rain in May, June, July, August also.

Personally, I now prefer May for the longer days, but may do a southbound Alaska/West Coast cruise again.

It's all fun, so enjoy it.

John, thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it. We decided that you are right...May or June sound better to us. Plus we were feeling pressured into making a decision strictly based on price rather than month, room preference (really wanted a balcony). Your thoughts helped. Mary

my first cruise was to alaska the 2nd week of sept in 2003. it was the roundtrip from vancouver going to glacier bay and porting at juneau, skagway and ketchikan. it was fabulous weather. in the 65 to 70 range and only a lightweight sweatshirt was needed at night to keep warm. the only rain we had was a 15 minute drizzle in ketchikan. that is to be expected there though. the sun shone everyday and it was fabulous weather all the way around. i just wore lightweight pants and tops. the whales and eagles where every where because of the salmon that were on the run. bears were abundant also. and no bugs to contend with :D . plus it was the ''shoulder month for alaska'' so the cabin was cheaper and the sales in the stores and on the ship were fantastic. i had a wonderful time and would go again in sept. the kids were also in school so the ship was not full of them. but i must say, this may when i went again, the waterfalls were spectacular and the mountains still had snow on them BEAUTUFUL. i saw alot of orka killer whales in may in juneau with capt.larry. spectacular!!!! either month---may or sept is the best time to go as far as i am concerned.

dont be afraid to go in sept. have a wonderful time.

I have cruised Alaska four times. My September sailing was rainy all days but for one. I was unable to do any of the planned excursions which was disappointing.

The two in June were much better and even early August was preferable.

im sorry to hear you did not have good weather in sept. when i went the 2nd week of sept in 2003 it was gorgeous. around 70 degree's and only a slight drizzle in ketchikan. you can never tell about the weather though.

Archived