Shuttles on Thailand &Vietnam cruise?

Cocktail Queenie

We are booked on the Journey Jan 6th 2014 15 night Thailand and Vietnam cruise. My husband and I don't usually book tours as we love exploring independantly and just walking off the ship and making our own way around. My question is.... Has anyone done this cruise, or similar and if so, do the shuttles take you right into town where the action is or would we, in this case, need to book tours.

We will be visiting Singapore, Ko Samui, Klong Toey (Bangkok), Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang (Hue, Hoi An), Halong Bay (Hanoi), Hong Kong.

If anyone has any recommendations for any of these ports I would love to hear from you as we are travelling with two friends who have never travelled with Azamara and I have been nominated as Cruise Director! I would hate to mess things up and be stranded on a dock miles from anywhere!

We did a similar cruise last year. Assuming the Journey docks at the same location : Singapore - we disembarked there so no shuttles but public transport easy, did not visit Ko Samui, Klong Toey there was a shuttle but we took tours to visit farther afield, Ho Chi Minh City - a 2.5/3 hour drive each way!!, Da Nang again the main sites are not close to the ship, Halong Bay we docked rather than tender as we were told. The main reason for being here is the junk cruise and this is easier if done via Azamara, Hong Kong, we moored alongside the Star Ferry terminal right in the heart of Hong Kong. We saw the old HK airport being changed into a new cruise terminal but I do not think it will be ready for this winter but you might like to check.

We are booked on the Journey Jan 6th 2014 15 night Thailand and Vietnam cruise. My husband and I don't usually book tours as we love exploring independantly and just walking off the ship and making our own way around. My question is.... Has anyone done this cruise, or similar and if so, do the shuttles take you right into town where the action is or would we, in this case, need to book tours.

We will be visiting Singapore, Ko Samui, Klong Toey (Bangkok), Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang (Hue, Hoi An), Halong Bay (Hanoi), Hong Kong.

If anyone has any recommendations for any of these ports I would love to hear from you as we are travelling with two friends who have never travelled with Azamara and I have been nominated as Cruise Director! I would hate to mess things up and be stranded on a dock miles from anywhere!

We did most of these ports - here is my review and details of the guides we used.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28751589

But I am doing the 3 February sailing from Singapore to Hong Kong--it covers the same ports--and have done a good bit of research relative to logistics...

• Embarkation At Singapore/Disembarkation At Hong Kong...
    • There are two cruise passenger terminals in Singapore... It is my understanding that--for both of our sailing dates--Journey will dock at The Singapore Cruise Center [Maritime Square at Harbourfront Center]... It appears to be center city...
    • There are now two cruise passenger terminals in Hong Kong... During 2014, Journey will continue to use Ocean Terminal; it is is situated on the Kowloon side [area is specifically known as Harbour City] of Victoria Harbor... Larger ships have moved to the recently opened, new cruise terminal adjacent to the airport...
    • You will find that information here; I've confirmed its accuracy with Azamara...

[*]Both are seemingly very convenient/in the thick of things... I would not, in any case, expect that shuttles will be offered on embarkation or disembarkation day...

[*]Ko Samui...

• Barring weather/other port considerations, I have confirmed with Azamara that they intend to tender into Na Thon...
    • From what I can tell, most people use Na Thon as a jumping off point to start a broader tour of the island there [i have already engaged a driver/guide]... A web search and a review of Azamara's tour offerings will help you to decide if you want to do more...

[*]Bangkok...

• The ship will dock at Klong Toey; apparently, it's a rather industrial section of Bangkok... Central Bangkok is several miles away...
    • I have, again, engaged a tour company for three days [city, Ayuthaya (50 miles away), and the floating & railroad markets] so as to keep us focused/maximize our time there...

[*]Ho Chi Minh City...

• Journey will dock right in town rather than several hours away at Phu My as larger ships do...
    • Note that if you want to see things like the Cu Chi Tunnels and/or the Mekong Delta, you'll likely need to take a tour... They're not right around the corner from central city...

[*]Da Nang...

• I've confirmed with Azamara that Journey will dock right in town [specifically at Tien Sa Port on Yet Kieu Street rather than at Chan May Port as typically used by larger ships]...
    • If you are planning to tour only Da Nang, my guess is that you will be able to do so on your own...
    • If you want to see Hoi An [about an hour's drive each way] or Hue [about a three hours' drive each way], you will likely need to do an excursion...

[*]Ha Long Bay

• Best I can tell, the tender port is small--you might consider doing a web search to determine if it will suit your needs--and primarily serves as the origin/terminus for scenic cruises of the bay...
    • If you wish to visit Hanoi, know that it is located about a three hour drive--each way--from where Journey will anchor at Ha Long Bay; a tour is probably appropriate...

Strongly suggest that you research each of the ports [using a source such as Trip Advisor] and look at Azamara's tour offerings--even if you don't choose to book with them--for inspiration... To my mind--your mileage may vary depending upon how much you want to see/do and how much you want to venture out--ship shuttles, while helpful, may still be of limited value even when docked right in town [as in Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City]...

Edited by Xport

Thankyou all for such helpful information! Time to do some research now and get down to business and start booking private guides/tours. Thanks again.

We did this cruise in Feb 13 and agree with Xport's great research and summary. We did dock in Halong (sometimes they tender), and there was a shuttle into the town of Halong where you can shop, eat or get a junk tour. Be careful with junks....they range from real junk to very nice boats. There was a shuttle from Tien Sa port to downtown DaNang, but not to Hoi An which is much nicer. No need for shuttle in Saigon. There was a shuttle in Bangkok to downtown, near the skyway train. No shuttle in Ko Samui....hire a local driver. We docked at the old cruise port in Singapore and there was a shuttle to the center near the Conrad hotel. Don't know about the new cruise terminal. It was an AMAZING cruise....enjoy!

I called Azamara to confirm our docks in the ports:

Bangkok - docking at a commercial area at Klong Toey - free shuttles to the center of

Klong Toey not Bangkok which is 7 K from Klong Toey

HCMC - docking in commercial area - Free Shuttle to town

Da Nang - docking in commercial port 10 K from town. Free shuttle into CC Danang

Halong Bay - Tender port. Tenders will drop off in Halong Bay city center

Hong Kong - Ocean Terminal

Bangkok - docking at a commercial area at Klong Toey - free shuttles to the center of

Da Nang - docking in commercial port 10 K from town. Free shuttle into CC Danang

In Feb, the shuttle went from Klong Toey into the center of Bangkok. It can take almost an hour due to the horrible Bangkok traffic. There's not much in Klong Toey....that would be the waste of a shuttle.

Hi,

We're on the Dec. 9 cruise, southbound Hong Kong to Singapore. I was pretty sure that the Journey was going to dock in Tien Sa for Da Nang.

I know that Tien Sa is closer to Da Nang than Chan May (the other Da Nang port). I'm guessing by the distance you mentioned above it is more than likely Tien Sa.

Can you confirm that the terminal is Tien Sa?

I've also read Xport's comments below yours and the member confirms it is Tien Sa for their cruise.

The reason I'm asking is because we are trying to book our private tours and tour guide needs to know the terminal for pick up.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Harry E.

When we did the Hong Kong to Singapore a couple of years ago our tour guide knew what ports we were coming into before we did lol We were docked so close to town in Bangkok and Saigon that they could see us!

Hi,

What ship were you on?

Do you remember the name of the terminal in Da Nang where the ship docked?

Thanks.

Regards,

Harry E.:)

Hi,

What ship were you on?

Do you remember the name of the terminal in Da Nang where the ship docked?

Thanks.

Regards,

Sorry can't remember:o We, and our friends, just took the shuttle to Hoi An for the day. It was the best day ever - I think it was $20 or something. Can't wait to go back in Feb.

Sorry can't remember:o We, and our friends, just took the shuttle to Hoi An for the day. It was the best day ever - I think it was $20 or something. Can't wait to go back in Feb.

Hi again,

What shuttle bus are you referring to?

We are in the process of booking a tour for Hoi An.

Do you remember what your itinerary was for the day? Would you mind sharing?

Thanks.

Regards,

Hi again,

What shuttle bus are you referring to?

We are in the process of booking a tour for Hoi An.

Do you remember what your itinerary was for the day? Would you mind sharing?

Thanks.

Regards,

It was an Azamara Quest shuttle which took us to Hoi An in the am and then picked us up later in the afternoon. Hoi an is extremely walkable, with wonderful shops, little bars and some nice restaurants for lunch. And then there is that incredible Japanese Bridge. I will see if I can find Mike Priesman's blog with wonderful pictures, port info and tour companies that he used. He did Singapore to Hong Kong on the Quest before the "rebrand" but his info is still pertinent.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It was an Azamara Quest shuttle which took us to Hoi An in the am and then picked us up later in the afternoon. Hoi an is extremely walkable, with wonderful shops, little bars and some nice restaurants for lunch. And then there is that incredible Japanese Bridge. I will see if I can find Mike Priesman's blog with wonderful pictures, port info and tour companies that he used. He did Singapore to Hong Kong on the Quest before the "rebrand" but his info is still pertinent.

Did the shuttle stop at tourist attractions along the way to Hoi An such as China Beach and Marble Mountain?

I think I found the Priesman blog at

http://www.thepreismans.com/seasia_quest_page3.htm

Thanks.

Did the shuttle stop at tourist attractions along the way to Hoi An such as China Beach and Marble Mountain?

I think I found the Priesman blog at

http://www.thepreismans.com/seasia_quest_page3.htm

Thanks.

There was no free shuttle to Hoi An in Feb 13. I think there was a low priced excursion, sort of a Hoi An on your own. Most tours to Hoi An do stop for photos at China Beach and marble shops at Marble Mtn. Our private tour gave us time to actually go up to the temples, monastery and caves on Marble Mtn....very interesting and beautiful.

There was no free shuttle to Hoi An in Feb 13. I think there was a low priced excursion, sort of a Hoi An on your own. Most tours to Hoi An do stop for photos at China Beach and marble shops at Marble Mtn. Our private tour gave us time to actually go up to the temples, monastery and caves on Marble Mtn....very interesting and beautiful.

Yes, that's what we used! As I posted above, I think it was $20. It was a perfect option for us - even with a full day in Hoi An we didn't want to leave lol. Beautiful town and wonderful people.

In Feb, the shuttle went from Klong Toey into the center of Bangkok. It can take almost an hour due to the horrible Bangkok traffic. There's not much in Klong Toey....that would be the waste of a shuttle.

Bangkok doesn't really have a centre. If the shuttle can take you to Klong Toey subway station, then you can get everywhere by subway, skytrain, and river bus (much quicker than being stuck in the traffic).

Kampol and Lee.

We, and our friends, just took the shuttle to Hoi An for the day. It was the best day ever - I think it was $20 or something.

During our port call at Da Nang next February, the "Hoi An On Your Own" excursion [#DE-22] prices out at US$ 74.25--after the 25% discount associated with booking in advance on-line--or US$ 99.00 if booked once aboard!

Edited by Xport

During our port call at Da Nang next February, the "Hoi An On Your Own" excursion [#DE-22] prices out at US$ 74.25--after the 25% discount associated with booking in advance on-line--or US$ 99.00 if booked once aboard!

I can't remember exactly the price but I think it was $20-$30 in 2011. The Millie is offering it on our cruise in Feb/14 for $45.50

Ouch Mike! I think it was about half that last year with 2012 prices and the old 50% pre-book discount. At these new prices I would look at getting a private tour or sharing a driver with others. Hoi An is the highlight of DaNang area. Marble Mtn is neat if you can explore the shrines, temples and monasteries and minimize the tourist trap marble shops. The old Marble Mtn Marine airfield is one of few remaining sites with some US war structures still standing (you'll see it from the road). Monkey Mtn (Son Tra) would be neat for nature, views, and war history, but its harder to find tours. Of course I had to stop at China Beach for nostalgia from 42 yrs ago. The Cham museum in DaNang is also worth a visit for an hour or so.

This is a copy of an email I received today in response top my query abiut Shuttle service in Bangkok (Klomg Toey)

Good day,

The Azamara Journey will be docking (as always in the past) at Klong Toey and we provide shuttle buses to the mall (approx. 20mins ride), inside Bangkok as the city is so huge and from there you could go anywhere, depending on your purpose.

But Bangkok is so massive and we always have a hospitality service onboard that could assist you with questions.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Errol James R. Chicano

Land Discoveries Manager

Azamara Club Cruises® | 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132

tel: 2509 | cell: 6456 | JR_LandDiscoveriesManager@AzamaraClubcruises.com

Connect with Azamara Club Cruises @

Web: AzamaraClubCruises.com | Facebook: AzamaraClubCruises

Twitter: @AzamaraVoyages | Blog: Destination Immersion | Youtube: AzamaraVoyages

Check out my favorite itinerary:

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/destinations/asia-pacific/ports-cities

hope this helps others

shintaro

This is a copy of an email I received today in response top my query abiut Shuttle service in Bangkok (Klomg Toey)

Good day,

The Azamara Journey will be docking (as always in the past) at Klong Toey and we provide shuttle buses to the mall (approx. 20mins ride), inside Bangkok as the city is so huge and from there you could go anywhere, depending on your purpose.

But Bangkok is so massive and we always have a hospitality service onboard that could assist you with questions.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Errol James R. Chicano

Land Discoveries Manager

Twitter: @AzamaraVoyages | Blog: Destination Immersion | Youtube: AzamaraVoyages

hope this helps others

shintaro

Further email of today

Good afternoon,

We are docked in the best possible location ever inside Bangkok unlike the big Celebrity Ships outside the city. The shuttle bus was placed as the mall was quite closer to the night market. But location wise, we are close (with a bus ride) to so many places of interests in Bangkok :-)

Kind Regards,

Errol James R. Chicano

Land Discoveries Manager

shintaro:)

FYI

See Sept 24 reply.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916965