Best sail/snorkel excursion for party of 9

mill4023

My wife and I did a catamaran/snorkeling excursion that went to St John on our last cruise and it was the highlight of our trip.

This time, we will have a group of 9 on the Epic in November.

Ages are 5, 9, 13, 16, 18, 22, 39, 42, and 62.

We would like to do a similar trip, but the cost of doing an official NCL excursion is high with this many people, so we are considering doing a private excursion.

Can anyone recommend one that is reasonably priced and will accommodate a party of 9?

My wife and I did a catamaran/snorkeling excursion that went to St John on our last cruise and it was the highlight of our trip.

This time, we will have a group of 9 on the Epic in November.

Ages are 5, 9, 13, 16, 18, 22, 39, 42, and 62.

We would like to do a similar trip, but the cost of doing an official NCL excursion is high with this many people, so we are considering doing a private excursion.

Can anyone recommend one that is reasonably priced and will accommodate a party of 9?

I'm doing the same exploration. The leader so far is New Horizon, which has mostly great reviews at TripAdvisor dot com. They charge $75 per person and can take up to 12. However, they have a strict cancellation policy and apparently do not budge on it. If your ship comes in late and you miss their departure, you still pay.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Celebrity has added an excursion with precisely the same itinerary aboard a sloop for $99. We'll likely use that since it eliminates $40+tip of cab fare, any worry of cancellation issues if our cruise is late, etc., and any worry of missing the ship.

I've been surprised to find the ship's excursions on a variety of options are very close in price to the local independent operators I can find online.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...
I'm doing the same exploration. The leader so far is New Horizon, which has mostly great reviews at TripAdvisor dot com. They charge $75 per person and can take up to 12. However, they have a strict cancellation policy and apparently do not budge on it. If your ship comes in late and you miss their departure, you still pay.

We are also interested in the day sail trip with New Horizon for our cruise in February, 2014. I called New Horizons yesterday & was told you are not charged if your ship does not come in or is late. Is that not true?

We are also interested in the day sail trip with New Horizon for our cruise in February, 2014. I called New Horizons yesterday & was told you are not charged if your ship does not come in or is late. Is that not true?

That is correct Cool Breeze. They're an excellent outfit and as long as you don't just decide to do something else without telling them no problem. We waited about 40 minutes for a cruise group that didn't show even though their ship had docked 3 hrs earlier so I would think they were charged since they never called.

Great day even if you don't snorkel. We hit a very bad squall on the way toCaneel Bay but tye rest of the day was worth it. Their lunch is spectacular, and the Nooners are excellent and they work!

Have fun!

That is correct Cool Breeze. They're an excellent outfit and as long as you don't just decide to do something else without telling them no problem. We waited about 40 minutes for a cruise group that didn't show even though their ship had docked 3 hrs earlier so I would think they were charged since they never called.

Great day even if you don't snorkel. We hit a very bad squall on the way toCaneel Bay but tye rest of the day was worth it. Their lunch is spectacular, and the Nooners are excellent and they work!

Have fun!

Thanks. You are always so helpful on this board. No shows should be charged unless it is through no fault of their own like the ship coming in late.

We did an island tour/time at Megan's Bay with Airforce 1 last time we were in St. Thomas so we wanted something different. We have been going back & forth on going to Trunk Bay or going with New Horizons & I think New Horizons is the winner! :D

Funny you should say it is a great day even if you don't snorkel. I really don't like 'fishies' :eek: but love the ocean. Go figure.

I called New Horizon again today to ask a 'few' more questions & so far I am really impressed. She also said I should be able to swim to shore at Honeymoon Beach & hang out there while others snorkel. :)

Do you know how much a cab will be there? She said she thinks it is less if you have two or more people? Thanks also for suggesting in another thread spending time at Sapphire Beach if you have extra time. It sounds great & we are in St. Thomas from 8-6 so we should have some time before or after.

Juli

Juli yes the taxi prices a couple $ cheaper each way for 2 or more ppl. Taxi will be $9 - 10pp each way from Havensight and a little more from Crown Bay.

They will also dinghy you to the beach at Honeymoon. Yes I'm not a big snorkeler and enjoy just being on the water.

I would taxi to Sapphire Beach as soon as you're off the ship and enjoy the beach, the NH is docked right at Sapphire Marina, just a 5 minute walk from the beach.

Hi,

I had picked up a few complaints posted on TripAdvisor about groups missing excursions due to a late ship arrival etc. however, those were few. Please take a look there for yourself.

When I spoke with their person by phone I was assured that they will refund if circumstances are beyond their customers' control. The only reason we will cancel our reservation is our cruise (Celebrity) is offering the same itinerary, lunch & drinks on a sloop for the same cost (once you factor in cab fare.) That eliminates the minimal risk of missing the excursion and missing the ship after.

I also note that as I've been exploring options for St. Thomas, I find blue_water is generous with knowledge and advice. That's what makes this board great, so thanks!

We are cruising to St Thomas with NCL in March. I called up New Horizons because I've used the before and looooved them. However, I just realized that we are in port from 8-4. Usually the trip w/ New Horizons is 9:30-3:30, which is too late for us. Im trying to gather a group of 20 or so and then New Horizons would do a private sailing for folks on our ship. But our role call is dead....

We are cruising to St Thomas with NCL in March. I called up New Horizons because I've used the before and looooved them. However, I just realized that we are in port from 8-4. Usually the trip w/ New Horizons is 9:30-3:30, which is too late for us. Im trying to gather a group of 20 or so and then New Horizons would do a private sailing for folks on our ship. But our role call is dead....

Vanessa I'm not sure if you've looked at any of the other daysails like Rumbaba and Captain Maxx, we've not used them and some have a 6 pax max. But check the options under Daysails for St Thomas at the vinow dot com to see if you can find something there. It'll be easier for a smaller group.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Update: Celebrity has added an excursion with precisely the same itinerary aboard a sloop for $99. We'll likely use that since it eliminates $40+tip of cab fare, any worry of cancellation issues if our cruise is late, etc., and any worry of missing the ship.

I've been surprised to find the ship's excursions on a variety of options are very close in price to the local independent operators I can find online.

Hi Theologator. We are on the Reflection the week after you. What excursion is it/what is the name and/or excursion number that you are referencing here as we would be interested in taking it instead of taking the risk of going with New Horizon.

Thanks!

Dan

Edited by huskerdan25

Ship-sponsored excursions are way to crowded for our liking.

We had a larger than 6 group once and when we explained this to our indepedent operator, she got another 6-max sailboat so we sailed next to each other and anchored together so we could be together for lunch and swimming.

The sailing companies cater to tourism; I'm sure if you told them your all aboard was 3pm they would accommodate your group. Just ask!

We never fear missing the ship. These private companies depend on tourism and will do everything they can to make sure you're back in time. We have not ever come close to missing all aboard! :)

We just got back and we ended up doing the St John Champagne Catamaran excursion again. It actually ended up being a good choice for the young kids because they take you right near a beach in Caneel bay and will give you a ride in the dinghy to the beach if you want. So our 5 yr old was able to start from the beach, which was less intimidating than starting in open deep water.

Hi Theologator. We are on the Reflection the week after you. What excursion is it/what is the name and/or excursion number that you are referencing here as we would be interested in taking it instead of taking the risk of going with New Horizon.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi HuskerDan,

It looks to me like the "Caribbean Sail to Christmas and Honeymoon Coves" has the same itinerary as New Horizon. Unfortunately the Celebrity web site isn't allowing me to pull it up directly right now, but as I recall it is 6.5 hours and they have a number of sloops & catamarans that they contract with depending on the number of passengers.

At $99 it is no more expensive than New Horizon's cash price ($75) plus cab fare and less than their non-cash price ($96) plus can fare. No transportation worries either.

Shared in good will despite 1995.... :-)

Hi HuskerDan,

It looks to me like the "Caribbean Sail to Christmas and Honeymoon Coves" has the same itinerary as New Horizon. Unfortunately the Celebrity web site isn't allowing me to pull it up directly right now, but as I recall it is 6.5 hours and they have a number of sloops & catamarans that they contract with depending on the number of passengers.

At $99 it is no more expensive than New Horizon's cash price ($75) plus cab fare and less than their non-cash price ($96) plus can fare. No transportation worries either.

Shared in good will despite 1995.... :-)

LOL! Ah yes, I remember that game well! :)

Thanks. I thought that was the one but wasn't sure. Looks like we will book that excursion. I rarely book cruise excursions but for peace of mind, I think it is worth it this time. We are on vacation after all and want to relax :)

Dan