Paul's Palace (Pavlosk): St Petersburg

poss

I'm trying to decide whether to sign up for Voyager's excursion both to Catherine's Palace (Pushkin) and to Paul's (Pavlosk). There's a tour that includes both, but I'm not sure whether it's worth the long day. I never see mention of Paul's Palace and would be pleased to hear reports. Thanks!

Aqua-- Thanks for your reply (I'm hoping I'll get others also). Actually, we're more interested in the grounds, I think, than in the insides of all these palaces. Pavlosk Park is what really appealed to me. If we could, we'd probably spend all our time at these various places just strolling the grounds-- but I don't think that'll be possible. Hermitage is the one place I'm truly interested in seeing inside (and Yusopov, tho I'm afraid we won't make it to that palace).

If you are interested in the grounds, then you might want to consider going to Peterhof. I believe the gardens are modeled on Versailles, and I found the fountains and such to be even more impressinve than Versailles. Catherine's Palace also has nice grounds, as does Paul's Palace, but Peterhof is the one that stands out in my mind. (probably because of the fountains and the Gulf of Finland setting) The fountains were destroyed during the war and have been restored. If you want to see the inside of a palace, you could go in either Peterhof or Catherine's Palace, as they are similarly styled. I agree the Hermitage is a must see. It is also very ornate and the art and history treasures are wonderful.

We are scheduled to see Peterhof also-- the previous day, along with a tour of the city. That's why I was wondering if perhaps Pavlosk wasn't all that "necessary." (I do worry that we're scheduling too much.)

thanks!

Regarding the palace interiors, the Amber Room in Catherine's Palace is such a special sight, with all the mystery and drama that surrounded the original room's disappearance, that I can't imagine going to St. Petersburg and not seeing it.

Go to the Hermitage website, as someone here suggested, and look at their collection to pick out artworks you want to be sure to see. Our Red October guide asked if there was anything specific we wanted to see before going in and I wish I had been more prepared, especially since the Impressionist rooms were closed that morning. I gather temporary closures of certain rooms aren't that unusual so it might be a good idea to have backup plans in case it happens to you.

Archived