Carenage - worth exploring?

jerrib

Hi, If we walk to Carenage is there an accessible beach nearby that we can walk to?

No you will need to take a local bus, a taxi or a water taxi to get to Grand Anse Beach which is the closest to town.

Bus - local flavour, sounds and speeds :D ec2.50 but you will need to go to the bus station (hang a left out of the terminal and keep going till you see the bus terminal and ask for a No1 to Grand Anse. YOu may wait a while for one to fill or you may be immediately whisked away to your destination. Either way you will have a safe trip and we are all super friendly folk :)

Taxi - the local taxi association can take you to the beach if that is al you want to do or you may be able to negotiate a nice mini tour to take in some sights and then a drop at the beach. Not going to quote as it varies on numbers of folks and what you plan to do on the day

Water Taxi - from cruise ship to beach and back again. I think it is US$4 per person each way but hearing tales of they wont let you buy a one way - am investigating that one and will update as and when I get an answer.

We paid $69 each in February of this year.

Am reliably informed the price hasn't changed from 2014 prices. Also worth noting that unlike some of the others the fee for access to the Marine Protected Area in which the sculptures lie, all snorkel equipment is included in the price. Also I hear they give full refunds if the ship doesn't dock due to bad weather or terrible sea conditions - some of the dive operations do not offer this refund. Worth checking with the others to see if they do the same.:o

• 3 weeks later...
Am reliably informed the price hasn't changed from 2014 prices. Also worth noting that unlike some of the others the fee for access to the Marine Protected Area in which the sculptures lie, all snorkel equipment is included in the price. Also I hear they give full refunds if the ship doesn't dock due to bad weather or terrible sea conditions - some of the dive operations do not offer this refund. Worth checking with the others to see if they do the same.:o

We are back from our cruise and would like to report on Grenada Seafaries. For a tour we were not able to take, this is a very positive, A+ review. It was raining off and on the day we arrived--short showers. We met the representative as scheduled. She reported that due to the weather conditions and sea conditions they were probably going to cancel the tour, unless the customers insisted on going.

She reported that clarity of the water was about 50%, not ideal for seeing the sculptures, besides rain and swells. I felt this was very honest and admirable. They could have taken us out, let us snorkle in the murk and rain and taken our money, but chose to lose the day's income rather than give us a poor experience.

We walked into town, via the tunnel--twice actually!--and enjoyed the scenery. We got stuck for about 20 minutes under the eaves of a building while it poured. The rest of the day was just spurts of rain. At least we had a very interesting conversation with a quite unique older island native--she was a character, but very nice. We walked back up through the hills.

Please, Grenada, do not 'smarten up' your picturesque carenge and make it into the mall-like shopping areas other islands are moving too. I can shop in a mall at home! I love the real island flavor of Grenada.

Unfortunate that you didn't get to snorkel the Underwater Sculpture Park; if you ever get a chance to return to Grenada it's definitely worth seeing. But how admirable of Grenada Seafaris to put your satisfaction above all else! :cool:

Glad you made it a great day anyhow. :)

• 3 weeks later...
We did go with a private tour: Grenada Seafaris. They were excellent. I know our ship (Emerald Princess) also had a tour that went there, but we use independent operators at every opportunity.

We're back and had booked a tour with Seafaris. Unfortunately weather conditions were not good--rainy, sea was murky. Seafaris was very professional, met us at the dock area, as planned, and suggested that the tour should be cancelled because sea conditions would not allow very good visibility. I thought that was very honest of them as they could have taken our money, done the tour, and we would have known no better.