I-Phones on Ship

TNIris

I do not touch my phone on vacation. If you desperately want to keep in touch with others, walkie-talkies are good. I turn my phone off and throw it in the safe. I bring a travel alarm clock (battery powered). That way i dont have a phone charger hogging precious outlet space, or worry about it being stolen, lost, or damaged.

We also have sprint, and my DH accidentally turned his from airplane mode to regular while showing our table mates a picture of our dogs, while far out at sea. It was an expensive few seconds. In that time somehow several emails, voicemails, texts, and facebook posts all came through, even though we told people not to even try to contact us. Sprint understood, and saw that it was only on for mere seconds, and they removed the charges (like over 30$ worth).

As for apps, just be on vacation! we all had so much fun before phones :-) or carb counters... I cruise to find someplace where we are not distracted by the internet. I unplug so i can plug into my family and my soul!

While it works, I think verizon still sees Puerto Rico as international. Been through this for a while, since we visit there quite a bit. May have changed recently, but for a while, the only carriers who saw them as part of a US package was at&t and sprint.

Took our iphone on our last cruise. Love having it. Never for calling, but good schedule, camera, and note taking. that, and the RCI app lets you download deck plans, so that you can have them and not be hooked up.

Puerto Rico is a part of Verizon's Nation Wide plan. I used my phone there before the cruise with no extra charges. If you go to the Verizon website you can see the maps of all the coverage areas in the Nation Wide plan.

:o

Be gentle, gang. I'm getting my first iPhone this weekend. (Right now, I have a fancy cell phone that folds in half! ;) )

I want to load my iTunes to my new iPhone so I don't have to carry along my iPod (which is a fancy white first gen, btw!).

So....will I be able to turn off everything while on the cruise (airplane mode or something, I'm gathering) and still be able to use my phone like an iPod? I don't want to listen to my music for a week only to find out I've racked up a boatload of charges.

Thanks!

:o

Be gentle, gang. I'm getting my first iPhone this weekend. (Right now, I have a fancy cell phone that folds in half! ;) )

I want to load my iTunes to my new iPhone so I don't have to carry along my iPod (which is a fancy white first gen, btw!).

So....will I be able to turn off everything while on the cruise (airplane mode or something, I'm gathering) and still be able to use my phone like an iPod? I don't want to listen to my music for a week only to find out I've racked up a boatload of charges.

Thanks!

You can listen to music in airplane mode..no cost...

I just tried and nothing works other than the apps that do not have to connect to the Internet. Also I called my number and no calls or voicemail or text comes through while in Airplane mode.

You need to get the wifi from the ship and then apps and I MESSAGE will work without roaming charges. Keep it in airplane mode

You need to get the wifi from the ship and then apps and I MESSAGE will work without roaming charges. Keep it in airplane mode

Correct, no cellular roaming charges, however there will be ship WiFi charges.

Edited by clarea

I have found it cheaper to us ship phone if need be. In port I always find a place with free WiFi then call and text back home over free apps. I usually use magic jack or Google talk. Never got a data cbarge as long as it stays in airplane mode.

Also even though these apps say they only work in US it's not true. I have done this is Mexico, Belize, Honduras, Grand Turk, and Bahamas all with success.

Just a suggestion but hope it helps. Calling at sea is so.expensive.

Sent from my Forums mobile app

Edited by karinvt

• 1 month later...