Current Passport Renewal Times?

Perhaps the OP looked at the State Dept.'s website but wanted to know some real life, recent timeframes for others. Isn't it even a little bit possible that a government website has information that isn't entirely accurate or up to date? Sheesh.

Exactly. That site had the SAME processing time 6 years ago when I got my Passport. It took 13 days to arrive to my mailbox non expedited :rolleyes:

That is a generic "canned" response to cover their butts. Nothing more.

Here's a little legal secret: an American citizen will not be denied entry into the US (unless they are carrying contraband or are intoxicated). They may give you a hard time and send you to a secondary inspection to determine your identity and citizenship if you don't have a passport, but they cannot deny you entry. Now getting an airline to fly you into the US without a passport is different, but I guess Royal Caribbean got around that with the Brilliance incident by chartering their own planes.

Thanks for all the help guys!

It seems like it should be under control- I was thinking the 6 month thing was mandatory but I guess with our itinerary it is not. So his passport will be fine but we will also be bringing the birth certificate for a back up because it would be terrible to get to the pier and be denied boarding- well for him. I'd wave sympathetically at him as the ship pushed away from the pier! :). I plan on doing a review so I'll report back.

I know many are comfortable traveling internationally without a passport but we are not. We have/will fly internationally for both work and fun so the passport is really necessary anyway.

Next cruise isn't until December so he should have enough time after we get home to get the passport renewed before we leave again.

It doesent amaze me, I trust CC folks a lot more then the Government!!:eek:

99.9999% of the time except for yesterday when someone was told that they needed a Visa to enter Vietnam, which is on their Asian itinerary. :eek: Now that time they were given wrong info by a CC person.:D

99.9999% of the time except for yesterday when someone was told that they needed a Visa to enter Vietnam, which is on their Asian itinerary. :eek: Now that time they were given wrong info by a CC person.:D

An American citizen does (!) need a visa to visit Vietnam - the cruise line will arrange it though. We were on one of Royal's first visits to Vietnam and were originally told to obtain our own visa, which we did. Literally the day after our passports came back with the visa, there was a note from Royal saying that they would organize the visa.

An American citizen does (!) need a visa to visit Vietnam - the cruise line will arrange it though. We were on one of Royal's first visits to Vietnam and were originally told to obtain our own visa, which we did. Literally the day after our passports came back with the visa, there was a note from Royal saying that they would organize the visa.

I should have clarified my comment. This is what was posted...

Vietnam - Visa is REQUIRED for USA Citizens . In order to enter Vietnam, you will need a valid passport with at least six months validity remaining and a Vietnamese visa, a visa exemption document, or a written approval letter for a visa upon arrival. You may obtain a visa or a visa exemption document from a Vietnamese embassy or consulate prior to traveling to Vietnam. To obtain a written approval letter to enter, you must contact a travel agency prior to departure.

When, in fact, this is the procedure, just like you indicated........

For Cambodia and Vietnam, ship personnel will assist each guest required to secure a visa for Cambodia and Vietnam and charge the guests onboard SeaPass® account a one-time nominal fee. These visa fees include a small processing charge by our local representative.

This was the procedure when we went to Bali in 2011.

Archived