Solo-cruisers ?

Cotton

There is currently a reduced deposit on the August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess Cruise Critic group cruise that I mentioned several posts back in this thread. Book by Sept. 30 for a reduced deposit of only $100 per person rather than the standard $250 Princess deposit requirement. And those booking by September 30 also receive a Princess coupon book in addition to the shipboard credit and other amenities.

For more information, click on the links below or contact me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

Hi All,

Just a FYI - know we all hate those single supplements. I received a brochure from Viking River Cruises and found that on their Russian and Ukraine river trips there are 8 or 9 single occupancy cabins. They are on the top deck, small but about the same price as a moderate cabin and no supplement. A cruise buddy and I have booked a trip for next Sept. Even though we don't mind sharing a cabin, this will give us each more privacy and space for no more money. We also won't inconvenience the other if one has to cancel for some reason.

Worth a try!!

Pat

I'm thinking of sending my dad on a single's cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions? Its been a few years since our mom died and my sisters and I are trying to encourage him to get out and meet people. Is this a little too much ??

I'm thinking of sending my dad on a single's cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions? Its been a few years since our mom died and my sisters and I are trying to encourage him to get out and meet people. Is this a little too much ??

What a lucky dad he is to have such a considerate daughter! I might have something perfect for you. If you'd like to leave an email address I'll send you the info.

• 2 weeks later...
cotton, you said it perfect. my very first cruise was solo and i loved the fact that i could mingle with the other passengers or just do things on my own. i did not have to answer to anyone about what i would be doing or how much time i spent in the shops or just lounge on the ship. i had a wonderful time being on my own and would not have second thoughts about going solo again. i was always made to feel welcome by the other passengers and i made many new friends. have a good time peggy and let us know how you liked the trip :)

Hi Cotton, I'm new to this topic of single cruising plus 55 yrs old. I have been thinking lately of going on my own but always hesitated; until recently. For a long time I've been thinking of taking a cruise solo. I have been on two other cruises but a long time ago and always with somebody else. I live in New York and the convenience of it all was to easy for me to pass up. All I had to do was hop on. No flying anywhere. How easy. I finally decided to cruise on Carnival Triumph to Canada in September and I'm glad I went. You said it soo perfectly. Just the idea of having some alone time and yet you can mingle where you like to. Went to the lounge every night to hear my favorite group or whatever just doing your own thing. Now I can't wait to go on another. I'm thinking of Carnival Miracle for maybe March... But I wll definitely go somewhere again next year or maybe even take 2 cruises a year. Who knows. But I loved it....

There is currently a promotion on our August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess group cruise allowing bookings for just a $100 pp deposit, even for solo travlers. In addition, the single supplement is still just 150%.

The promotion will end on October 21, 2005. So you can book now with this reduced deposit and still get the great group rates, the $25 pp shipboard credit, the photo voucher, and the other amenities.

For info/pricing, click on the links in the banner below or for more information, email me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

When you're cruising alone, how would you handle dining? I would like to meet people so would it be acceptable to ask for a single ladies table? Just curious And what about excursions to meet people? Thanks for advice

Enjoyed reading this thread as I have posted other solo cruise threads on this venue...but not on the 55+ (although I am 56).

I am on a newsletter for ***** and they now have pricing for single supplements (no age restriction) that are very appealing...the most is 37% additional. Perhaps this information can intice more solos to cruise.

Happy Sailin'

Bernadette:) :cool:

There usually is not a single ladies table. All you can do is ask for a table of a certain size. I would recommend requesting a table for no less than six but preferably eight or ten. As far as shore excursions, it is best to either book the ship excursions or one of the very popular private excursions.

With a group cruise like ours, there is an opportunity to meet people ahead of time via the message boards and then meet on ship for some activities and even sharing shore excursions. If you meet people you want to hang out with or go places with, then you can do that, or you can do things on your own without the group.

We had several singles (age late 40s) in my recent Caribbean Princess group and they all had a great time.. since people tend to have diff. interests they were always doing something with someone and had a great time. We have a decent single rate for the Explorer of the Seas group (see link below) and I know there are several 50+ cruisers going.. You would not be bored :)

My first solo cruise, after my husband died, was on the Star Princess. I was upgraded to a balcony stateroom and was very lonely. I think the ship was just too big and I got the feeling all the fun was going on elsewhere. My table companions kept changing, as there were so many dining options, with the result that I didn't make any friends. I took my son on the next cruise, figuring I was paying extra anyway. It was on the much smaller Pacific Princess, and a lot more fun.

I'm due to sail on the "Discovery" on 29th November. It's only around 20,000 tons, so should be friendlier. They keep a number of double cabins for single occupancy, and only charge around 25% more, so that's a big incentive. I think I'm fairly friendly and outgoing but, in a large ship, it's difficult to bump into the same people twice.

Any tips?

Smaller ships are definitely more conducive to seeing the same person more than once! Although the singles in our Caribbean Princess group hung out with us quite a bit, met other singles and had a ball.

On a small ship like you are going on.. which BTW sounds wonderful:) -- I'd head to the lounge in the evening the first night, participate if there is a group in the game room -- cards, etc. seem to be very popular on these voyages and also the lectures. I think you will find it very difficult to be "lonely" on a voyage such as this. People on board tend to be older, have like interests etc. more so than on the huge ships

• 2 weeks later...

It should work (dcawdrey @ aol.com without the spaces of course). I know she is currently cruising so may not have been responding in the last couple of weeks? I was able to contact here and got the information for the JUGS and am now a "member".

Keep trying and good luck!

Froufie

As a 55 plus year-old solo cruiser (actually 58 years old) . . . I'm getting ready to go on my third cruise alone . . . and I can't wait! I too would be more than happy to answer anyone's question about what it's like to sail solo as a "mature" woman. :p

Hi ladycaveat, what did you do for your meals? I think I would feel awkward about the eating part. I mean I wouldn't want to feel like I'm intruding or anything. Thanks for any helpful hints.

Hi, Mary,

I am 69 years old and have been on about a dozen cruises, about half by myself. The best way to handle meals is to realize that nearly everyone there is expecting to meet new people, and this can be an opportunity to meet all kinds of new people. I like freestyle dining as I find a waiter I want and always ask for him/her - and sometimes I have been seated with the most interesting people. Once in a while, you get a dud, but generally, people are very eager to talk and be friendly. I am very overweight but generally that has not hindered me at all - only when I try to go off the ship by myself. If you have assigned dining, join a big table so you have lots of people to talk to - and if you aren't happy with them, ask to be moved.

Good luck and have a great time.

Kathleen

Hi krosmon, thanks for the good advice. I'm kind of starting going solo just recently so this is all new to me. Actually the Carnival Triumph trip to New England/Canada was my second solo one. I've been on cruises before but not by myself. I kind of like it; because you don't have to worry about anybody but yourself for a whole week or so. It's a great feeling to be on your own for a while. By the way, I'm 55 years old.

I noticed that you went on the NCL Crown. What did you think of her? They have a great itinerary on Bermuda but I'm afraid because she's a small ship. How did you feel about that? I did the Dawn a while ago. She's a beautiful ship. Thanks again for the info. Mary

Hi ladycaveat, what did you do for your meals? I think I would feel awkward about the eating part. I mean I wouldn't want to feel like I'm intruding or anything. Thanks for any helpful hints.

Actually, I was a flight attendant for twenty years before going to law school (1967 to 1987). I love meeting new people (think that was one of the reasons I was accepted as a "stewardess" with United . . . "and why do you want to be stewardess?" "Well because I want to meet new people and travel to places I've never been" . . . :p ). Tee Hee . . . I guess nothing has changed . . . I still enjoy meeting new people and traveling to places I've never been.

I always ask to sit at a table with the most people (Carnival is great because they try to sit those traveling solo with others that are traveling alone). Nothing against families and couples traveling together but I prefer sitting with other singles. I really don't find it awkward at all . . . you just introduce yourself and ask everyone their name, where they're from, is this their first cruise, if not, what other cruises have they been on and where did they go, what do they plan to do in the ports we'll be stopping at . . . :D

I've found that if you just relax, smile a lot, be open and friendly (and ask a lot of questions) . . . you'll have a fantastic time. I'm still friends with so many that I have met on prior cruises. A cruise (especially when traveling alone) . . . is the perfect vacation. You meet lots of strangers and leave with lots of friends . . . :)

Mary, you asked how I liked the Crown. I was on her for 2 weeks from Valapraiso to Buenos Aires last year. I liked her very much - much better than the Dream or the Wind. There are still over 1,000 people on board and the ship is a little classier than the other two NCL ships I sailed on. She is older but I wouldn't hesitate to take her again if she was doing an itinerary I liked. One of the dining room staff was a charming young man I met on the Wind the year before.

Don't let her size deter you. She is a great ship and so is her crew.

Cheers to us all - and here's to more just like us!

I probably shouldn't even be on this board, cause I'm not 55 (will turn 50 in January), but I just had to respond to this thread.

I discovered crusing in 2004 quite by accident. I attended a writer's conference aboard HAL's Rotterdam. Before that, I took vacations with my parents. Well, mom passed away about three years ago, and dad simply doesn't have the ambition to travel without her. I can understand that.

I always had multiple jobs or school and one job ... a very busy life. I also work "non-traditional" work hours, and thus making close friends is difficult. The friends I have are either married and vacation with their spouses and children, or they simply wouldn't have the financial resources to cruise. So, I knew that if I wanted to continue to take vacations, I'd have to go it alone. I figured going alone wouldn't be any fun, so why bother?

So I went on this writer's conference cruise. Though I was traveling solo, the conference helped me find a roommate to offset my costs. I got on the boat and fell in love with cruising. It was truly a "eureka" experience. I kept thinking throughout the course of that week how much fun cruising would be as a solo. My cabin mate was okay, but she was a lot younger than me and we really didn't share very many interests (other than writing).

While onboard I booked another cruise ... this time completely solo. I haven't looked back since.

I realize I could share, but like some others on this thread, I find that I just prefer to have my own space. I also like to know that my cabin is there for me to retreat to ... and not have to worry about someone else being there who will want to talk or watch tv or whatever, when I am trying to take a nap. :) I also find that, from a practical standpoint, you can get good deals on the single supplements ... especially if you don't mind traveling during "off-peak" times. I always book my cruises for when the kids are in school and there are no major holidays looming.

I too have met so many wonderful people ... both on the roll calls here and once onboard. I find that cruising is the perfect vacation for a single person ... because people tend to be friendly on the boat ... and much more willing to meet new people.

I too prefer the traditional dining so that I can meet tablemates. Often we've gone to the shows together after dinner and maybe even spent a little time in one of the lounges afterward for a nightcap. I generally do group shore excursions because I don't like venturing off too much on my own in port ... especially the Caribbean ports. I just prefer to be with a group in that situation. But on the boat, I have no problem going off by myself and doing those things that I want to do.

I am taking my best cruise yet in January ... 30 days aboard HAL's Amsterdam to Hawaii and the South Pacific. I tend to stay away from the seven-day cruises because I've found less opportunities to meet new people onboard those sailings. Often they are filled with families and couples who, while certainly friendly enough, often prefer to stick to their own groups. It is the longer cruises, I find, where you have an older population onboard ship ... and a very, very friendly bunch.

I hope I get to sail with some of you one day. It would be a real treat. I don't suppose any of you are sailing the Amsterdam in January, huh? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Nice post, glad you enjoy going solo.

Now, get your Dad to get a solo cabin and have him enjoy cruising with you. When my husband died 20 yrs ago, I didn't want to do anything by myself but there are so many wonderful friendly people to meet.

My first solo coming up in April aboard the Dawn. Before that I always shared, once when I was 70 with a perfect stranger....a gentleman from Canada. One of nicest trips ever.

Doris

Archived