How to get discounts now?

DaisyL

Previously, I would investigate rates on line and my travel agent would quote her rates. If I mentioned I found cheaper rates, she may match or beat the price I found from a well known on-line company, or maybe give us a good GTY rate. We have booked 6 cruises with her over the last 4 years with at least 2 cabins to 5 cabins for each cruise. Several times we paid the rate that she had quoted, which was the same as online.

This week I am trying to negotiate a cruise to Hawaii for Oct. '06 on the POAm for definitely 2 (up to 5) balcony cabins, with flights from the East coast, and 3 night pre-cruise hotel stay (once we get the quotes, I'll get the committments from the other couples). Well right now, she has quoted me initial rates (waiting for Lat. member rates) and they are exactly the same as on the NCL site and her 'nationally known' travel agency web site.

I can't find any other rates right now on-line, so how do we go about getting a discount, or other perk, or should we expect to pay the published rates ? We have always been pleased with our travel agents service and like to book with her.

Thanks for all your help on these boards...

How funny that you are posting this today...

I actually booked the Pride of America for Sep 2006 yesterday, but haven't told anyone, because people will think we are nuts booking this far in advance. I did it this early, because we wanted a balcony cabin on the very back of the ship.

I have found recently that it is nearly impossible to get the agents to discount much these days. It has been said that the cruise lines, NCL in particular do not allow it anymore.

My agent originally gave me a price that was slightly less that the NCL website. I called two online agencies that always seem to advertise really low prices. They both quoted me nearly $200 per person less than my agent. I called her back, and she was able to cut about $120 per person off of our total price with a combination of reductions to the cruise fare, the insurance cost, and eliminating the booking fee. She insists that the agents that are selling at the really low rates are doing this against the cruise line policies, and that the cruise lines could refuse to let them sell for them at some point. I do trust my agent and the company she works for, as I have used them for many years. Even though her price was still a little higher, I booked with her. Especially this far out, I want to know my agent will be around when it comes time to go.

Also, just because an agency's website does not show your sailing date yet, does not mean that they can't get you a quote if you call them. That's how I got the two comparative prices. They initially said that if it wasn't online, then they couldn't get it. But after I told them it was available on the NCL site, they were able to look it up.

t/a's are still allowed to discount the regular fares, they just cannot publicly advertise anything lower than what NCL approves. So, in order to get lower rates than what we see online we have to actually pick up the phone & call the t/a's:o

Thanks Joanskid and niya for the advice ... I don't mind doing my homework and look up rates on line but I get a 'funny feeling' calling other TAs, and asking for quotes because I know I will not book with them anyway. I just feel I'm wasting their time.

I think I'll use the approach that, I know I could get discounts calling other TAs, so what can she do for us ? Once I find out how many cabins we'll need, we'll just ask for a discount straight out ...

Thanks again, I'll let you know ...

In addition to calling TA's (which you should do!), be sure to check out group rates. There are many groups available through CC with group rates and some offer low deposits and/or cabin credits. I know that may not help if you have specific dates, but it may help others that can be a little flexible if other dates are available with good group rates. :)

I did a lot of investigation and price comparisons before booking our Pride of America cruise for Spring Break 2006. The most I was able to get reduced from a travel agent was $200 off the entire package which includes voyage fare, air, insurance, taxes and port charges. Hope this helps a little, sorry I don't have better news for you.

After booking my cruise with a TA, I found the price a little lower on the web. I called her and she said she would match it. When she called me back to comfirm she had even found it cheaper than I did. She saved us 250 buck each. She told me it doesn't hurt to call her. She will do her best to get us the cheapest price.

Thanks all, I will continue to do my 'homework' but we will definitely book the cruise with our TA. It used to be a whole lot easier when there were on-line 'price wars' to compare with.

As far as following the fares, my experience has been they have all gone up ... not down. I guess I get the good rates by booking far ahead (mostly 1 year, with this one 14 months ahead) and I must choose the most popular cruises ... :)

Hi,

I don´t know, how to receiver a better rate - but perhaps this is something to explain:

I have seen an article in a german travel agent magazine (worked for a travel agency for years and have a subscription til today), that the cruise market is the fastest growing market at the moment.

Some cruise lines have a 200 % plus in bookings, they were so fully booked, so why should they give away the rooms cheaper.....

I think to remember, that NCL announced, they hat between January and May the same number of passengers than during the whole last year.

Sorry for any mistakes I made...

Wendy

Archived