Crew Member Salaries

theshowmestate

And in some cases their "home" country is where they originated and are a citizen' date=' but have not even visited for many years.

On our most recent cruise we talked with a crew member who was visiting his "home" country and seeing some relatives for the first time in 6 years. He had married after joining DCL and took his time off in his wife's country.

I agree that there should be a level of pay for a given job and country of origin should not be an issue. However, DCL is not going to change their policies based on our opinions here. They have a responsibility to both their CMs and their shareholders. If a given CM is unhappy with the salary he is given, nothing is forcing him or her to remain with DCL. And yet, some have been with the line for 15+ years. (granted, with promotions, etc.) DCL must be doing something to keep them.[/quote']

Agreed about not having to work there.

No-one is held hostage or forced to work there.

It just still frustrates me that they shamelessly promote how diverse and equal they are to everyone, regardless of race, sex, religion, sexuality, and yet discriminate against CM's in regards to pay. Do as I say, not as I do.

Playing Snow White on the outside, whilst secretly acting like Cruella on the inside especially when it comes to pay.

ex techie

Agreed about not having to work there.

No-one is held hostage or forced to work there.

It just still frustrates me that they shamelessly promote how diverse and equal they are to everyone, regardless of race, sex, religion, sexuality, and yet discriminate against CM's in regards to pay. Do as I say, not as I do.

Playing Snow White on the outside, whilst secretly acting like Cruella on the inside especially when it comes to pay.

ex techie

It's up to the line to pay each person as little as possible. If any person agrees that it's enough money, then they have a deal otherwise the line will have to up the offer or keep looking.

It has nothing to do with equality, it's an individual's choice as to how much they think that their labor is worth.

It seems that DCL has worked out a formula regarding how much they are going to pay people from different areas of the world based on their experience with how much said people are willing to work for.

Would you assemble iPhones for $10/day? No? Well, there are people elsewhere that are willing and they are going to get the job.

So what does your average server makes with tips on any of the cruise ships? Are they all about the same?

My understanding is that a server is one of the better paid positions on the ship that is not officer level.

From DCL, they get $50 either weekly or in each check (every other week). We've never been clear on that. In addition, they are provided with room and board, costumes including laundry and maintenance of the, medical benefits as long as they stay healthy, and transportation "all the way home to my front door" at the end of the contract. If they opt for another contract, they receive their transportation to the port to catch the ship. The CM provides shoes that meet DCL standards and is responsible for providing and caring for personal clothing including undergarments worn with any costume (DCL talk for uniform).

From tips, they get stiffed much less often with the automatic system. IF the ship is full, a normal serving team has 18 guests per seating, or 36 per week. 36 times the suggested tip of $28 per week = basically $1000 per week. HOWEVER, the ship doesn't always cruise full, and they might have a slightly increased or decreased load even when full. Many people tip over the suggested, but a few remove or decrease tips. And their work week is a whole lot more than 40 hours. Still, $4K per month is a reasonable approximation of a server's tips.

This amount is more than double what a skilled individual in a non-tipped position might make.

My understanding is that a server is one of the better paid positions on the ship that is not officer level.

From DCL' date=' they get $50 either weekly or in each check (every other week). We've never been clear on that. In addition, they are provided with room and board, costumes including laundry and maintenance of the, medical benefits as long as they stay healthy, and transportation "all the way home to my front door" at the end of the contract. If they opt for another contract, they receive their transportation to the port to catch the ship. The CM provides shoes that meet DCL standards and is responsible for providing and caring for personal clothing including undergarments worn with any costume (DCL talk for uniform).

From tips, they get stiffed much less often with the automatic system. IF the ship is full, a normal serving team has 18 guests per seating, or 36 per week. 36 times the suggested tip of $28 per week = basically $1000 per week. HOWEVER, the ship doesn't always cruise full, and they might have a slightly increased or decreased load even when full. Many people tip over the suggested, but a few remove or decrease tips. And their work week is a whole lot more than 40 hours. Still, $4K per month is a reasonable approximation of a server's tips.

This amount is more than double what a skilled individual in a non-tipped position might make.[/quote']

I think this is a very good post and it's my personal understanding.

I do know on Carnival they don't have dental insurance because our server was having a toothache and said they don't pay for it. Also they have a very short time in a port to get to a dentist. I felt so sorry for her. Her husband also worked on the ship and seven year old daughter back home with grandma.

Archived