Crew Member Salaries

theshowmestate

The non-tipped positions salaries obviously vary. We've met engineers who were able to improve their English and opted to become servers because they could make more in that position!

On the other hand, many positions require excellent English as well as several years in a shoreside similar position in order to be hired. Those people receive salaries appropriate to their skills AND have the benefit of essentially no living expenses. Per a couple of CMs, if they don't choose to "party hardy," they can save some serious money while on board.

As to the suits...the more stripes they have, the better salaries and perks. High enough rank can have family stay in their suites on the ship. One CD used to have her nanny and her toddler cruise with her.

The officers are paid in line with Merchant Marine pay scales. Currently the officers would be in a range of $38k to $75k per year. The top jobs such as captain & chief engineer would be in the $120k-$220k range depending on the size of the ship and other factors. The interesting thing is that I have read there are tug boat captains who push cargo up and down the Mississippi river and around the Panama Canal who are making around $400k per year.

Lounge technicians and those that work on stage in the WDT (setting the pyro, scenery changes etc get paid around $1900-$2100 for 4 weeks work, minimum 70 week, but maximum 93 hours?) Unless your from a poor country, then the pay drops, so a Australian tech or YAC may be on $1900 and a Argentinian Tech or Philippine YAC may be on $1400-1500 for doing the same job.

It's the same for Cruise Staff.

Those in the booth in WDT are classed as officers and are on around $2100-3200 for 4 weeks, but unlimited hours, single cabin but have to work what ever the hours are. Just get it done.

The Bridge Officers are on a high salary and get paid when on Vacation.

The scrubbers in the engine room are on an unbelievably low wage, $700-800 every 4 weeks.

HTH's

ex techie

..... Unless your from a poor country, then the pay drops, so a Australian tech or YAC may be on $1900 and a Argentinian Tech or Philippine YAC may be on $1400-1500 for doing the same job....

I can understand different jobs/titles paying differently. I cannot believe the pay would vary for the same job depending on your country of origin. :eek:

Please tell me you miss typed that statement.

Happens all the time., they are contracted through agencies who set the rates.

Bear in mind however, someone in Indonesia getting paid $1400 is actually making more than an Australian being paid $1900 when you consider currency value and cost of living.

I can understand different jobs/titles paying differently. I cannot believe the pay would vary for the same job depending on your country of origin. :eek:

Please tell me you miss typed that statement.

Also, remember that since the ship is registered in the Bahamas. DCL does not withhold any taxes or pay any taxes on behalf of the CM. If the home country levies a tax, that is the responsibility of the CM.

And yes, salaries vary based on country of origin, DCL hires agencies to do initial screenings and testing for them. I honestly don't know who determines the salary, but DCL obviously controls the max and pay a fee to the agency for its services.

Also' date=' remember that since the ship is registered in the Bahamas. DCL does not withhold any taxes or pay any taxes on behalf of the CM. If the home country levies a tax, that is the responsibility of the CM.

And yes, salaries vary based on country of origin, DCL hires agencies to do initial screenings and testing for them. I honestly don't know who determines the salary, but DCL obviously controls the max and pay a fee to the agency for its services.[/quote']

Agree!

DCL went through a phase of hiring only Indian technicians as they could pay them a lower salary than those from other countries.

Not that they were not competent, but they didn't always get or understand what was asked of them or communicated to them. Safety was called into question on more than a few occasions when things were not understood..

DCL then went back to hiring from mostly Western countries for technicians.

ex techie

I was quite surprised to learn what some servers did before their current job. We had one who was a Ph.D. clinical psychologist in his home country and spoke 9 languages--but he told us that he made a lot more money in tips on the ship than he could earn at home. But the one that really shocked me was the one who said he had been an engineer on the ship...but assistant servers got a lot more money, so he improved his English enough to get that position.

I was quite surprised to learn what some servers did before their current job. We had one who was a Ph.D. clinical psychologist in his home country and spoke 9 languages--but he told us that he made a lot more money in tips on the ship than he could earn at home. But the one that really shocked me was the one who said he had been an engineer on the ship...but assistant servers got a lot more money' date=' so he improved his English enough to get that position.[/quote']

Which is also true.

But I would think the engineer was in a lower paid position, possibly in the engine room.

It is such a shame someone with a Ph.D. in clinical psychology has to not use their talent and ability to make a better income.

I just hope he is happy in his job.

ex techie

Which is also true.

But I would think the engineer was in a lower paid position, possibly in the engine room.

It is such a shame someone with a Ph.D. in clinical psychology has to not use their talent and ability to make a better income.

I just hope he is happy in his job.

ex techie

They don't make much in the US either relatively. The field is glutted.

Why is that?

They are making what the market will bear and that's enough to get plenty of people to apply for the positions.

True but lets be honest...the G8 countries completely take advantage of the labor pool in the less fortunate countries. Its economics but it doesn't mean its fair.

And that's why we will now pay more attention to which country the CMs are from.

Of course I'll have to have a World Bank cheat sheet. lol.

I have a suspicion the "poor countries" will now receive a larger tip, at least from us. :D

We may have some calculus due to balance the tips. My wife will be all over this algorithm. lol

Thanks for the info, that I will share.

True but lets be honest...the G8 countries completely take advantage of the labor pool in the less fortunate countries. Its economics but it doesn't mean its fair.

If offering someone a job and them accepting it is taking advantage of them then you're right.

As far as I know, nobody aboard the ship is there against their will.

Yes, everyone has their own opinions. I stick by mine that it is a question of fairness, not economics. In the military & merchant marines you get paid based on rank and time of service. If you do a poor job you do not move up in rank. If you really do poorly you get discharged. If you do an excellent job you move up quickly. There is no pay difference if your family is from a penthouse in New York or a slum in Watts. That is what I would like to see on cruise ships. Just my opinion....

Yes, everyone has their own opinions. I stick by mine that it is a question of fairness, not economics. In the military & merchant marines you get paid based on rank and time of service. If you do a poor job you do not move up in rank. If you really do poorly you get discharged. If you do an excellent job you move up quickly. There is no pay difference if your family is from a penthouse in New York or a slum in Watts. That is what I would like to see on cruise ships. Just my opinion....

I understand that point of view.

And the economic argument is that the line should pay the lowest wages that it can but still get the job done. They have a duty to shareholders to produce the highest return on investment.

I understand that point of view.

And the economic argument is that the line should pay the lowest wages that it can but still get the job done. They have a duty to shareholders to produce the highest return on investment.

Whilst I "get" that argument, doesn't it contradict Disney's policy of all being equal and non discriminatory?

Fair and equal pay for all and to not discriminate against a CM?

It's all good having policies, endless lessons on diversity and ethic's, as long as you stick to them when hiring and paying employee's.

This is a clear violation of what Disney say they stand for?

ex techie

Not really. What most lines try to do is end up with a salary system that is roughly commensurate across country of origin. As an example only, lets say the job of a cabin steward is valued at $500 per month using a FL cost of living standard.

If you convert the various salaries by exchange rate and cost of living adjustment, I suspect you would find they come out fairly similar.

Cost of living factors are a standard part of business analysis. Its the same reason why someone who works in NYC may get paid more than someone who works the same position in Dayton, Ohio.

There are some other factors too like Agency fees and operations, etc that can regionally affect salaries as well.

Whilst I "get" that argument, doesn't it contradict Disney's policy of all being equal and non discriminatory?

Fair and equal pay for all and to not discriminate against a CM?

It's all good having policies, endless lessons on diversity and ethic's, as long as you stick to them when hiring and paying employee's.

This is a clear violation of what Disney say they stand for?

ex techie

Not really. What most lines try to do is end up with a salary system that is roughly commensurate across country of origin. As an example only, lets say the job of a cabin steward is valued at $500 per month using a FL cost of living standard.

If you convert the various salaries by exchange rate and cost of living adjustment, I suspect you would find they come out fairly similar.

Cost of living factors are a standard part of business analysis. Its the same reason why someone who works in NYC may get paid more than someone who works the same position in Dayton, Ohio.

There are some other factors too like Agency fees and operations, etc that can regionally affect salaries as well.

Whilst I agree with your NYC and Ohio example, in this case both people are performing the same role and duties in the same exact location though.

Given that an average CM is onboard for either 8 months or 10 months a year, they both share many common expenses whilst onboard.

I'm pretty sure DCL does not allow procurement ally's to charge the CM a fee (except from what I understand the Philippines Gov. do take a cut of the CM's wage).

It just doesn't sit well with me that one person can have their pay lowered (discriminated against) because of where they originate from and only reside for a couple of months a year.

ex techie

And in some cases their "home" country is where they originated and are a citizen, but have not even visited for many years.

On our most recent cruise we talked with a crew member who was visiting his "home" country and seeing some relatives for the first time in 6 years. He had married after joining DCL and took his time off in his wife's country.

I agree that there should be a level of pay for a given job and country of origin should not be an issue. However, DCL is not going to change their policies based on our opinions here. They have a responsibility to both their CMs and their shareholders. If a given CM is unhappy with the salary he is given, nothing is forcing him or her to remain with DCL. And yet, some have been with the line for 15+ years. (granted, with promotions, etc.) DCL must be doing something to keep them.

Archived