Where to get dolmus in kusadasi for ephesus

DW and I did it on our third visit to Kusadasi (about 8 years ago) and it was quite an experience. You cross the street from the port and just start walking directly away from the port going through the bazaar. It is about a 20 min walk to the Central Bus Station (more like a large parking area) and I suggest you walk a few blocks and then start asking locals for directions because it is hard to explain. But its almost a straight shot inland (mostly through the shopping area). The Dolmus's are min-buses and you do want to stand :). When we did it there was no bus that went to the ruins so we had to take the Selcuk bus and get off along the main road at the turn-off to Ephesus (our driver and a couple of passengers told us where to hop off). Once off the Dolmus its about a mile walk up the road to get to the main (upper) entrance to the ruins (the lower exit is closer but most go to the top and then walk down). You will need Turkish Lira to pay for both the Dolmus and entrance fee to the ruins.

If this is your first visit we would strongly urge that you join (or book your own) private tour to Ephesus and the Terrace Houses (part of the ruins but with an additional admission fee paid near the Terrace House entrance).

Hank

P.S. It is possible that they now have a Dolmus that goes to the ruins...but we have never heard of it.

P.P.S. We have heard that its possible to catch the Dolumus along the sea Promanade but think that even if its true its a bad idea. The Dolmus is not very big and you want to get a seat. The odds of getting a seat would be better at the bus station since that is the origin of bus run.

We used Hanks instructions 2 yrs ago to go to Efes (that's what's written on the front of the dolmus ur looking for to get to Ephesus). We did not walk all the way to the bus terminal area. We caught the mini van about 6-8 blocks from the cruise terminal. There are a few stores right at the cruise terminal. The main bazaar area is at the exit of the cruise terminal. It would be easiest to walk on the main road on the left periphery of the bazaar. Continue through the pedestrian area Going away from the ship. You will pass a HSBC ATM machine here. Walk straight away from the ship for 4-5 blocks to a main intersection and you will see mini vans on each corner, look for the ones with Efes on the front window. The Turks are incredibly hospitable. Simply ask which dolmus to get on and they may even walk you to it. There were ppl going to work at Efes on our dolmus. One lady was a tour guide so we followed her to the lower gate.

We got on a dolmus early in the morning before most tour groups left and got off at the main road for the lower entrance to Efes. This is not where the tour buses let off but where they will be picking up the tour groups at the end. It is about a 10 min walk to the gate from the main road. When you get to a split in the road. take the one against traffic, i believe its the one on the left, much shorter. We decided to walk to the upper entrance at a moderate pace and then go back to the lower gate. Essentially seeing everything twice. This allowed us to take pictures at the major sites before it was inundated with the mob.

When u reach the upper gate u will see what seems like hundreds of tour groups. Efes is very well marked interns of historical information. I'm not sure if this is poor etiquette, but you can easily eavesdrop in on tour guides along the way. When u reach the lower gate again, you can either take a taxi back to kusadasi or Selcuk. We opted to walk to Selcuk from Efes. This was about a 40 minute walk on one flat road. I imagine you could take a dolmus from where u were initially dropped off but who knows when they will be coming by.

Selcuk is a wonderful town, like a normal middle class neighborhood. Cafes. Grocery stores. There's a bus terminal that uncanny miss. Simply jump in a dolmus for kusadasi and you'll be back to the ship in 15-20 mins.

Bklynhtsnyc

Just want to add. I would not wait for a dolmus to return to kusadasi on the main road. From what it seemed, the dolmus leaves the main terminal in Selcuk only when they are just about full. And there really are no stops or reason for ppl to get off from Selcuk to Efes area. So the dolmus might just go rt by you because there is no room. So that is why I would recommend going to selcuk from Efes and then returning to the ship. Otherwise you can take a cab from the lower gate.

Enjoy

Manson

Bklynhtsnyc

Archived